Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:22 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the vibe is like at Grandviw? I know that it's in Des Moine and that it's affiliated with the Lutheran Church. It offers a certification in art therapy.

Are most of the students there very conservative and religious?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,445,264 times
Grand View, first of all - two words. Grand View is a very fast-growing urban university. It's near a poorer section of Des Moines, but that's not really an issue at all for students. There are a lot of great things happening at Grand View right now. They just recently completed a really nice new academic building, they opened a new dormitory this year, and there are plans to remodel the student center in the next couple years. The biggest majors are nursing, education, and business, and they have a very good graphic arts program (and the rest of the art department is quite good from what I've seen).
It's quite liberal, but much more blue-collar than a place like Drake (on the other side of Des Moines). It handles its ELCA affiliation perfectly. I encourage you to get in touch with the religion department if that worries you at all.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:47 PM

Thank you Stella! your response was prompt and informative. I am not the applicant, I'm the mother, and I apologize for writing "Grand View" as one word.

Grand View University, just appeared on the radar for my son, when we were looking at ELCA affiliated colleges and universities that offer art and art therapy. My son is also interested in an urban campus, and in generally getting away from Pennsylvania. He is friendly and adventurous, and while many of his friends are staying in state,or commuting, he wants to try something new. We are very supportive of this idea. We both went away to college and the experience was enriching for us,

I am not worried at all about the ELCA affiliation. We are active and involved members of a Lutheran (ELCA) church. However, when looking at the ELCA colleges, I see a vast difference between the way faith is expressed and practiced. Some are rather "heavy" when it comes to their affiliation, where as others we have looked at seem to be Lutheran in name, but with a very secular environment. In this scheme, I was trying to see where Grand View fit, and if it is a good fit for our son.

Actually, it sounds as though it is! He is left of center politically, and not at all elitist. He buys most of his clothes at thrift shops and we live in about as blue collar a city as one can imagine. (Wilkes-Barre PA) We actually left the suburbs several years ago because we became upset by the materialism and economic polarization we found there.

You seem to know quite a bit about GVU. Do you teach there?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:50 PM

Ooops! I can't find my reading glasses and somehow, I read your name as "Stella" not "steel103"
I'm very sorry.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,445,264 times
No problem! I don't work there, but I do have some family ties.
GVU attracts many local students looking for an affordable private alternative to community or public college, so there are all sorts of religious backgrounds represented. Grand View is Lutheran (there are two different Lutheran churches on campus!) and works to keep that a vital part of its spirit, but it is also very welcoming and understanding. Your son would be required to take religion courses to graduate. GVU is much more openly Lutheran than places like Muhlenberg.
It sounds like Grand View would be a good fit for your son, or at least that it's worth visiting.
I'm not sure they offer specific programs in art therapy, but some other urban ELCA schools that I'm sure could fulfill the same needs would be...
-Augsburg in Minneapolis, MN
-Augustana in Sioux Falls, SD
-Augustana in Rock Island, IL
-Pacific Lutheran in Tacoma, WA
-California Lutheran in Thousand Oaks, CA
And I'll give a shameless plug for my own school, Luther College in Decorah, IA. I thought I'd never go here because it's in a small town more than an hour away from the nearest city, but I visited it and absolutely loved it - which seems to be a story I hear a lot from admissions.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:17 PM

All good suggestions! He is looking into Luther! A few of these do not have a Studio Art major. Can't remember which off hand.

As a family, we have all had very good experiences with people from the mid-west, and in particular; Iowa. I had several memorable professors in college who were graduates of either Drake or University of Iowa.

Agree completely about Muhlenberg - it's ELCA related, but only 20% of the students self identify as Protestant. That is true to a greater or lesser extent of many of the PA Lutheran affiliated colleges, to a greater or lesser extent.

My son had a slow start in high school, so his current average, including the first two years: is less than stellar. His last two years have been solid, but not enough to bring his G.P.A up to a place where he would be accepted to a place that is very competitive.
Closer to PA, he would not make it into Wittenburg or Capitol in neighboring OH.

There are a few southern Lutheran colleges, and while they are closer geographically, we get the feeling that they might be way too "southern".

GVU has fine art, as well as graphic design, and offers a certification in art therapy.

In general, I think that there are so many excellent and interesting colleges in the mid-west, that people from "The Coasts" tend to ignore.

Again, thanks for your help! You have added to my general perception that people from your state are exceptionally nice, helpful and smart!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,766 times
Des Moines in general isn't very conservative. People don't typically rub their politics down others nose. A live and let live place really. As for Grand View, it's a smaller school so their will be more one on one with the instructor. Contrast that with say the University of Iowa where they hold their classes in an auditorium with 300 people.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 PM

Glad to know that Luke! My son has left of center political view points, but he is tolerant and open minded. Not all liberals are that way, but as a family, we are.

He wants to attend a college out of state, in another region of the country.

We are glad that he is open to new experiences, and interested in a life altering experience.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Grand View has come a long way. As someone mentioned, new facilities and such. I would call that the "poor" side of town though. Its reallt an average low to middle class Iowa neighborhood. Its also easily accessible to the rest of the city with bus routes and an easy commute downtown or out west via the freeway

Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,351,502 times
Here's a forum that contains a thread about Grandview's recent additions/upgrades to their campus (include pics):

absolutedsm.com • View topic - DSM: Grand View University Expansion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines