Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 PM

93 posts, read 196,884 times

Advertisements

This coming December I will graduate college with a B.S. in History, with a minor in Criminal Justice. My former job experience that means anything includes: two years as a correctional officer and some fast food management experience (I'd prefer not to go back to food, but would consider it). What opportunities could Denver offer? I don't want to move somewhere and barely make it. I love the mountains and want to try something different from the Appalachians in Virginia. I moved back to Missouri to finish college. I wanted to get out of working in a prison and that prompted my move to finish school. I do have one friend in Denver, which is a plus over other western cities. I am assuming I will not be rooming with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 AM

104 posts, read 288,772 times
we have a killer job market for 29 year olds, when's your next birthday?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 AM

104 posts, read 288,772 times
I can only tell you what I know about my industry, which is trucking and freight delivery. We are laying off dock workers, and cutting hours of drivers. It is thesame across the board for other's in the industry. UPS's dock is basically empty,it has no freight to deliver. I don't know if this is the best time to be relocating,but I am a firm believer that one can always find work if they present themselves in the right way.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:25 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,801 times
Quote:
am a firm believer that one can always find work if they present themselves in the right way.
True.

The economy everywhere is terrible, as we all know. Layoffs are mounting and will continue for quite some time.

Denver is a hard town to find a job in when times are good.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:43 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
I would not recomend Denver. I am in a similar situation to the original poster, college grad, late 20's.

I know that things are tough all over, but I have literally turned in my resume to about 50 places. And ended up getting a low-paying job that won't even give me full time hours. It doesn't even pay me enough for bare minimum survival.

I'm thinking of leaving Denver soon because I can't get into a decent job here.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:18 PM

369 posts, read 966,410 times
Denver and Colorado seem to be doing better than the rest of the country in terms of the recession:

Colo. recession forecast: fair - The Denver Post

But it's not an easy time to be starting out in a new city...

Old 01-22-2009, 07:16 PM

164 posts, read 596,191 times
The job market in Denver is suffering a bit. But I'd assume it's better than in Missouri or Virginia. There is work here, but it may be entry level or less than desirable.
But keep this in mind: many people living in Denver are from elsewhere and their influx/exodus will work in your favor. The help wanted section of the newspaper is slimmer than usual, but there are jobs available. Something history-oriented may be difficult to find, and just getting in on the ground floor of a company may be more the ticket.
More accurately, if you really want to get out of Missouri, then by all means take the chance knowing that there's work in Denver if you want it.

Good Luck in your search.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
True.

The economy everywhere is terrible, as we all know. Layoffs are mounting and will continue for quite some time.

Denver is a hard town to find a job in when times are good.
Actually, ten years ago, the economy here was red hot! It's "boom and bust".

Old 02-18-2009, 01:48 AM

93 posts, read 196,884 times
I had heard great things about Denver prior to the recession, but it seems to be in the same boat as every other city. I have seriously considered becoming a police officer due to my experience in corrections. Any idea what the market is for law enforcement in the are? Ohh...like many others who go through college on their own, my credit is poor. Maybe a police department wouldn't work out because of that. Anyways, thanks for your replies so far. Any other information would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: