Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:15 AM

21,121 posts, read 19,707,707 times

Advertisements

I agree that Detroit needs to be more business friendly, but zoning does have its benefits. You wouldn't want your neighbor to set up a stamping plant in their garage. People can apply for a change in their zoning, but the neighbors have an opportunity to voice their opposition before a waiver/variance is granted. (At least that is how it is done in my city.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 01:28 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,321 times
This stuff is so remedial.

Bing should adopt a page from this playbook as well.

More Aboriginal towns ask for liquor ban

""What the communities raise with me is issues of people coming into the community and drinking far too much alcohol, causing domestic violence, assaults and disruptions in the community," Mr Waldron told AAP.

"They want to have a safe community for their families and their kids and they see these liquor bans as providing that window of opportunity to get their communities back on a good path." Mr Waldron said liquor restrictions were not automatically granted, with communities having to show they were committed to the bans along with support from police and local government.

The Aboriginal communities operating under liquor restrictions were experiencing enormous benefits, he said. "Family life is improving, with children attending school on a regular basis," Mr Waldron said."

More Aboriginal towns ask for liquor ban - Yahoo!7 (http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/8083839/more-aboriginal-towns-ask-for-liquor-ban/ - broken link)

Last edited by fmax; 10-06-2010 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 AM

Here is another great idea - from a fellow Blue Land:

[SIZE=2]NY seeks to ban sugary drinks from food stamp buys[/SIZE][SIZE=1]

[/SIZE][SIZE=2]New Yorkers on food stamps would not be allowed to spend them on sugar-sweetened drinks under an obesity-fighting proposal being floated by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Gov. David Paterson.

Bloomberg and Paterson planned to announce Thursday that they are seeking permission from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which administers the nation's food stamp program, to add sugary drinks to the list of prohibited goods for city residents receiving assistance.

If approved, it would be the first time an item would be banned from the federal program based solely on nutritional value.
[/SIZE]

My Way News - NY seeks to ban sugary drinks from food stamp buys

Old 10-20-2010, 09:38 AM

" parents who don't care"

" it's the parents."

Worthy proposes jail for parents who skip kids' school conferences

Detroit — Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy is pushing for a law that calls for jail time for parents who skip parent-teacher conferences, a plan some call inspired and others consider the nanny state run amok.

Worthy proposes jail for parents who skip kids' school conferences | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20101020/METRO/10200350/Worthy-proposes-jail-for-parents-who-skip-kids%E2%80%99-school-conferences - broken link)

Old 10-20-2010, 02:31 PM

This will help out a lot:

Man wounded by carjacker fatally shoots attacker

Detroit police say a man shot a carjacker to death after the would-be thief shot him in the face.

Man wounded by carjacker fatally shoots attacker - chicagotribune.com

Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 AM

53 posts, read 197,469 times
I'm pretty new to the area, having just moved in from Boston a few months ago, but I'm thinking how about the development of a shopping district in Detroit? Detroit is one of the few major cities that has the advantage of being a border city with Canada and can certainly take advantage of the exchange rate fluctuations between currencies. Most Canadians who cross the border now also seem to come for the purpose of shopping but tend to drive further out into the suburbs to purchase most of their items. If there was a designated shopping district in Detroit, all that tourist money would be going directly to the city itself and encourage additional growth there.

I also agree with ForStarters on practically every point, especially with regards to mass transit. After having been spoiled in almost every city I've lived (or been to) by the existence of an efficient mass transit system, I'm completely disoriented coming to this area. I'm not sure I can be here in the long term tied to a car for every menial task I need to complete in a day. I also love city living and believe that mass transit makes a city more desirable to be in, encourages businesses, and at the same time, creates density. Unfortunately, there was really no option for me to do that here in this region, so I am not surprisingly holed up in a suburb, attached to a car and hating the inconveniences of getting stuck in traffic and driving on horrible roads. I'm curious to know if anyone is familiar with organizations involved in the M1 endeavor? Maybe thinking of getting involved...

Last edited by Kanz; 10-29-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmax View Post
Here is another great idea - from a fellow Blue Land:

[SIZE=2]NY seeks to ban sugary drinks from food stamp buys[/SIZE][SIZE=1]

[/SIZE][SIZE=2]New Yorkers on food stamps would not be allowed to spend them on sugar-sweetened drinks under an obesity-fighting proposal being floated by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Gov. David Paterson.

Bloomberg and Paterson planned to announce Thursday that they are seeking permission from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which administers the nation's food stamp program, to add sugary drinks to the list of prohibited goods for city residents receiving assistance.

If approved, it would be the first time an item would be banned from the federal program based solely on nutritional value.
[/SIZE]

My Way News - NY seeks to ban sugary drinks from food stamp buys
They can start by stopping the food stamp purchase of energy drinks. I see someone at least once a week buying a Red Bull or a Monster, often at inflated gas station prices. There is no excuse whatsoever for Red Bull purchases to be subsidized by the taxpayer.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:31 AM

183 posts, read 467,576 times
Your answer is in your original post. End segregation and work together then we will survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit