Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,288 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some more information on 1300 Lafayette, since there are no online reviews.... Does anyone have answers to the following questions:

1. Do a lot of young professionals live in this coop?
2. Is it safe to walk downtown (at night) from Lafayette Park or is a cab necessary?
3. I've seen single bedrooms for around 10-15k, why are they so cheap?
4. In terms of social atmosphere, would it be better for a 22 year old recent graduate to live in the Detroit City Apartments or 1300 East Lafayette?

My employer partakes in the live Detroit incentive, so I'm trying to decide if I want to take advantage of the 20k forgivable loan and purchase something downtown.... I'm looking for a somewhat social atmosphere though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 AM

40 posts, read 121,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown313 View Post
I'm looking for some more information on 1300 Lafayette, since there are no online reviews.... Does anyone have answers to the following questions:

1. Do a lot of young professionals live in this coop?
2. Is it safe to walk downtown (at night) from Lafayette Park or is a cab necessary?
3. I've seen single bedrooms for around 10-15k, why are they so cheap?
4. In terms of social atmosphere, would it be better for a 22 year old recent graduate to live in the Detroit City Apartments or 1300 East Lafayette?

My employer partakes in the live Detroit incentive, so I'm trying to decide if I want to take advantage of the 20k forgivable loan and purchase something downtown.... I'm looking for a somewhat social atmosphere though.
Not sure of the demographic on this property, however, I do know that it has the reputation of being a nice place to be given the concierge desk, location, etc.

I wouldn't necessarily see an issue walking since its not far, just a couple blocks really. You can also take the People Mover to move further into downtown from Greektown.

There are a lot of co-ops in that area for around the same price. The reasons vary depending on the co-op board. You have to keep in mind that a co-op is not a condo in the sense that you do not truly own your unit. You do not take title. Instead, you are buying into the corporation that owns the complex. If you are looking into the forgivable loan, you would need to know if the lender is even willing to finance a co-op. As a real estate professional, there are some lenders who will not finance a co-op because you don't actually own it.

Socially your last question would be up to you. There are other apartments in the area of 1300 Lafayette that are not co-op. You could do a short lease and then make the determination of what suits your needs best.

Good luck and welcome to Detroit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: