Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 10:42 PM

36 posts, read 68,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rami View Post
Again, i would STRONGLY caution against moving here, the job market is TERRIBLE.. Michigan now has the worst unemployment in the country.

I agree to what the another post said above. According to the state of Michigan, our unemployment rate is at 7.1% .. The national average is 4.3%.

Things are bad here and they are getting worse. I personally have lost 30K in equity in my home in the last 12 months alone. I am leaving Michigan for better jobs elsewhere and I do plan to come back, but not until there is some stability around here. I will deeply miss Michigan, but the uncertainty of the job market is not worth the constant stress and worry.

Good luck to you.
30K is bad, our house lost a good 40-50K in value this year so far.

We're sticking it out.. We don't owe much on our house, the wife has a great job.. I can't find ANY work in my career field, and every other career path seems to suck in Michigan except health care.

We've decided that its only going to get worse across the country, so moving won't be the silver bullet, and would just cost us too much money. We'll hunker down here, brace for impact, and hope for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 03:17 AM

153 posts, read 711,152 times
My two cents...

1. I totally agree.. the Job market is HORRIBLE in Michigan. I have a ton of friends leaving in droves from that state (i just left as well).

2. Detroit is not the place to move. Stay in Wisconsin If you must move, move to the Northern Suburbs of Detroit (Rochester, Utica, Macomb, St. Clair Shores, etc.) Avoid anything south of 12 mile road in my opinion. If you husband works near 8 mile rd, bring a bullet proof vest

3. If you must move to Michigan, I would suggest Grand Rapids. It's the boomtown at the moment, and you'll have the best chance of finding jobs there. Though the market still stinks.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:41 PM

106 posts, read 573,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd251 View Post
Hello! I just have a few questions for those of you that know the Detroit area. My family may be moving there shortly for my husband's new job. We have a annual income of around 60k. I plan on staying home with my 1 year old son. I am trying to find an area that is both generally "safe" and somewhat busy. Since I'll be home during the day I am looking for places to do things and meet people. Any suggestions on location? Any tips? I assume that your weather is closely related to mine since we are almost at the same longitude and area. I dont think we want to buy a home but maybe a condo or an apartment to buy? Any help would be awesome! Thanks!!
Consider Plymouth-Canton.
We are doing really good. Unlike other cities
Lots of stuff to do...great place for kids.
Zero crime.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 8,046 times
Hi and welcome to Michigan. The booming area in Mich. is Livingston Co. awsome area. I moved here 2 years ago from the Westland area. There are high priced homes to condos to lower priced homes. If you like to sky there is Mt. Brighton. They are already making snow! You are close to the expressways, 275, 69, 696 and 23 here.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,025 times
Default MI doesn't WANT to improve

Michigan is stuck with old ideas that cater only to white automotive working families and not to young or old people - just people in the middle raising kids. But what about before kids? After kids? No transit, nothing to do, just pathetic. Its a one horse town - the car business, an industry that is drunk on yesterdays success and builds garbage and blames everybody else for its low standards. They move production out of the USA while all the other "foreign" makers come TO the USA. So there's no excuse. The industry needs to "take personal responsibility".

The citizens of Michigan are the other problem - trained by the car industry to be nothing more than car biz cogs, Michiganians don't travel, don't see other cities that have better urban planning, don't demand better, don't have worldly interest, aren't sophisticated, hide their ignorance behind the church, detox with artery clogging comfort food, releive boredom by buying clutter at the mall for future garage sales, save gas by living farther and farther away from things and sit and drive all day long getting fatter and dumber by the minute - this is why they end up shooting down public transit proposals and Detroit urban redevelopment initiatives and continue to maintain their racist attitudes and apathy towards everything around them.

What good training the auto industry has given Michigan citizens! - a feeling of powerlessness, no need to educate and self improve one's self, no need to think - its all standardized and done for you and if you just mind your own business you'll keep your job slapping bumpers on a Grand Am.

The rest of the world is not like Michigan - thank God. People, get out and TRAVEL! and going to the Old Country Buffet, the mall or a white trash family reunion in Tennessee is not travel!!

Last edited by FixTheMichiganToilet; 12-19-2006 at 12:16 PM..

Old 12-19-2006, 11:24 AM

16 posts, read 129,694 times
I lived in Roseville for 19 years, we just moved to Harrison Twp. in August. I loved Roseville. The nicest parts of Roseville are btwn 12 & 13 mile btwn little mack and I-94. Another area is btwn 13 mile and masonic (13 1/2 mile) btwn Gratiot and Kelly. that sub was once known as the richest part of Roseville and each house was custom built. As for townhouses in Roseville, the only ones there are are low income housing. Not recommended.
The schools in Roseville are ok. Not the best.

As for St. Clair Shores (where i grew up), i would stay above 12 mile. Its the nicest and safest part. Lakeshore school district is a very good district.

Roseville is not far from St. Clair Shores. No way is it a 20-30 min. drive!

As for Mt. Clemens (someone recommended) heck no! bad school district, crime is higher, and drugs.

If you have anymore questions - please feel free to ask.

Good luck
~ Wendi

Old 12-19-2006, 11:52 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
I agree with the few posters saying that Michigan is "bad" but what they fail to convey is that most big cities in Michigan are in general on the decline as far as city-living goes. Country living is great here! Too bad city folks can't/won't adapt so they cry and moan and say "MICHIGAN SUCKS" and find another cesspool of a city to live in!

Another thing is people's perception of Michigan as an automotive state which it is not. Michigan's true and fundemental economies are logging/forestry and farming/livestock!

St. Clair Shores is a city/area where they added land by way of landfills and are having problems with PCB's in their canals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit