Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:26 PM

104 posts, read 288,785 times

Advertisements

Hi, am trying to find the best place to buy a house or town home that wouldbe a easy commute to work, and yet be in a good neighborhood, or at least an up-and-coming neighborhood. I work at I-70 and Havana road on the NW corner. I don't want my commute to be any more than twenty minutes long.I forgot to mention that my bank approval is for 125K, which doesn't buymuch in the Denver area, by and large. Montbello is the closest neighborhood to work, but I refuse to live there.It would be depressing to live there, in my opinion.Commerce City is also close by. I think Commerce City would be a betterlocation than Montbello because it is close to Northfield and Stapleton.But the houses along Quebec street in CC are pitiful looking. There is also the Northern part of Commerce City.For example, 96th ave. and Highway 2. This is all newer construction,but something tells me to stay away. Foreclosures and low housing pricesaren't good signs. Green Valley Ranch would be an easy commute, but it has the same problems as the last comments. I refuse to live in North Aurora. I hate it there. So what's left? What about something close-by to the Stapletonhousing area? I know Stapleton itself is very expensive, but are thereneighborhoods bordering Stapleton that are affordable?On Quebec, for example, south of I-70, there is a small, new shopping center calledthe Quebec Square at Stapleton. The shopping center is on the East side of Quebec. Right across the street on the West side of Quebec are manysmall houses. What is this area called? Basically I am thinking about thegrid from Smith Road to the North, Montview to the South, and bordered on the West and East by Monaco and Quebec, respectively. This seems to be a good location, even if the houses are small and old.What do you know about it? Do you have any other suggestions of where I might look for a house? Thornton seems too far, don't want to deal with afternoon rush hour. Thanks for your valuable input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 11:11 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Try Aurora around Iliff and I-225 (say, between Peoria and Chambers, preferably on the south side of Iliff). This is a pretty nice, established, middle class area. That's where I personally would live if I had to commute to the northeast sector of the metro area. It would be on the low end for sure, but if you really look around you just might find something in this general area for 125k. Don't quote me on this, but I *think* you should be able to make it from this area to your workplace at I-70 & Havana in just about 20 minutes in most conditions other than total blizzards. You could take either 225 to I-70 or surface streets the whole way.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:30 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
The Neighborhood directly west of Stapelton is Park Hill. Park Hill has many different types of homes and is delimited as North Park Hill, South Park Hill and Northeast Park Hill per the neighborhood map:

http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/downloads/maps/citywide/Neighborhoods.pdf (broken link)

I have posted a recent thread on Park Hill:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ll-denver.html

I would also consider areas further down on Quebec, which will still be close for a commute, such as Montclair.

Livecontent

Old 12-29-2008, 08:13 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Not that I'm a big fan of the place, but there are some smaller condos in Stapleton (Roslyn Court), in your price range. Use a real estate site to find them, zip code 80238.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:53 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Not that I'm a big fan of the place, but there are some smaller condos in Stapleton (Roslyn Court), in your price range. Use a real estate site to find them, zip code 80238.
There are also some new income qualified townhomes at MLK and Havana that I think are in that price range - and within walking distance of work for this person.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murof View Post
Basically I am thinking about thegrid from Smith Road to the North, Montview to the South, and bordered on the West and East by Monaco and Quebec, respectively. This seems to be a good location, even if the houses are small and old.What do you know about it?

I know a few people who live in this area. They all bought due to it's close proximity to both Stapleton and the nicer parts of Park Hill with the hopes that the area will increase in value. Here's an interesting article about the area.
A lesser-known Park Hill - The Denver Post

Old 12-29-2008, 02:47 PM

91 posts, read 340,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murof View Post
I know Stapleton itself is very expensive, but are thereneighborhoods bordering Stapleton that are affordable?
The East Park Hill neighborhoods might be in your price range. Another area to check out is East Montclaire. Basically this is the area between Stapleton and Lowry to the north and south and Quebec and Yosemite to the east and west. I live in this neighborhood and I really like it. I live just south of Montview, which is the southern border of Stapleton. It is a short walk to the Stapleton dog park and many of the other amenities at Stapleton. It is an area that used to be in decline, but is now on the rebound due to it's proximity to a popular area. Prices still haven't been affected too much, so you could probably still get a good deal, especially in the current buyer's market. A lot of the houses are getting bought up by fix-and-flippers, but you should be able to find one that isn't remodeled in your price range.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 PM

Thanks! Now I just have to pull up Google Maps, and pinpoint these neighborhoods that were suggested and mentioned. This to me is the fun part. Also the links are great, thanks.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 PM

Along East 104th Ave, between Chambers and Towers, there are lots and lots of housing options. This area might be called Buffalo Run,not sure. If I lived in this area, I could jump on Tower Road and take it down toI-70 West and get off at Havana. It seems like it would be simple commute. I'm leary of buying in in the Northern suburbs because of potential home depreciation due to foreclosures. I feel more comfortable buying in a Denver neighborhood, evenif the house I get for my money isn't as nice, or as new. It just feels like the Denverneighborhoods, even if they (the one's in my price range) aren't aesthetically appealing, have more price stability,don't you think? Have you ever seen the neighborhood at Broadway and 51st, in that general area?It's right in the Northeast pocket where I-70 and I-25 meet. There's a SalvationArmy thrift store up in there. It's kind of hard to get to. I don't know what to make of that neighborhood.It's got industrial businesses mixed in with residential, and I wonder if thereis a hidden charm there. I made a delivery in that area (I'm a truck driver) twotimes last week, and it's really strangely appealing. But to me, it really doescome down to demographics. I don't want to be the only white person living there.I want a healthy mix of all people, you know? I also wonder if crimeis a problem here, naturally. It could be very safe as far as I know. Obviously being soclose to the city, and the highways, would be incredibly beneficial.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
I wouldn't get so hung up on city boundaries, whether you are "Denver" or "Aurora" or something else. Instead look at the reality on the ground, the physical surroundings of the neighborhood you're interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver