Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:57 AM

28 posts, read 107,527 times

Advertisements

JS, seriously, you would rate Berkley High School ahead of Royal Oak High?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 AM

89 posts, read 259,494 times
Personally, I'd send my kids to Ferndale High School over Berkley or Royal Oak High Schools.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:54 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,997,992 times
It seems the closer you are to 8 mile in RO, the less desirable it is.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:04 PM

758 posts, read 1,965,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_muse View Post
Personally, I'd send my kids to Ferndale High School over Berkley or Royal Oak High Schools.
Ferndale schools are usually ranked MUCH lower than either Berkley or Royal Oak schools.

For one, there's massive white flight. If current trends continue, the schools will be almost entirely black within a few years. Not necessarily a bad thing, of course, but indicative of lack of desirability expect among poor folks recently relocated from Detroit.

For another, there were two students caught with guns brought into Ferndale High last year. There's even been talk of metal detectors. Highly, highly unlikely talk in either Royal Oak or Berkley.

And Ferndale schools usually test below-average for Michigan public school standards.

This is why so many folks who move to be Ferndale happen to be young, childless, often gay, etc. Stereotypical suburban families with children usually don't consider Ferndale because the schools are perceived to suck.

Another example- Pleasant Ridge has some huge, historic homes, yet they usually sell for considerably less than similar homes in adjacent parts of Huntington Woods and Royal Oak? Why? Pleasant Ridge sends their kids to Ferndale Schools.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:32 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,012,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
It seems the closer you are to 8 mile in RO, the less desirable it is.

LOL there's two mile roads between 8 Mile and and Royal Oak and two cities. In fact Pleasant Ridge which is closer to 8 Mile and borders Royal Oak to the south, is much nicer than Royal Oak.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,997,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
LOL there's two mile roads between 8 Mile and and Royal Oak and two cities. In fact Pleasant Ridge which is closer to 8 Mile and borders Royal Oak to the south, is much nicer than Royal Oak.
I said in Royal Oak, and Pleasant Ridge isn't in Royal Oak. This thread is about Royal Oak, not Pleasant Ridge.
North of 11 mile is a much nicer area than the Lincoln area. Doesn't RO go all the way up to 12 mile or so?

Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I said in Royal Oak, and Pleasant Ridge isn't in Royal Oak. This thread is about Royal Oak, not Pleasant Ridge.
North of 11 mile is a much nicer area than the Lincoln area. Doesn't RO go all the way up to 12 mile or so?

Royal Oak goes all the way up to 14 mile. It's southern border is 10 mile and not 8 Mile and Downtown which is the most desirable place of Royal Oak is the closest to 8 Mile.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Ferndale schools are usually ranked MUCH lower than either Berkley or Royal Oak schools.

For one, there's massive white flight. If current trends continue, the schools will be almost entirely black within a few years. Not necessarily a bad thing, of course, but indicative of lack of desirability expect among poor folks recently relocated from Detroit.

For another, there were two students caught with guns brought into Ferndale High last year. There's even been talk of metal detectors. Highly, highly unlikely talk in either Royal Oak or Berkley.

And Ferndale schools usually test below-average for Michigan public school standards.

This is why so many folks who move to be Ferndale happen to be young, childless, often gay, etc. Stereotypical suburban families with children usually don't consider Ferndale because the schools are perceived to suck.

Another example- Pleasant Ridge has some huge, historic homes, yet they usually sell for considerably less than similar homes in adjacent parts of Huntington Woods and Royal Oak? Why? Pleasant Ridge sends their kids to Ferndale Schools.
Berkley schools are why I chose Huntington Woods over Pleasant Ridge.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,242 times
wow, people here actually think parts of Royal Oak are ghetto? I hung out on the streets between 10 and 11 Mile all the time during the summer and never got in any trouble or felt unsafe. Royal Oak is not at all like Detroit, in fact it is the definition of suburbia. Of course some kids in RO use hard drugs, but so do kids in rich neighborhoods like Birmingham, you just don't hear about it unless one of them ODs. that doesn't mean it's a bad neighborhood. now, Ferndale does have some ghetto areas closer to 8 Mile but it has a nicer downtown than Royal Oak IMO. can't speak for the schools but I believe the housing is cheaper as well.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,478 times
Default Looking to move to Royal Oak/Berkley/Clawson/Troy area

I am looking to move to this area. I am really alarmed by what I am hearing about drugs in Royal Oak. I hung out downtown RO for the first time on Thursday night. I have to admit, I was a little shocked at how scummy the scene was. I was under the impression that RO was for young professionals and young families. But that is not at all what I saw. Instead, the streets were filled with girls in very revealing, tight, unflattering, and quite frankly tasteless clothing. Guys were very rude, crass, obnoxious, loud, and aggressive about hitting on me and my girlfriend (which I am not flattered by in the least).

Needless to say, I am having second thoughts about RO. I have noticed that homes in Berkley, MI are very reasonably priced. Because I am a single woman, I am looking for a small starter home.

Can somebody tell me why Berkley is cheaper? Are there known drug or crime issues in Berkley? Can somebody explain the character of the neighborhood? I know I am asking for generalizations, but I would appreciate the feedback. Also, is there a good and bad side of Berkley?

What about Clawson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit