Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 03:04 PM

11 posts, read 13,905 times

Advertisements

I moved here in October of 2014 so I don't exactly know the ins and outs and I'm having a hard time adjusting. I have a 14 month old son and I'm out of ideas - we've been to all the parks I could find, I'm not fond of the mall play areas, we've been to the zoo, monkey joe's, farmers market, walking around downtown, etc...

We can't do library story time - that's all during the week and I work M-F. I've thought of the science center but my son is just too small for that I think.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 03:44 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,645,088 times
Go to the Living History Farms in Urbandale! Your child will enjoy running through the fields and seeing cows and pigs and horses and riding the trolley.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:10 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,646,833 times
[mod snip] Quoted deleted post

OP, the skywalks are a nice place to walk in January when it's snowy.

For now, also check out Gray's Lake, a little south of downtown. There are some nice walking paths.

Last edited by ElleTea; 08-24-2016 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-26-2016, 07:45 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,364,093 times
Go to catchdesmoines.com regularly and to see what is happening. I used the events calendar a lot when I'm looking for something to do a specific day. Also, I tend to read the Des Moines Register regularly and that is how you find out about a lot of events.

When my daughter was that age, she loved to go the the downtown Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. My daughter was so-so on this, but I know friend's kids that love ride in a kid trailer (e.g..Burley) on the bike trails.

Bottom-line: we always found that we'd run out of time and/or money before we run out of kid friendly things to do around Des Moines. Sounds like you just need to get tapped into some more resources.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:34 PM

53 posts, read 95,311 times
Some of these adventures might be for slightly older kids too- but just thought I would include it. I have also included the price for a family of four

Blank park zoo $50
Adventure land $278 for a 2 day pass
Science center $75
Playground for kids: Polk $18
Living history farm urbandale: $50
Botanical garden dsm: $28
Cascade falls ankeny: $24
Sky zone grimes:$28
Pump it up urbandale: $14

Old 09-21-2016, 10:18 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,341,467 times
There are also season passes for the zoo, science center, and Living History Farms that can be purchased individually or as a 3-fer

Tri-Membership to Blank Park Zoo, Science Center of Iowa and Living History Farms

I always had a Zoo pass when I lived there. I don't have kids but it was a nice way to spend an day a few times a year, and it got a guest in free as well. I think if I went 4 times the pass was paid for. It also worked for Zoo Brew (21+ summer evening events with live bands and beverages) and other kids activities after hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines