Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:09 PM

42 posts, read 166,706 times

Advertisements

We will be making our move to Denver the week of Thanksgiving and I'm worried about driving especially if there is parts that get lots of snow. Also is it safe for the moving company to move you during that time? I have a AWD SUV but not sure what the drive will be like. Anyone that has done that drive can give me some advise that would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 10:27 AM

6,791 posts, read 9,340,858 times
I think you will be OK unless a huge snowstorm happens to come through, which nobody can really predict right now. If it helps you feel better, I moved from Redondo Beach to Denver on the day after Thanksgiving in 2006 and had no problems taking the 15 to I-70. There was snow on the side of the road of course, but the interstate itself was plowed and clear.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:53 AM

62 posts, read 250,017 times
My wife and I made the move from San Francisco to the Denver area, with the drive coming in late March (when, as it turns out, there's still an excellent chance of snow in the Rockies). We checked the weather, saw that Utah was going to be nearly impassable that day, and took an alternate route. We went down I-5 to I-40 over to Albuquerque and then up I-25 (rather than I-80/I-70 the whole way). I believe Google Maps estimated that this added four hours to our trip, but it was the right decision.

So, watch the weather and pick the route that is the clearest.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
My husband moved (drove) from CA to Denver in early January w/o a problem. I15 to I70. Keep an eye on the weather and time it so you don't arrive during a storm.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
November shouldn't be bad. Keep your eyes on the weather for any unseasonally heavy snow but honestly, I think the worst weather tends to be in the Feb-early April timeframe.....

Old 10-17-2009, 09:41 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,968 times
The weekend after Thanksgiving '08 we were driving back to CO from San Diego. We spent the night in Grand Junction because of the weather in the resort areas. On Sunday morning I checked the road conditions(cotrip.org) and decided to use I-50 through Montrose and Monarch Pass to Pueblo. It was a good decision because CDot closed 70 due to the many accidents. The storm was coming in from the north and 50 only had snow for a small stretch up near Monarch. Weather will be day to day in Nov.
> Make sure you have good wipers and winter washer fluid good down to at least -30 degrees. Nothing worse than having your windshield freeze over creating a very dangerous situation. Had it happen to me in a rental car with CA plates that I got in Colorado Springs. You will use the wipers and washer fluid more in 1 week here than 5 years in San Diego

Old 10-17-2009, 09:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
also, taking the southern route does not always work out either. My parents drove up I25 from the south in October and had snow on the Palmer Divide.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:54 PM

42 posts, read 166,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
The weekend after Thanksgiving '08 we were driving back to CO from San Diego. We spent the night in Grand Junction because of the weather in the resort areas. On Sunday morning I checked the road conditions(cotrip.org) and decided to use I-50 through Montrose and Monarch Pass to Pueblo. It was a good decision because CDot closed 70 due to the many accidents. The storm was coming in from the north and 50 only had snow for a small stretch up near Monarch. Weather will be day to day in Nov.
> Make sure you have good wipers and winter washer fluid good down to at least -30 degrees. Nothing worse than having your windshield freeze over creating a very dangerous situation. Had it happen to me in a rental car with CA plates that I got in Colorado Springs. You will use the wipers and washer fluid more in 1 week here than 5 years in San Diego
Thanks for the tips this is the only part of moving that is making me nervous. My husband said we will stay in Cedar City, Utah as a half way point to spilt up the drive. I refuse to drive at night so I don't care how long it takes us to drive. I will definetely use that website you posted.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:24 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
It seems extreme to me to drive all the way down to I-40 and then take I-25 up, especially since that area gets blizzards too.

More than likely you won't have a problem on I-70. My advice is that you stop in Grand Junction and check the weather and road conditions for I-70. If there's a fresh storm coming in, stay in Junction for a day or two, let the storm pass and let the plows clear 70, and then you'll be fine.

If there's no fresh winter storm hitting the Rockies, then there's no need to stop in Grand Junction. Just continue on your way to Denver.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
The 40 to 25 route would be more likely to not have snow in November. November is quite dry along the Front Range, but snowy in the mountains (70 route). Your best bet is the southern route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver