Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,131,588 times

Advertisements

I didn't say that earthquakes didn't happen here, I said they aren't an issue and are rarely even felt. Although I worked in a high-rise in downtown Denver in '82 and felt a 2.8 quake. Colorado

Just remember that Yellowstone is experiencing a very high volume of quakes. When that blows well...

"In one two day period in January 2010 there were more than 250 earthquakes in the park and the quakes have been gaining strength. Prof. Robert B. Smith, a geophysicist at the University of Utah and one of the leading experts on earthquake and volcanic activity at Yellowstone, said that the activity is a "notable swarm." In late December 2008 and early January 2009, Yellowstone National park experienced the second largest earthquake swarm in Yellowstone's recorded seismic history. The swarm under the north end of Yellowstone Lake consisted of 813 earthquakes with magnitudes ranging up to 3.9."
"Mike Stickney, director of earthquake studies at the Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology, said there is no way to predict when the next big one will hit. The Yellowstone Plateau is one of the largest super-volcanoes in the world and has gone through three volcanic cycles spanning two million years, which included some of the world's largest known eruptions."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 05:23 PM

18,255 posts, read 25,924,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobwv View Post
Never heard of Denver earthquakes but when I was a student at DU back in the late 80's I do remember when a tornado touched down on the corner of Broadway & Evans destroying a Jack-In-The-Box restaurant plus doing some serious damage to the EMW Furniture store right next door.

I also remember that huge hail storm that slammed Denver in the spring of 1990 that caught people at Elitch Gardens by surprise. I also remember that strange lawsuit that followed. I say strange because some woman had told the National Enquier about how she had seen "dead bodies" at Elitch Gardens on the Mr. Twister roller coaster, people who the woman "claimed" were killed by falling hail. Problem? Nobody was killed as a result of that hail storm, the city of Denver at the time confirmed that. Hurt yes but not killed. Anyway Elitch Gardens was NOT happy as I believe the amusement park sued both the National Enquier and that woman. Don't remember the settlement though if there was one in the first place other than an apology from one or both parties to Elitches.
Billybobwv is right on the tornado, it happened in June of 1989. Funny he should mention that part of town, coincidentally my older brother was having coffee with friends at Jim Bundy's restaurant right across the street from the Jack-In-The Box. He could see the winds coming up and in a matter of seconds half the roof blew away. Freaked out the help and the customers, for sure. A friend of mine who owned Record Revival, one of Denvers oldest used music stores, which was halfway down the block, remarked to me when I saw him a few days afterward "I thought my inventory would be frisbee-ing across the sky from here all the way to Des Moines!"

I was working at the Fort St. Vrain Plant during that time, that morning I went to work three huge funnel clouds hung in the skyline north of the metro area for the entire afternoon. Pretty wicked looking, too!

There was a couple small ones that touched down in the south Denver area, didn't do a lot of damage. The one that was on the ground for a while was the one that touched down east of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal. I saw that one close up as the contractor I worked for wanted me to drop off paychecks and safety related equipment to the guys working on the "Basin F" enviro-cleanup project there. The tornado was on the ground for maybe 10 minutes, could see it pretty clearly. It was a freak event but an event that can, and does happen.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:54 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,276,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
I didn't say that earthquakes didn't happen here, I said they aren't an issue and are rarely even felt. Although I worked in a high-rise in downtown Denver in '82 and felt a 2.8 quake. Colorado

Just remember that Yellowstone is experiencing a very high volume of quakes. When that blows well...

"In one two day period in January 2010 there were more than 250 earthquakes in the park and the quakes have been gaining strength. Prof. Robert B. Smith, a geophysicist at the University of Utah and one of the leading experts on earthquake and volcanic activity at Yellowstone, said that the activity is a "notable swarm." In late December 2008 and early January 2009, Yellowstone National park experienced the second largest earthquake swarm in Yellowstone's recorded seismic history. The swarm under the north end of Yellowstone Lake consisted of 813 earthquakes with magnitudes ranging up to 3.9."
"Mike Stickney, director of earthquake studies at the Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology, said there is no way to predict when the next big one will hit. The Yellowstone Plateau is one of the largest super-volcanoes in the world and has gone through three volcanic cycles spanning two million years, which included some of the world's largest known eruptions."
I think Yellowstone is the big "end of the world" button Maybe it's better to be closer to it so as to not prolong the suffering!

Old 02-14-2010, 01:28 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,223,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Colorado Earthquake Information

Earthquakes at Rangely, Colorado (http://www.emporia.edu/earthsci/student/moran4/index.htm - broken link)
I'll add to that:

USGS

Quite interesting, though not particularly worrisome stuff.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:31 PM

34 posts, read 109,110 times
The front range falls victim to hail quite often. Just recently Northern Colorado was hit with a tornado that caused quite a bit of damage to towns like Windsor and Gilcrest. Tornadoes are common for us but usually they do not cause much damage or claim many lives. Wildfires may be a problem for those who live in towns edging the tree line but nothing like California. Overall, city life (whether Denver or in a surrounding suburb) is pretty free of natural disasters.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:58 PM

28 posts, read 34,041 times
ummmm earthquakes?? haha go smack the person who told you that lol

but pretty much blizzards, some hail and some flooding

but nothing serious! and wow!! one person said anything about snow lol

Old 02-15-2010, 09:37 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,276,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejiseike View Post
ummmm earthquakes?? haha go smack the person who told you that lol

but pretty much blizzards, some hail and some flooding

but nothing serious! and wow!! one person said anything about snow lol
Probably because snow doesn't tend to kill tens of thousands of people!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 AM

26,258 posts, read 49,168,003 times
Among the disasters to occur here with some regularity is the loud choking sound coming from Invesco Field....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,800,964 times
There are some small tornadoes every once in a while during the summer, but they don't do any real damage.
I don't think there's any issues with earthquakes. Different places in the southwest desert experience very mild earthquakes rarely, but not enough to notice or affect anything. The reason for the occurrence of these small earthquakes is the location of the Continental Divide and various faults that come off it.

Thunderstorms and occasional hail storms.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:07 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,195,389 times
Earthquakes: yes (see links above)
Wildfires (Prairie and Forest): yes
Tornadoes: yes
Floods: Yes, if you're near a creek or river
Blizzard: yes
Lighting Strikes: Yes

IMO, the ones in bold are the most likely and regular, unless you're way out on the eastern plains, then un-bold wildfires and bold-out tornadoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver