Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 AM

56 posts, read 210,581 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am looking into moving to Colorado. I have been to Co many times, my sister lives in Thornton city. The reason why I want to move out of NYC is mainly....well... I'll be honest, the very stressful life style. I have a good paying job, but as I'm getting older (I'm 29 years old), I come to realize that money is really not the most important thing in life. People in NY are quite brutal, no one looks out for anyone else but themselves weather your on line in a grocery store or a new job. I'm growing more and more unhappy here, dissatisfied with my work, with the stress that comes with it, with people being nasty and rude and ruthless to other people. What I love about Co are the laid back people, friendliness, and of course I'm not talking about the beauty of Co. But what I'm really scared off is finding work. I work as an Administrative Assistant in finance. What I'm also afraid off, is that as the waged in Co are not as high as in NYC for the same job, I will have a hard time surviving. Can anyone help. I ma looking into relocating to Thornton, Denver Metro Are, DTC.
Tks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
The wages aren't as high but the cost of living is probably 1/3 to 1/2 what you're used to in NY. You don't need to make $100k/yr when you can buy a house for $250k or rent an apartment for $700/mo.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:41 AM

72 posts, read 182,013 times
Default Big question.

I myself have the same issue with moving to Colorado. I am in your same boat with a good job but tired of where I live. The stress of Bay Area living stinks but It pays the bills and my family has a good life. I don't think think there is anything that will really help except actually moving and working hard to make things work in Colorado. Forget about getting any responses on Jobs while you are aot of state. I am at the top of my industry and here in the Bay Area I have been able to pick and choose who I work for what pay... When I take my resume to colorado I get nothing. Not a little, Nothing? My wife has here family in Parker and they all say you are the kind of person that will do good here, but untill you get here nobody will talk to you. Good luck, I would move wile you are still young. COlorado has alot to offer.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Mark, Lucy, Out of Staters:

No firm wants to hire a distant person unless desperate. One way around that is to get a Vonage phone with an area code for the region you want to be in, which for Denver is A/C 303, or 719 for COLO SPGS.

This way you look local to employers; you should get calls, and you may get interviews. I don't care that some people consider this "unethical" but there are FEW ethics left in this country anymore, especially in the corporate world.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy29 View Post
I'll be honest, the very stressful life style. I have a good paying job, but as I'm getting older (I'm 29 years old), I come to realize that money is really not the most important thing in life.
Be happy that you've realized this. There are so many people that don't understand it and never will.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:13 AM

I have a place to stay for a while when I get to Co if I decide to move (like I said my sis lives in Thornton).

Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
I have a place to stay for a while when I get to Co if I decide to move (like I said my sis lives in Thornton).
That's a huge advantage. Use her address on your resume, but I still recommend the Vonage phone number.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 AM

I will definitely look into that. Thank you.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Then go for it, give CO a shot!

Do what YOU want to do! The only way you'll escape the stressful life in NYC is if you leave it behind. Vote with your feet!

Don't worry about finding a job, it will happen for you in due time. You'll get paid less, but you won't need all that extra money anyway, you won't have to pay for sky-high rent, tolls, cabs or subways here.

I left Southern CA for the exact same reason: stress. Looking back, I don't know how I dealt with the traffic, lack of seasons, and insane cost-of-living.

Can you believe that there are people there (CA) that are willing to drive two hours each way to work? (I'm sure people in NYC do just as silly things!) Insanity. Seems like such a foreign idea to me now, living in CO has certainly opened my eyes up to how life should be.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:23 AM

and just to add- I would like to have children in the future. I don't see myself having children in NYC. They are just as mean and rude and the adults.

Yeah - I'm seriously losing my sanity here. Change is what scares me, I just need to get over that I guess.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-27-2009 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver