Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:14 PM

369 posts, read 966,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpjebolts View Post
And no cat jokes...Cat haters!!!
Hey, I like cats, but not zombies...with their appetite for brains and their smug attitudes...

Anyway, we have both coyotes and fox in our neighborhood (S. Denver) and several cats in the area have gone missing lately. We also have a cat that we let outside when she feels the urge. Usually we're outside with her - everyone's going in and out, doors open kind of thing - but not always. Two loud and active kids tend to ward off any small predators We never let her stay out overnight, it seems the wild critters are active in the early morning when there are fewer people around. If we leave the house, we tend to make sure she's inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 PM

224 posts, read 559,688 times
Default it's no joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpjebolts View Post
Will they eat my cats! we r moving there and we are concerned about that.

And no cat jokes...Cat haters!!!
Yep they will eat your cats. Think about their welfare and keep 'em inside.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
We think a coyote ate one of our cats! They sleep indoors now!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:59 PM

4 posts, read 5,072 times
I just heard today there have been at least 7 dogs killed by coyotes in my neighborhood since the 4th of July. Two healthy adult Labs and a healthy adult German Shepherd among them. Usually they are not a problem but the neighbors say they've seen as many as 10 in this pack with young living in a very urban neighborhood I can't imagine they are living off anything other than pets. We live in the South Harvey Park neighborhood near Sheridan and hwy285. Anyone got any suggestions on what can be done? The neighbors have told me they have called the city and been told there is no money in the budget to do anything. One was even told to shoot the coyote if it comes in her yard again, which is illegal I'm sure within the city limits.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:17 PM

369 posts, read 966,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymama View Post
I just heard today there have been at least 7 dogs killed by coyotes in my neighborhood since the 4th of July. Two healthy adult Labs and a healthy adult German Shepherd among them. Usually they are not a problem but the neighbors say they've seen as many as 10 in this pack with young living in a very urban neighborhood I can't imagine they are living off anything other than pets. We live in the South Harvey Park neighborhood near Sheridan and hwy285. Anyone got any suggestions on what can be done? The neighbors have told me they have called the city and been told there is no money in the budget to do anything. One was even told to shoot the coyote if it comes in her yard again, which is illegal I'm sure within the city limits.
If it's true that seven dogs have been taken down by a pack of ~10 coyotes, I'm pretty sure your city council member can find the money to get them trapped or shot. I would call your city council member directly and ask them what to do:

Denver City Council Members

One person calling about an issue doesn't mean much. A group of neighbors demanding something makes a city council member take action. So you need to get together with your neighbors and make it happen.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:52 AM

56 posts, read 153,078 times
We used to see them first thing in the morning (they'd come through the open space behind my house and try to trick the dogs on the back fences) but not soo much anymore. Doesn't mean they aren't around...just more houses now for them to look for food. We live in Parker.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:53 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,974 times
I live in Broomfield where there's supposed to be a problem. I don't want to sound naive but the only times I've seen coyotes they've been slightly larger than a fox and alone. I'm sure they could do some damage but I'm not really afraid. Most of the human/dog attacks in or area were either people trying to pet them or dogs chasing them.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:55 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver_hacker View Post
If it's true that seven dogs have been taken down by a pack of ~10 coyotes, I'm pretty sure your city council member can find the money to get them trapped or shot. I would call your city council member directly and ask them what to do:

Denver City Council Members

One person calling about an issue doesn't mean much. A group of neighbors demanding something makes a city council member take action. So you need to get together with your neighbors and make it happen.
Contact and join your local registered neighborhood organization (RNO). Find out who your council person is, then call and find out which RNO is for your area.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
There are much more danger from domestic dogs than any coyote. More people have been killed and bitten by your friendly neighborhood pet. The real threat on walking on urban trails is those dogs which are let loose, run loose and are not controlled by the owners. These pets run in packs in the city and the mountains, yet we do not take that threat seriously--because they are pets.

Yes, coyotes can be problems and if they are, should be brought to the attention of the authorities. I often hear and read stories about dogs being attacked, but these dogs are not leashed and not contained. A dog cannot chase a coyote if it is properly leashed, as required by law. I am sadden about pets that are hurt by coyotes but in some instances, not all, it is the negligent pet owner who causes the problem.

Livecontent

Old 08-14-2010, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 5,072 times
We have all been letting our City Councel rep. know, as well as the City Animal Control, the City Wildlife Ecologist, the Division of Wildlife and our neighborhood association. They all tell us the same thing, they will not do anything about them. The count is now up to 12 dogs (that we know of) and all were taken out of their own backyards. 2 Labs, a German Shepherd and a Golden Retriever among them so not only small dogs are at risk and many have 6 foot fences.
There will be a neighborhood meeting Aug. 24th at 7:00 p.m. at the Harvey Park rec. center with the City Wildlife Ecologist but I'm pretty sure she will tell us just what's on the pamplet they've been sending out to everyone that contacts them - they won't do anything about them and when their food source runs out (our pets I take it since there in no natural prey in our neighborhood) they will leave. Now if it were a person or dog doing this I'm sure there would be immediate action but since they are wild animals we just have to live with it? I think it's a ridiculous policy, we need to look at changing. There are at least 2 packs with as many as 10 in each living in a residential neighborhood and we just have to live with it? Give me a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver