Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,490 times

Advertisements

George, my father was a pin setter too at the bowling alley. You may have worked together. Chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 04:26 PM

14 posts, read 45,167 times
I wish that Detroit was still the very nice and large city that it was in the 1950's and 1960's. I don't want to get into any political commentary here but this was once the 4th largest city in the US and the epitome of the middle class dream. I have great faith in mayor Bing and hope that he can do what others couldn't/wouldn't.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 10,507 times
I grew up in Brightmoor, went to Harding School, then to Redford High, graduated in 1967, Lived on Lyndon, first house off Burt Rd . My house was taken down in the 90's, my parents house next door is still there.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,285 times
My grandparents owned the 5 dueces during the 1960's & 1970's. Nick & Helen Makris. Helen died in 1981.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,214 times
I also have roots in Redford. My earliest memories are of my grandmothers store on five mile near Beech Rd. Reed's Dry Goods. My grandparents lived on Keeler and we would often get fish & Chips from Highland's (operated by the Southerland family I believe) when we were visiting. Afterwards we would walk up to the Bodker Dairy for ice cream or a Boston Cooler. I went to Roosevelt School for kindergarten and remember stopping at Morrisons store with my mom or grandma to spend my nickel on candy. My brother and I would go with grandma to Rays Market to buy meat. Ray was the butcher and seemed to be a larger than life character to a 5 yr old! And he was always dressed in white, with a big white apron, often with big reddish-brown stains on it! We went to Lea's store on the north side of 5 mile for candy too! I think they must have had different kinds, but between Morrison's and Lea's and the Bodker Dairy, we never needed to cross the street! All of these places were on 5mile and closer to Beech Daly road than to Telegraph. We also went "swimming" down in Lola Valley park. It was a huge cement(round or cloverleaf shape??) pond, gradually reaching about 2 feet deep (if that) in the center, with a tall spray or sprinkler in the middle. It was a lot of fun and a great way to cool off in the summer! We never "groaned" when my mom said we were going to grandma's, it was always a good time!

Old 07-27-2010, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 10,507 times
Hi there S. Holt, my name is Rick Bint. I lived next door to you on Pierson, the Fannings were just three doors down for us too, I have a brother Ralph and sisters
Donna and Linda. We all went to Harding and Redford too, ( me class of 67 ) I last lived on Lyndon west of Burt Rd south side of the street. My parents and I owned the whole block. We moved form there to Florida in 1989 and never looked back.
I grew up in Brightmoore and have great memories, retired last year and have been in Florida 20 years now. Like to hear from you ( BigRicksPl@aol.com ) Rick

Old 08-12-2010, 08:21 PM

9 posts, read 20,742 times
Wink i remember checker drugs...

i lived off lahser and puritan and would ride my bike up there on saturday's and check out the magazine rack. maybe get something to eat or an ice creme. i was so sad when it closed. i have many fond memories there. it was a cool little store. that neighborhood is so destroyed now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc862000 View Post
Looks like the building is abandoned.

Click on this link

Abandoned Checkers Drug Store on Fenkel in Detroit on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitderek/1436808141/ - broken link)

Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 12,236 times
I grew up in Brightmoore on Fielding off Lyndon first house after the alley, we moved in 69 after the riots. Was there last year and it broke my heart to see the neighborhood.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,832 times
What about the S&A? VIo's? The blue Flame? Zeff's Grill? Mr. 9 Ball? The Salvation Army? Hall parties at St. Christines? House parties all over the place back in the 70's and 80's!!! Tuff stuff growing up there? Went to Murphy, and Redford .

Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 5,581 times
Hi I lived in Brightmoor from 1946 till 1963. I have some great fond memories of that area. I lived in the Smith Projects on Evergreen. At that time they were very clean and a great place for living. I lived my younger life there and do have a lot of memories. Could love to contac people that were from that area during that time. I know it is a war zone now. I went to Harding and then to Hubert then Redford. This is a great site, thanks for putting it together. Diana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit