Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 PM

36 posts, read 80,143 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to the DSM area after 15 years. Here are a few questions...

-Does anyone have any recommendations regarding neighborhoods north of university and in the Grandview University area?

-What about the Norwalk area? Are there decent prospects for apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 07:42 PM

586 posts, read 2,190,767 times
Welcome back to DSM and good luck finding a location that suits you.

Norwalk has one decent apartment complex called High Pointe apartments located in a new development underway. Norwalk is convenient to both downtown and the western suburbs, which is its biggest attribute.

You'll have to be more specific about "north of University Avenue" because this street stretches across the entire metro area.

The Grandview area is one of the few places on the east side of Des Moines that seems decently livable. You'll find decent brick homes that you would see in the more popular Beaverdale Neighborhood, only priced much, much cheaper. The east side of Des Moines doesn't have much for retail and restaurants and the neighborhoods can be very hit or miss, but the Grandview area is kind of a diamond in the rough.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the post. Can you pick up the DART in Norwalk?

Grandview seems nice. Are there any nice places on the north side, but south of I35?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
Welcome back to DSM and good luck finding a location that suits you.

Norwalk has one decent apartment complex called High Pointe apartments located in a new development underway. Norwalk is convenient to both downtown and the western suburbs, which is its biggest attribute.

You'll have to be more specific about "north of University Avenue" because this street stretches across the entire metro area.

The Grandview area is one of the few places on the east side of Des Moines that seems decently livable. You'll find decent brick homes that you would see in the more popular Beaverdale Neighborhood, only priced much, much cheaper. The east side of Des Moines doesn't have much for retail and restaurants and the neighborhoods can be very hit or miss, but the Grandview area is kind of a diamond in the rough.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:10 PM

337 posts, read 1,531,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownr View Post
Thanks for the post. Can you pick up the DART in Norwalk?

Grandview seems nice. Are there any nice places on the north side, but south of I35?
Looks like DART stops it's route at Ft. Des Moines area. Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority • Area Route Map

Although not fitting your criteria, check out Ankeny on the north side, beautiful community ... it's on the DART route too.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:56 PM

Thanks for feedback. The Norwalk/Ft. Des Moines looks promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
Looks like DART stops it's route at Ft. Des Moines area. Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority • Area Route Map

Although not fitting your criteria, check out Ankeny on the north side, beautiful community ... it's on the DART route too.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:03 PM

41 posts, read 164,637 times
I'd also look at Sherman Hill (just south of I-235 and west of downtown) and Drake area (which is along University Avenue). Bus service in these areas is pretty good.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,600,267 times
Also check out the Ingersol area. It's a nice area with shops/bars, etc within walking distance. I always liked that area.

Even though the Grandview area can be nice, it's surrounded by east side shadyness. I'd avoid it. I grew up on the east side, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone really. There are some nice parts, but unless you are pretty familiar with the area, I wouldn't live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines