Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 04:00 PM

11 posts, read 34,238 times

Advertisements

Dear City-Data friends -

My wife and I grew up and lived in Illinois and Wisconsin for 27 years, subsequently moved to warm Southern California (Orange County) for 15 years, now are facing a career move decision between the two "Birminghams". I have two 5 and 9 year old daughters that are smart, cute and jock-like, and very outgoing. We're Catholic, but more moderates and not fanatical. I'm a fan of many sports, mainly football, basketball and tennis, with a bias to BigTen college teams (though California has softened us on sports team allegiances), but could easily become an SEC sports fan if living in the area. We also have above average intellectual and cultural inclinations (yet not quite at geek level, yet we're super outgoing as wel). We view the housing prices and different weather as EVEN trade offs - blasting hot summers versus cold winters (we like to ski).

Both job opportunities are in very nice suburbs of each MSA (Farmington Hills / Birmingham, MI & Eastern Birmingham, AL) and I could live 10 minutes from work in a beautiful home. They are similar professional opportunities, with the Alabama company in more of a niche, growing business. Thus, allow me to summarize the key differentiating points from my perspective as follow

Key Michigan Characteristics: 2.5 - 4 hour drive from many relatives, lots of lakes & forests for outdoorsy activities, decent company opportunity in a low growth industry, I know an executive manager at company very well, job/housing is 14 miles north of the unfortunate situation in downtown Detroit, perhaps more "economic gloom" in the greater Detroit area right now (but will that improve over 5 years?)

Key Alabama Characteristics - no family nearby, strong company in strong "industry of the future" healthcare space, nice southern people probably easy to meet people, lesser economic gloom than Detroit, more Southern economic vibrancy?

PLEASE SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK OR OPINIONS - THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 PM

364 posts, read 877,677 times
Birmingham, MI is probably one of the nicest suburbs of any city in the entire country. It is scenic, walkable, upscale, trendy, etc. The main handicap for moving to MI would be if you did not have a job, but obviously that would not be the case for you. Perhaps weather would be a factor for you? Birmingham, MI has 4 distinct seasons including relatively long, cold winters, while Birmingham, AL does not. Fall in Michigan is awesome. Winter snow is beautiful. Spring sees everything come to life. Summer is warm, but nowhere near that of AL.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:08 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
As for the job, I always say go with your instinct because your gut tends to honest with you - even if you don't want to listen.

Personally, if I were a Catholic (and my faith was important to me), then I would move to the Detroit area. There are so many options here that (it seems to me) would be lacking in Alabama. I've never been to the other "B", but what I hear is that it's a nice, small Southern town. My husband told me when he traveled there that it was nice, but there wasn't many choices when it came to eating out (he was on a business trip).

Pazcki day (Fat Tuesday) is huge (and pretty much a "holiday" everyone looks forward to) because of the Polish Catholics who brought us this fruit(or custard)-filled (heart-attack inducing) doughnut. Yum!

And, in general, Detroiters love good food and we are a huge sports town! And, usually, you can find anything you are looking for here. Arts, Sports, private/public schools/universities.....

I think the people here tend to be suspicious of newcomers and the area does take a lot of getting used to (I'm a transplant from another area of the state). However, there are a lot of wonderful people here.

Our economy has really taken everyone on a roller coaster ride for the past decade, so as a people, you are right when you suggest that there is "economic gloom" hovering over everything. However, there are bright spots, if you seek them out.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:31 PM

262 posts, read 781,607 times
Your job prospects will decide which city for you. From the outset taxation is similar with Michigan state taxes lower , property taxes higher, sales taxes lower. Roads much worse. Gasoline more expensive, natural gas cheaper -but you will need more of it. Rarely mentioned in this forum is the cloudiness in Michigan, I prefer the sunniness of Bama over Mich.

Most people rationalize where they live as Gods country and the best place for them.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:37 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
I would greatly prefer Birmingham, MI over the other one.

Privacy, both social and cultural, is vastly greater in MI than it is in the south. Religious culture -- specifically that of white Christians -- and its social effects is far less noticeable in Michigan than it would be in Alabama. Especially Birmingham, which has a very high percent of Jewish people. The environment of Birmingham, MI is composed of upper-class, highly educated business and tech professionals of all walks of life. It's very diverse ethnically. A very good friend of mine is a middle-aged gay doctor who lives openly and is involved in politics there. Those types of issues simply are not problems in the north. The Birmingham of Alabama would be a very different story, and you may find yourself outside many social circles.

As for everything else, you have typical culturally distant northerners vs. Deep south Bible-belt southerners. Whether you like it or not, these two things will affect you. If you're like me and enjoy being able to buy vodka at 3 a.m. from a gas station, Michigan may very well be for you

Seriously. Vodka in gas stations. High-end stuff, too. Blew my mind when I saw it.

However, homes in Birmingham, MI will be vastly more expensive than they would be in Alabama. Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills generally rank in the wealthiest counties (Oakland, I think?) in the nation.

The weather argument will be brought up, but I can't see either city winning that particular contest. Michigan is ugly, cloudy and cold; Alabama is insufferably hot, swampy and ugly.

I can't really recall anything much more about Birmingham, AL. But in MI, Birmingham is a gorgeous little town directly connected to all the trendy areas. Royal Oak and Ferndale are very close by, and the school districts generally do very well. If I had to choose between the two, I would go with Michigan. It's a culture I'm more familiar with, and one very clearly separated from the more religiously-organized South. You can be whoever, whatever, whenever... if you can pay the property taxes

Old 09-27-2010, 12:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times
Not quite comparing apples to apples. Bham is a med sized city with approx 1million in the metro..I know Detroit has much more than that. Detroit has more of a sports influence with prof sports, etc, .
Birmingham does not although college football is like a religions.. Birminham is a nice friendly city with a decent economy and low cost of living. Unless you really want to stay in Detroit I would consider moving to Bham..Just FYI, Alabama is a lot more conservative.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,065 times
I lived in B'ham MI for 15 years, and almost relocated to B'ham AL to get a job with Vulcan last year. Ended up in Charlotte, NC instead.

The cost of living is is WAY less in AL, but I would say the quality of life is WAY better in MI. The demographics are much different too, B AL is has a high proportion of blacks, B MI does not. The thing I didn't like about MI was you had to go so far to get to the ocean or the mountains. At least in AL you are much closer to them. Your vacation opportunities are greater. Although MI is a great vacation destination for fresh water lakes.

I wasn't too impressed with B AL, that was why I chose Charlotte instead. if you got to B AL, spend more than a day or two there. You mind will be made up pretty quickly.

However, the Southern people are hard to beat for their politeness. People in Charlotte don't honk at you if you don't go right away when the light turns green. But I heard from other parts of the country how nice people from MI are too.

Also, if you are a conservative Christian, you will love the south. Teachers aren't afraid to say the word Christmas down there. I find it very refreshing.

Last edited by rdub1968; 09-27-2010 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: add text

Old 09-28-2010, 08:58 AM
am2

413 posts, read 856,437 times
Birmingham AL, is the Detroit of the south.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
Birmingham, Alabama versus Birmingham, Michigan is comparing apples to oranges. Birmingham, Michigan is an affluent suburb. Birmingham, Alabama, is a central city, a place where I once saw a house fire and nobody bothering to put it out. There are nice, upscale, suburban areas of Birmingham, Alabama...can't remember place names, but I've been there. Birmingham, Alabama, and its county are completely screwed financially, possibly worse than Detroit.

"People in Charlotte don't honk at you if you don't go right away when the light turns green. But I heard from other parts of the country how nice people from MI are too."

Not in my part of the metro. If you so much as think of not going when the light changes, they'll honk. SE MI folks aren't always welcoming and inviting, either.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:45 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
I think a person living in Birmingham, AL would be happier to move to Birmingham, MI than the other way around (unless they really like hot, humid weather).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit