Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 07:34 AM

28 posts, read 81,071 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I'm moving from Chicago to Colorado soon (yeah!!) and plan to buy in Denver. I am staying with a friend in Westminster until I find a place and since I'm buying right off the bat I obviously want to make the most sound decision.

I found a few condos in the Uptown area that I liked (17th & Pearl) but haven't heard anything about the neighborhood. It looks nice but I didn't see any people to know anything about demographics.

Is it safe? What are the ages / living styles? I am a single professional woman almost 40 (but I look and act under 30 -haha) who enjoys the urban lifestyle. I will have a car but I'm all about walkability to restaurants and nightlife. Any feedback?

Also looking for great adventure clubs to join to meet people ie. hiking, skiing, biking etc.

Thanks!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 08:10 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpie70 View Post
Hi all

I'm moving from Chicago to Colorado soon (yeah!!) and plan to buy in Denver. I am staying with a friend in Westminster until I find a place and since I'm buying right off the bat I obviously want to make the most sound decision.

I found a few condos in the Uptown area that I liked (17th & Pearl) but haven't heard anything about the neighborhood. It looks nice but I didn't see any people to know anything about demographics.

Is it safe? What are the ages / living styles? I am a single professional woman almost 40 (but I look and act under 30 -haha) who enjoys the urban lifestyle. I will have a car but I'm all about walkability to restaurants and nightlife. Any feedback?

Also looking for great adventure clubs to join to meet people ie. hiking, skiing, biking etc.

Thanks!
Michelle
I don't know anyone personally who lives in Uptown, but it seems like a really nice neighborhood. I would imagine it's reasonably safe, or as safe as any decent urban neighborhood could be. It doesn't have a reputation as being unsafe.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:33 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,839 times
Safe yes. Close proximity to tons of things. 17th Ave has become the new restaurant row. Lived there for a decade.

I'm guessing the place you are looking it is one of the new build in-fills in what was an area of warehouses and empty lots with a few houses until the late 90's.

Technically, according to the city at least this area is called Capitol Hill North. Other parts across Park Ave that are often included in Uptown are technically City Park West.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:02 AM

6,789 posts, read 9,337,164 times
Be careful about the condos you like on 17th and Pearl. I can find the specific address if you need it, but I had an old co-worker who was renting a 1-bedroom while it was for sale and had to make an emergency move because of bed bugs and other issues. Now it seems like many of the units in that particular building are for sale and much cheaper than everything else around it. I'm not saying 'don't buy' but definitely be careful!

edit: I love the neighborhood, however. I wish I could afford something there! Just wanted to warn you about that specific building.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:12 AM

151 posts, read 397,434 times
It's not a bad choice, but I'd feel out some other neighborhoods too, just for comparative purposes:

-Washington Park
-LoDo/Central Platte Valley
-Highlands

Old 12-18-2009, 03:09 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,839 times
Stay east of I-25 if you can as it adds an obstacle to get over to the east side where 95 percent of everything you will be doing is. Comparables to Uptown are going to be Cheeseman, City Park West and bits of Congress Park.

Washington Park is a plaugeland of scrapes and oversized houses on tiny lots.

In uptown you are going to be central and close to everything.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:53 PM

151 posts, read 397,434 times
To each their own, there are some stunning architectures around Wash Park. And who am I to say what's oversized to another family. Plus, that's really only a block or two around the perimeter. Go a few blocks off and you've got streets of original 1920s bungalows.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:25 PM

28 posts, read 81,071 times
Thanks all - basically I am looking for a safe neighborhood with an urban feel, 30-40 single professionals and walkable (even tho I will have a car) My goal is to get a 2 bedroom condo >1200 square feet for $250-300K. I prefer a condo vs. a house since I'll be coming solo and can share major expenses with other owners. I'm staying with a friend in Westminster until I settle in so I should have time, but I hope I am not asking for too much. I really don't know which is why I am here! From what I've seen of uptown it seems to meet that criteria but I'm open to other ideas. I will be working in Lakewood so being close to 6 would be ideal.

Happy Holidays Everyone & Thanks again!

Michelle

Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 14,052 times
I'm a suburban gal, but I can tell you to check out meetup.com for lots of fun outdoor clubs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver