Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:45 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,258,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
There are coyotes and foxes in the city too. I consistently saw a pack of 3-4 foxes this summer around the intersection of Montview and Monaco and have seen coyotes west of City Park.

So they kill a few cats and dogs that people leave out; don't want that to happen? Don't leave your pets out.

This reminds me of the guy I know who wanted help killing the squirrels in his yard. I was game until I realized that he had been feeding the birds -- and as a consequence the squirrels for some time. I'm all for offing squirrels when they become a nuisance but not when they have been baited into becoming pests they otherwise might not become.
I've seen coyotes in Westerly Creek Park on many occassions - they seem skiddish and run away, but when I walk lately at night in the dark, I go around the park rather than through it. We've also had a couple cat killings on our block recently. We have a small dog, so I'm always at her side when we go out at night, and never leave her outside. Our cat stays indoor.

I see foxes in Stapleton only in winter - I don't know why that is. Also saw a beaver recently in Westerly Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 01:47 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,189,489 times
I saw a coyote in the Hilltop neighborhood one night. There are tons on foxes in that area as well.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:57 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,092,700 times
I live in Capitol Hill and whenever the Cherry Creek river floods, we get possum, raccoons, large rats, deer, fox and homeless roaming our neighborhood. Sadly, the homeless are there with all the wildlife.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 PM

229 posts, read 751,437 times
I've seen a couple of cougars prowling around Stapleton. They've mainly been confined to the downtown area. I've heard the ones in the Cherry Creek area can be quite aggressive.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:15 PM

Now mountain lions really creap me out and I have only seen them deep in the mountains. Though I know they are all over the foothills.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,062,435 times
Aztec, I think Movementarian was referring to a different type cougar.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Aztec, I think Movementarian was referring to a different type cougar.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,054,374 times
lol
DenverAztec, check this out
Cougar

I've posted before about the foxes and coyotes I regularly saw when living in Country Club North in central Denver. They slept in the Country Club by day, and roamed at night and in the early morning hours.
A coyote used to follow my dog and I on our walks. My dog weighs more than I do, so I never felt that worried.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,059,164 times
Out here in OC our suburb backs up to O'Neill Wilderness Park which is home to mountain lions, rabbits, coyotes, etc. A couple years ago a retired cop shot a 6-foot cougar with his handgun... That's how they do it in CA I guess... News - Visit is fatal for cougar

This is an unfortunate part of living in an area with beautiful views.

Photo of Lake Rancho Santa Margarita, CA with the Saddleback Mountains & O'Neill Park in background

Old 12-10-2008, 04:54 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,062,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Out here in OC our suburb backs up to O'Neill Wilderness Park which is home to mountain lions, rabbits, coyotes, etc. A couple years ago a retired cop shot a 6-foot cougar with his handgun... That's how they do it in CA I guess... News - Visit is fatal for cougar

This is an unfortunate part of living in an area with beautiful views.

Photo of Lake Rancho Santa Margarita, CA with the Saddleback Mountains & O'Neill Park in background

Which part is unfortunate, having mountain lions visit or homeowners shooting them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver