Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:18 PM

17 posts, read 46,023 times

Advertisements

Hi, all

I'll be visiting Detroit for three days this summer for an academic conference. The conference will be held at Wayne State University, and I'll be staying at a hotel on Ferry Street. I won't have a car while I'm there.

Can anyone recommend any restaurants, sights, etc. in the area? (Keep in mind that I'm not a spring chicken and I'll be trekking on foot, so close proximity is good.)

I'll go ahead and add this before the naysayers appear -- I'm from Memphis and love it; being around people who don't look or talk like me does not bother me.

Thanks. And I'm looking forward to my second trip to Detroit! (My first was simply a pass-through nearly two decades ago on my way to Stratford ON.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,492,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reimaginethis View Post
Hi, all

I'll be visiting Detroit for three days this summer for an academic conference. The conference will be held at Wayne State University, and I'll be staying at a hotel on Ferry Street. I won't have a car while I'm there.

Can anyone recommend any restaurants, sights, etc. in the area? (Keep in mind that I'm not a spring chicken and I'll be trekking on foot, so close proximity is good.)

I'll go ahead and add this before the naysayers appear -- I'm from Memphis and love it; being around people who don't look or talk like me does not bother me.

Thanks. And I'm looking forward to my second trip to Detroit! (My first was simply a pass-through nearly two decades ago on my way to Stratford ON.)
I take it you are staying at the Inn On Ferry Street or a similar bed and breakfast. Those old houses are gorgeous, so hopefully you will enjoy your accommodations.

You will be in easy walking distance to many great places. Ferry Street is right next door to the Detroit Institute of Arts on Woodward, which is a top-notch fine arts museum. Right behind it is the Detroit Science Center and the Museum of African American History. Directly across the street from the DIA is the Detroit Public Library main branch, which is worth checking out, and the Detroit Historical Museum, which is covers our city's rich history.

When you're done exploring all that, head south on Woodward and in about 4 blocks you'll hit MOCAD (Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit). Across the street from MOCAD is the Whitney, a high class restaurant in an old mansion. Go up to the third floor and have a cocktail at "Ghost Bar." It's a great experience. Go another block south, and you'll run into CPOP, another edgy contemporary art gallery. Next to CPOP is Majestic Theater, where you can stop in and hear a local rock band play in the evening or you can knock over some pins in the psychedelic bowling alley and have a slice of pizza. Cross the street and grab a table at Union Street Saloon, a neighborhood bar and grille with great food. Give the Lake Michigan Whitefish a try.

Once you are done eating, walk north up Cass and stop into Avalon Bakery on West Willis and grab a warm chocolate brownie for desert. At this point, you'll probably want a beer, so continue north on Cass for about a block an drop into Motor City Brewing Works for a selection local micro-brews. I'd suggest ordering a growler of "Ghettoblaster." Or, if you are looking for a trendier scene, go about block north of MCBW and stop into Cass Cafe, which has a great menu and good drinks. Now, you're almost home. Keep heading north on Cass, stop and take picture in front of Old Main, take a right on Warren and head north on Woodward til you hit Ferry Street and step right into your cozy digs for the night.

That's just the few blocks around where you're staying in Midtown. If you want information about what to see downtown, in New Center (uptown), or other parts of the city, just ask.

Enjoy your visit to Detroit!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 PM

Oh, I almost forgot, while you are over by Cass and Canfield, stop into the Bureau of Urban Living and pick up a neat souvenir from your trip to Detroit. You won't be disappointed!

Old 05-16-2011, 04:11 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,275,349 times
Good Girls Go to Paris Crepes opens at 9 each morning and is worth stopping in for a quick bite. Over 50 types of crepes. On the Kirby/Woodward intersection (i.e. Park Shelton building).

Old 05-16-2011, 01:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
I take it you are staying at the Inn On Ferry Street or a similar bed and breakfast. Those old houses are gorgeous, so hopefully you will enjoy your accommodations.

You will be in easy walking distance to many great places. Ferry Street is right next door to the Detroit Institute of Arts on Woodward, which is a top-notch fine arts museum. Right behind it is the Detroit Science Center and the Museum of African American History. Directly across the street from the DIA is the Detroit Public Library main branch, which is worth checking out, and the Detroit Historical Museum, which is covers our city's rich history.

When you're done exploring all that, head south on Woodward and in about 4 blocks you'll hit MOCAD (Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit). Across the street from MOCAD is the Whitney, a high class restaurant in an old mansion. Go up to the third floor and have a cocktail at "Ghost Bar." It's a great experience. Go another block south, and you'll run into CPOP, another edgy contemporary art gallery. Next to CPOP is Majestic Theater, where you can stop in and hear a local rock band play in the evening or you can knock over some pins in the psychedelic bowling alley and have a slice of pizza. Cross the street and grab a table at Union Street Saloon, a neighborhood bar and grille with great food. Give the Lake Michigan Whitefish a try.

Once you are done eating, walk north up Cass and stop into Avalon Bakery on West Willis and grab a warm chocolate brownie for desert. At this point, you'll probably want a beer, so continue north on Cass for about a block an drop into Motor City Brewing Works for a selection local micro-brews. I'd suggest ordering a growler of "Ghettoblaster." Or, if you are looking for a trendier scene, go about block north of MCBW and stop into Cass Cafe, which has a great menu and good drinks. Now, you're almost home. Keep heading north on Cass, stop and take picture in front of Old Main, take a right on Warren and head north on Woodward til you hit Ferry Street and step right into your cozy digs for the night.

That's just the few blocks around where you're staying in Midtown. If you want information about what to see downtown, in New Center (uptown), or other parts of the city, just ask.

Enjoy your visit to Detroit!

This is great, except that you have him or her tiaking a picture in front of old main at 2:30 a.m. It will not show much.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:50 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,663 times
My wife & I stayed at Inn on Ferry Street a few weeks ago. We walked to Motor City Brewing Works, Bronx Bar (love that place), Majestic Cafe, etc.

Also, we took advantage of the free shuttle at Inn on Ferry Street, using it for rides downtown, to Corktown, Hammtramck, Buddy's Pizza, etc. Then just give the driver a call when you're ready to head back and he'll come pick you up. Only downside is the shuttle stops running at 11pm, but taxis in Detroit are dirt cheap. You'll have to call and order taxis as they're few and far between on the streets.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:16 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the tips.

I arrived today. Here's how it's gone so far...

I was surprised to learn that a cab ride from the airport to Ferry Street costs $45. Seemed a bit high. When the driver told me it would be $45 (when I got in the taxi at the airport), I said "wow, that's expensive!" The driver became very defensive and began raising his voice at me. Then he began insisting that I call his supervisor for confirmation of the price. I told him that I didn't doubt the price; I simply expressed a rather mild degree of surprise at the price. Not a big deal to me, but it was a very big deal to him.

Flash forward to my arrival at the inn. As we pull in front of the inn, I hand the driver my credit card. He again became very loud, exclaiming: "I can't take a credit card! Our machines are down! I have to have cash!" I told him I did not have cash; I also pointed out the Visa/Mastercard emblem on both side windows of the taxi. He yelled at me repeatedly, telling me that I should have asked before riding whether he could take a credit card. That was weird to me. If you have a sign on your cab saying you take cards, why should I ask about it? If there's a problem, shouldn't you inform your passengers of that? Why is it my responsibility?

So anyway, he uses a paper form to write down my credit card number, has me sign the slip, then tells me to get out of his cab. Then he speeds away. I realize that he has left with my credit card. After several phone calls to/from the cab company and to/from the driver himself (who repeatedly tells me he will be back in 30 minutes with my card)--and me finally resorting to threatening to call the police--the guy finally pulls back up two hours later with my card, again yelling at me and telling me that I am costing him money.

So I finally check into the inn. It's lovely. I walk one block down to a convenience store to buy a few things. The things I buy are marked as follows: $1.98, $0.99, $2.00, and $0.50. The guy (behind what appears to be bullet proof glass) tells me my total is $9.98. I went ahead and paid it because I wasn't going to argue over a couple of dollars. Anyway, when I get back to my room, I look at the receipt. I was charged as follows: $5.00, $0.99, $2.00, and $1.99. Apparently, they just make up the prices as they go along.

Just not off to a good start yet. But I have faith that things will get better.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Sorry to hear about that cab situation. It's reasons like that that Detroit needs to have dedicated, public transit from Metro Airport to the city. Nobody should have to shell out $45 for a ride to the middle of town. It's absolutely ridiculous. I don't know what to say about the convenience store... perhaps the clerk is just a moron?

Old 06-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Sorry to hear about that cab situation. It's reasons like that that Detroit needs to have dedicated, public transit from Metro Airport to the city. Nobody should have to shell out $45 for a ride to the middle of town. It's absolutely ridiculous. I don't know what to say about the convenience store... perhaps the clerk is just a moron?
Or a thief. Of course, I was stupid enough to pay, so that doesn't make me much better.

One of the things I love about Chicago is being able to get on the train at Midway and ride down to the loop. I've been in Chicago a couple of times this year and have become absolutely spoiled by that. It would be awesome if Detroit had such a thing. (It would also be awesome if the cities in my neck of the woods--Memphis and Nashville--had such things.)

So I've dealt with two doofuses thus far. But I've dealt with several other people who've had great attitudes and been willing to help since I've been here.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:26 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,938,473 times
IMO could be that certain businesses are hard up for low-wage employees and just hire anybody they can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit