Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 02:54 PM

170 posts, read 496,123 times

Advertisements

That's very helpful edub.
Thank you fmax!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 03:20 PM

183 posts, read 467,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
Why is everything a matter of racism?

Warren is a large city. S. Warren is practically Detroit - ghetto as hell with houses going for less than $10K. N. Warren still has some nice areas. People in N. Warren do feel strongly about keeping their neighborhoods safe and desirable as do folks in most E side neighborhoods.

I guess ignorant people who can not muster a logical thought might construe that as bigotry or racism. To me it's just an issue of logic.
What a dumb question. A dozen people received hate letters in a city right next to Warren and you asked this silly question! As long as racism exist this question will always be important.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
South Warren was never a nice place, not even when it was new. It was built basically as factory housing. Education was never a priority as long as the boys could grow up and take over their fathers' jobs and buy an aluminum sided bungalow of their own. Look at some of the shacks between Eight and Nine Mile, most of the whole length of the city. There are nice houses in south Warren (even some nicer subdivisions from the 50s and 60s) but for every clean brick ranch there is an asbestos or aluminum sided house, often not much bigger than a three car garage. Along Eight Mile, much of the housing stock on the Detroit side is more substantial, especially between Sherwood and the Bel Air Center.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:01 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,227 times
The bottom line, if the plan is to stay for longer than 10 years, avoid the tri-county area all together.

The entire region is ripe for the Tax Base Collapse still to come.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:18 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Along Eight Mile, much of the housing stock on the Detroit side is more substantial, especially between Sherwood and the Bel Air Center.
That's true. Driving along 8 Mile, I've noticed that, surprisingly, the Detroit side looks better than the Warren side in that area.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 AM

449 posts, read 934,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneyes29 View Post
What a dumb question. A dozen people received hate letters in a city right next to Warren and you asked this silly question! As long as racism exist this question will always be important.
Is this thread about threatening letters? So, because a few people received these letters, every topic on this board ought to be about race? How does that make sense?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:40 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,268 times
South Warren (8-10) is a hillbilly ghetto. Central Warren (10-12) is mostly a good area but has problems with burglaries much more than it should. North Warren (12+) is much better than alot of people give it credit for though.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM

183 posts, read 467,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
Is this thread about threatening letters? So, because a few people received these letters, every topic on this board ought to be about race? How does that make sense?
Obviously you didn't read the OP post so let me copy and paste it for you...
A friend and I were talking about race realtions here in the MetroDetroit area. He mentioned areas that he would NEVER live in. One was Warren. I was a bit surprised. I mentioned that I've spent time shopping/socializing in Warren and have never had a problem. I also said,truthfully,that I would live in Warren if I found the right house without hesistation. My friend laughed and said that would be a HUGE mistake.
I understand Warren has had it's share of racial tension through the years but I thought things had gotten better.
My question:Is Warren still a highly segregated biogoted city? Are non caucasian people harrassed(or worse)if they choose to live in Warren?

And if you are tired of reading about "race" then don't post in the thread, comprende?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,198 times
I live in Warren off of 8 mile and Van Dyke, and so often I get negative responses about where I live. Formerly living in Rochester Hills, my friends think the area in which I reside is 'ghetto,' and some people do not even want to leave their cars in my driveway due to fear of a break-in. I think this is a gross exaggeration, Warren is not a bad area nor is 8/Van Dyke scary to be around. I've lived in Warren for 4 years and have had no problems.

When people do not know about something, they think the worst of it. Don't let what society/group mentality thinks to guide your decision making, think for yourself and experience it yourself also.

In regards to race, I think statistically Warren is predominantly white, however personally I have always lived next to black people. Since people in Warren are lower-income, they tend to not have as much education, and this correlates to intolerance. So there might be some 'Rednecks' around here that do not like black people, but who cares about these people who are closed minded and ignorant? There are way better people out there with open world views who are much more interesting than racist people.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,198 times
I live in Warren off of 8 mile and Van Dyke, and so often I get negative responses about where I live. Formerly living in Rochester Hills, my friends think there area in which I reside is 'ghetto,' and some people do not even want to leave their cars in my driveway due to fear of a break-in. I think this is a gross exaggeration, Warren is not a bad area nor is 8/Van Dyke scary to be around. I've lived in Warren for 4 years and have had no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit