Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times

Advertisements

For my 2000th post, I hope you'll help me celebrate my first year in Des Moines. Yes, on this date last year, I signed the papers for my house and officially became a resident.

Overall, it's been a really good year. My bank account is happy, and two more of my friends are moving out this way: one to IC and the other to Twin Cities. At this rate, there won't be anyone left in Ohio that I care about visiting, which is fine. I'm really not homesick . . .

. . . except for shoo-fly pie. Maybe I'll find some in Iowa's Amish Country.

Iowa has the best beef, pork, and chicken, however. And the farmer's market downtown on Saturdays is truly awesome. And I've had a great time getting to know the city, plus there are more places on my list than I have time to visit right now.

I hope that this winter will be a little warmer. I was told we had a Zone 4 winter and D-M is Zone 5.

I'm still looking for 80 gram Thinsulate gloves, just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 08:28 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
For my 2000th post, I hope you'll help me celebrate my first year in Des Moines. Yes, on this date last year, I signed the papers for my house and officially became a resident.

Overall, it's been a really good year. My bank account is happy, and two more of my friends are moving out this way: one to IC and the other to Twin Cities. At this rate, there won't be anyone left in Ohio that I care about visiting, which is fine. I'm really not homesick . . .

. . . except for shoo-fly pie. Maybe I'll find some in Iowa's Amish Country.

Iowa has the best beef, pork, and chicken, however. And the farmer's market downtown on Saturdays is truly awesome. And I've had a great time getting to know the city, plus there are more places on my list than I have time to visit right now.

I hope that this winter will be a little warmer. I was told we had a Zone 4 winter and D-M is Zone 5.

Congrats.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:56 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

I recommend LL Bean gear also, The USDA plant hardiness zones are a funny thing as the areas by the South are zone 6 (near Kansas City and St. Louis). However, one very cold winter season can readjust the hardiness zones back further south because they base it on the absolute coldest temperature that can occur. Winter 03-04 in Wisconsin was actually colder than many areas of southern Canada. Northern Wisconsin had lows of -35F even in March, so they must be back closer to a Zone 3 winter. If you pull out a map, one of the observation stations I check, Rhinelander, had an average temperature of 4F for the entire season. That was the coldest since records have been kept there, but not reversing the overall trend toward milder winters overall.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:24 AM

I took the hint and bought Zone 4 berry bushes.

Gloves are coming in, but they are the fleecy type right now. Too early for ski gloves, I suspect. I'll watch for LL Bean.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:17 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
Congrats on your 1-year anniversary and best wishes for year #2! I always look forward to your contributions on the Iowa forum.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:47 PM

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2014, 12:08 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I love the positive tone in the DM area forum. I may be interviewing for a job there. It would be a promotion so I really hope I get the offer. Not much water there, eh? We love being near water. Another possible job is in MD about 20mi outside of DC. Close to water and grand kids but that's it.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:42 AM

That's true, it's not like being in the Great Lakes area where there are opportunities for island hopping, but at the same time, there are a lot of small lakes and rivers around, so there's certainly lots of fishing and boating on a smaller scale.

I haven't had a lot of time to explore Saylorville Lake, but it looks pretty cool. Here's a link to the marina. Depending on where you are in the metro, it's a 20 minute drive or so. There's a photo gallery at that site.

Saylorville Lake Marina

And then there is Gray's Lake in the city:

https://www.dmgov.org/Departments/Pa...ActEvents.aspx

I frequently grab dinner from China Express at HyVee (a grocery store) and have a picnic there.

There's also bike trails along the river, and I'm told there is a canoe livery around, but I haven't had time to look into that.

So, it's not like being in the middle of the desert. One plus: there is a lot more sun here in the winter because there's not enough water for lake effect to have an influence on the weather.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Great stuff! After hearing a tornado analogy I wondered if storm cellars are common? It would be a great excuse to build a root cellar.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Great stuff! After hearing a tornado analogy I wondered if storm cellars are common? It would be a great excuse to build a root cellar.
Basements are extremely common in homes in Central Iowa, plus there are a few "root cellars" (aka bomb shelters) here and there, leftover from the 1950s.

Home gardens are also quite common. Overall, the soil is very good here. I read about cities or HOAs in other places trying to ban gardens. If they tried to do that here, there would be a riot over that issue. People love their heritage tomatoes and other veggies.

I lost my potatoes, but that was my fault for not having enough sand in the raised bed. My tomatoes, pea, beans, herbs, and berries have been the best ever.

Oh, and the farmer's market downtown over the summer is just wonderful! I can't say enough good things about the local produce and meats. Seafood is a joke ("jet fresh" catch) but the beef, pork (BACON!), and chicken is to die for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: