Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:32 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,790,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Dont worry I'll never take a person's word who has never lived in denver.
You need to seriously chill out. I don't live in Denver NOW, but I have lived there before. Alright?

When I'm talking about Denver's music scene, I'm talking as a musician. Take a look at my handle: 80skeys. What do you think that means, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 03:42 PM

795 posts, read 2,411,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You need to seriously chill out. I don't live in Denver NOW, but I have lived there before. Alright?

When I'm talking about Denver's music scene, I'm talking as a musician. Take a look at my handle: 80skeys. What do you think that means, huh?
Funny thing is I thought “80keys” was how much stuff you.....

In another post you say your dad lived in Denver. Is this what you mean by when you say you lived in Denver? Because when asked about ever living in Denver by other posters in the past you never replied you have.

Maybe you are a musician but this does not give you credibility to speak of another cities music scene when you practically live in Utah in a small town and not in Denver.

I am not sure you ever knew about Denver having live music outside of the Pepsi center. At least that’s what I get from your post and suggests your knowledge of Denver and music is very limited.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:51 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,790,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
In another post you say your dad lived in Denver. Is this what you mean by when you say you lived in Denver? Because when asked about ever living in Denver by other posters in the past you never replied you have.
I don't recall anybody asking me. In any case, I don't think I've ever posted about living in Honolulu either but I have.

Quote:
Maybe you are a musician but this does not give you credibility to speak of another cities music scene when you practically live in Utah in a small town and not in Denver.
I'm familiar with it. I know what I'm talking about.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:28 PM

795 posts, read 2,411,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I don't recall anybody asking me. In any case, I don't think I've ever posted about living in Honolulu either but I have.

I'm familiar with it. I know what I'm talking about.
Here this may help you out
Denver Music - Denver Concerts and Clubs

Old 04-13-2010, 06:21 PM

93 posts, read 295,878 times
I think the original poster is talking about music scene as a fan, not a musician...not to bring you down or anything, bc i respect musicians, i do...but that is what i will be talking about...

I dunno about you guys, but a music scene is first of all, completely relative to what kind of music you are into.... as previous posts have stated, there is a good "indie, emo, psychobilly," or whatever else you want to throw in there....its got a good scene for that kind of stuff. I see a lot of metal fans, and lots of punks with tattoos...and i love it. Not that i am into that scene, but i can definitely tell there is a good atmosphere for that...take a walk down SoBo (broadway) i think they have lots of good venues, and some event (i cant remember what its called) but its a poor mans version of south by southwest...in SoBo Denver. features lots of good LOCAL talent, as well other emo stuff that i dont listen to lol... but i know it would be cool for anyone who likes just about any kind of rock music.

But the music scene(s) i am into, are one of the, if not THE main reasons i moved to denver. I first of all like electronic stuff (more specifically idm, ambient, downtempo, glitch, breakbeat, dubstep, and many others..), world music (afrobeat, reggae, world beat jam, experimental, etc), Jazzy/Funky/Groovy, and ofcourse Jam Bands, and folk stuff too.... I personally think Denver has got to be in top 5 in the nation for any of that kind of stuff aside from California...i mean it just has everything. Underground stuff in every kind of genre, hip hop, electronic, jam, jazz, folk, bluegrass, all kinds of side projects, it even has good pop music and stuff your little sister listens to on MTV...

ofcourse, thats just my opinion.

edit: I use JamBase.com for concert listings personally. Also cervantesmasterpiece.com as that is imo one of the top 3 venues in town.... it lists all the upcoming shows, most of which are going to be INCREDIBLE....take a look at Re:Unified Field for example, Apr.30th, and May-1st... its a 2 day event for 40 bucks in advance(or 20/day), featuring over a dozen of the best electronic producers on the "scene"....an absolute steal to me....and Fri May-7th w/Tipper and Marty Party is going to be a good dance party too, thats a fact.

So it really depends on what your looking for, but imo, Denver kicks major arse for music... i have to skip out on lots of good shows because either a.) you cant afford it, or would rather spend money on another show, or b.) there is a better show going on that same night..i think thats a good sign that the live music is live and breathing in Denver. atleast for the music i listen to. every weekend there is something good in Denver that would be a cant miss event somewhere else....

oh and such a great music fanbase in Denver is a musician's dream, so the fact that asking local musicians about the scene...well im sure they would tell you its one of the best. Unless they suck and nobody goes to their shows.. I actually know musicians who have moved to Denver just for the opportunity to blow up in a place where people know music.... Bands relocate to the Denver area all the time bc there is a solid fanbase for it...and bands are born in the Denver area all the time too for the same reasons...

Last edited by KottkeKU; 04-13-2010 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-13-2010, 08:43 PM

177 posts, read 487,331 times
Regardless of what city you are in, if you don't like your music scene or feel it doesn't have enough of the music you like

A) start playing the music you like. Even if it's only for one person. There can't be a fan base for something no one is playing, and it has to start somewhere. And

B) go out and check out bands in genres you don't normally listen to. Not only will you be supporting local music, but you may accidentally discover a whole new genre of music you never knew you liked.

I nearly missed the opportunity to discover a whole new branch of music I came to love, and came to be known for shooting. Go figure.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:59 AM

556 posts, read 1,200,898 times
one other place i forgot- RHINOCEROPOLIS - it's a city of rhinos, tell your friends is the only true underground venue i know of in the city. similiar to toddP shows in flatbush if you're from NYC.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:15 PM

23 posts, read 56,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPhoto View Post
I'm looking at moving to Denver possibly, and other than SoCal, Denver is one of the four top cities for psychobilly. You probably haven't heard of it (as I hadn't until 4 years ago) but it's a fusion of rockabilly and punk, with a healthy dose of schlocky horror homages thrown in. It's a small national scene with a very friendly and family feel overall, and my friends in bands tell me the Denver crowds are among the friendliest. Think upright basses, rockabilly pompadours (or "wedges" - a cross between a pompadour and mohawk) and Bettie Page...with lots of tattoos. And the whole car culture thing.

Just something you might want to check out for fun.

BTW, if you saw Rob Zombie's Halloween 2, the band playing at the party is psychobilly and Rob had the Nekromantix -- on of the best known American psycho bands besides Tiger Army -- open for him on his last tour.
i have heard of it and heard it. there are not too many genres i haven't heard. it's not exactly my scene, but those are some fun shows for sure.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
one other place i forgot- RHINOCEROPOLIS - it's a city of rhinos, tell your friends is the only true underground venue i know of in the city. similiar to toddP shows in flatbush if you're from NYC.
THANKS! and yes haha, i know what you mean by a toddP show... many of my good friends have worked for him. the area he has his shows in isn't exactly what most people in Brooklyn would call Flatbush - they're in Bushwick and Williamsburg, and Ridgewood in Queens, mostly.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
I think the original poster is talking about music scene as a fan, not a musician...not to bring you down or anything, bc i respect musicians, i do...but that is what i will be talking about...

I dunno about you guys, but a music scene is first of all, completely relative to what kind of music you are into.... as previous posts have stated, there is a good "indie, emo, psychobilly," or whatever else you want to throw in there....its got a good scene for that kind of stuff. I see a lot of metal fans, and lots of punks with tattoos...and i love it. Not that i am into that scene, but i can definitely tell there is a good atmosphere for that...take a walk down SoBo (broadway) i think they have lots of good venues, and some event (i cant remember what its called) but its a poor mans version of south by southwest...in SoBo Denver. features lots of good LOCAL talent, as well other emo stuff that i dont listen to lol... but i know it would be cool for anyone who likes just about any kind of rock music.

But the music scene(s) i am into, are one of the, if not THE main reasons i moved to denver. I first of all like electronic stuff (more specifically idm, ambient, downtempo, glitch, breakbeat, dubstep, and many others..), world music (afrobeat, reggae, world beat jam, experimental, etc), Jazzy/Funky/Groovy, and ofcourse Jam Bands, and folk stuff too.... I personally think Denver has got to be in top 5 in the nation for any of that kind of stuff aside from California...i mean it just has everything. Underground stuff in every kind of genre, hip hop, electronic, jam, jazz, folk, bluegrass, all kinds of side projects, it even has good pop music and stuff your little sister listens to on MTV...

ofcourse, thats just my opinion.

edit: I use JamBase.com for concert listings personally. Also cervantesmasterpiece.com as that is imo one of the top 3 venues in town.... it lists all the upcoming shows, most of which are going to be INCREDIBLE....take a look at Re:Unified Field for example, Apr.30th, and May-1st... its a 2 day event for 40 bucks in advance(or 20/day), featuring over a dozen of the best electronic producers on the "scene"....an absolute steal to me....and Fri May-7th w/Tipper and Marty Party is going to be a good dance party too, thats a fact.

So it really depends on what your looking for, but imo, Denver kicks major arse for music... i have to skip out on lots of good shows because either a.) you cant afford it, or would rather spend money on another show, or b.) there is a better show going on that same night..i think thats a good sign that the live music is live and breathing in Denver. atleast for the music i listen to. every weekend there is something good in Denver that would be a cant miss event somewhere else....

oh and such a great music fanbase in Denver is a musician's dream, so the fact that asking local musicians about the scene...well im sure they would tell you its one of the best. Unless they suck and nobody goes to their shows.. I actually know musicians who have moved to Denver just for the opportunity to blow up in a place where people know music.... Bands relocate to the Denver area all the time bc there is a solid fanbase for it...and bands are born in the Denver area all the time too for the same reasons...
Thanks for the info! Well I play guitar and sing a bit but only when I'm alone! I did mean as a fan mostly, or rather, as a photographer - I shoot at a lot of rock and indie/folk shows in NY (yeah even the "emo" and "pop-punk" stuff). Not a big metal head (there's a few exceptions), because I grew up in an area of NY state that is still stuck in like, metal hair band nostalgia 80s hell, and I hated it my entire life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver