Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,635,315 times

Advertisements

How does it work in Colorado if one has health insurance coverage through their job/employer, with family coverage...

And one of the family members is a young adult, 18, but still in school? But, the school/child is in another state?

Here in FL, we can continue to cover a child over 18 on our 'employee w/family policy', as long as the child is in 'school'. So, HS or college.

Is this the same rule in CO?

I am sure someone on here has a child 18 or older, in college in a different state.....so, how does this work?

Just thinking re: the future, potential scenario.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:06 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,455,086 times
It's not a state thing, it's an insurance company thing.... and the only answer you need to concern yourself with is what your specific insurance policy says. This isn't the kind of thing you want to take random answers from an internet forum on, go directly to the source.

That said, I've never heard of ANY insurance policy that didn't cover kids up to 21 who were in school full time. There's always the first time though, and insurance companies are cutting benefits left and right anymore.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:11 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,520,267 times
The other thing to consider is even if the insurance covers your out of state child, are there "in network" providers even available in that state.....

Old 02-09-2010, 11:48 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,635,315 times
good replies. I guess I am hoping now that someone who actually has benefits thru an employer and a kid in college in another state.
how does it work out with in/out of network providers? anyone with that experience?
say if parent lives in CO and kid is in college in Kentucky, with your coverage...what if they needed to go to a dr.? how did that work? thanks.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:54 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,520,267 times
I am in that situation. Our insurance is in CO. My DD is in college in WY. There are NO in network agreements in the ENTIRE state. Of course, emergency care is covered. Fortunately, she is not that far a drive if she needs to have a regular Dr. appt. but it is a PITA when she need a Dr. but it is not an emergency. You really need to talk to your insurance people regarding coverage. They will be the only ones who can answer specific questions WRT the coverage they provide.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 AM

11,845 posts, read 34,508,459 times
I am covered under husband's insurance. He is in CA. Both DD's are in CO. One is in college.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:31 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,314,715 times
Depends on your insurance company, whether it's local or national, and the extent of the network.

I have Anthem BC/BS PPO. One of the reasons I chose it is the national (actually, international) network of docs and hospitals. I have one kid in college in NYC and she went to an in-network provider in NYC, when needed. If there is no network where you kid is, ask your HR person how that is handled. Sometimes there are provisions different than paying the higher out-of-network copays/deductibles if there is no network nearby.

Do you have more than one option for insurance? If so, choose one with a national network. The biggies are BC/BS, Aetna, Cigna, and United Healthcare. I'm sure there are others, too.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:44 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times
Both of my kids went to college out of state and they were covered under our insurance here in CO. As BarryK123 says, it depends on the network. There were no problems with either one of my kids getting coverage when they needed it. One went to college in Minnesota, near Minneapolis, and the other in Indiana near Chicago. Your student also will have use of the student health center if there is one at his/her college.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:46 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,393,990 times
I'm a grad student in CO still on my parents' coverage in FL. So yes depends on the company.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,515,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
good replies. I guess I am hoping now that someone who actually has benefits thru an employer and a kid in college in another state.
how does it work out with in/out of network providers? anyone with that experience?
say if parent lives in CO and kid is in college in Kentucky, with your coverage...what if they needed to go to a dr.? how did that work? thanks.
I am a former health insurance claims adjuster. The advice given here for you to check out your policy is the only thing you should be doing. DO NOT assume that just because for instance you have Blue Cross and someone else has Blue Cross your coverage will be the same. I have worked with policies that did what you need and some that did not.

Insurance policies are like snowflakes; no two are alike unless you are talking about an HMO and even then they could differ. Many people make the same mistake you are making in that they are asking others who only know about their own plans. You must check out the coverage you have. If you do not have coverage now, make sure that whatever you get meets your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: