Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:54 AM

15 posts, read 33,546 times

Advertisements

I have been looking on craigslist for houses for rent. I have found a couple houses but the owners are out of the country. I don't feel safe sending a large sum of money hoping for keys in return. Has anyone encountered this before and is it ligit? pls help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:12 AM

156 posts, read 720,516 times
I was also looking at possible rentals on Craigslist. We have gone a different route, but there are tips right ON Craigslist regarding housing that answer your question:

You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:
  • DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
  • NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
  • FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
  • CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
  • NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
  • AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
I personally never would do the type of situation you are describing. Have you considered finding a property management company?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 AM

698 posts, read 2,056,536 times
Default Be Careful

Could be one of the Craigslist rental scams running around Denver lately

New scam out of Africa rents Denver homes on Craigslist : World : The Rocky Mountain News

Old 01-15-2009, 09:03 AM

7,083 posts, read 12,106,782 times
Don't do it, you'll never see your money again. Most likely they don't even own the house, they just find one that looks nice...lowball the rent...and wait for money.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 AM

i thank you for your help but i am not in Co. I live in arkansas and am trying to do this from home. I have done research on CO and loike it alot but I have just enough to move there.

anyone have any suggestions on who to go through. My credit isnt all that great. big mistake when i was 18!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:57 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,100,274 times
What's the rush? I suggest staying where you are and saving your money until you have enough to be here in person to do your search.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 AM

formercalifornian i want you to look up pine bluff ar and give me 1 good reason i should stay here. i have lived here for 3 yrs and i am now on 4 kinds of depression meds! So yes getting out of here ASAP would be the best choice for me!!!!! I can't stand these rude ass ppl down here. they are lazy ignorant you name it!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:17 PM

156 posts, read 720,516 times
What about just renting an apartment? That would probably be cheaper than a house anyway....just a thought!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,100,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transamgrl View Post
formercalifornian i want you to look up pine bluff ar and give me 1 good reason i should stay here. i have lived here for 3 yrs and i am now on 4 kinds of depression meds! So yes getting out of here ASAP would be the best choice for me!!!!! I can't stand these rude ass ppl down here. they are lazy ignorant you name it!
There's no need to be so brusque. I'm sorry you're having a hard time, but I'd hate for you to hop out of the frying pan into the fire by getting taken. I can't imagine that would be any better for your mental health. Please be careful. That's all.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:29 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,598,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transamgrl View Post
Is Denver supposed to change that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver