Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 AM

82 posts, read 300,710 times

Advertisements

Say you were studying for an exan, or anything really, and you needed somewhere to do it, where would you go? Somewhere somewhat quiet. I'm looking for in the city of Denver. More specifically, Capital Hill, but I wouldn't mind a short drive.

How is the public library? What are some good delis or coffee shops that would be good for setting up shop for a couple hours? Any hidden gems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 11:05 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,801 times
St Marks Coffee house on 17th Ave a few blocks before York on the left hand (north) side is a popular place.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,076 times
I hate the denver public library for studying because they don't have wifi. crazy, I know. If you are a student on Auraria, you can easily hide in many spots in the Tivoli. Nice and quiet. The Auraria library tends to get busy with bums. I've complained but they are resistent to show them the door. Which is quite annoying as I paid a bucket of $$ to attend UCD. Not to be bothered by drunks.

Another good quiet spot, Barnes and Noble. They'll let you camp there forever. I also like Panera Bread, free wifi.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 17,295 times
Default Gypsy House

I really like the Gypsy house. It has comfy couches, good food and coffee, wifi and huka (if you are into that) to chill out when you are done. It is off of 13th and Marion...kinda but on 13th. Barnes and Noble is good as well as the Tattered Cover, it is sooo big. I like the Boiler Room at Auraria, it is tucked away and if you go upstairs, it gets nice and quite. But downstairs is more for TV watching and chilling out. Good Luck Hunting! Take your time and explore.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM

Boiler Room was exactly what I was thinking of when I said Tivoli! There are also all of these nooks and crannies there. I need quiet places, where there aren't people yelling on cell phones or teens hanging out planning their next party. Only thing about the Tivoli is that at night it can get creepy. They also have weirdo hours for the Boiler Room, closing a lot which is a bummer.

p.s. - I used to wait tables at the Boiler Room, a LONG time ago!!!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:05 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
I hate the denver public library for studying because they don't have wifi. crazy, I know. If you are a student on Auraria, you can easily hide in many spots in the Tivoli. Nice and quiet. The Auraria library tends to get busy with bums. I've complained but they are resistent to show them the door. Which is quite annoying as I paid a bucket of $$ to attend UCD. Not to be bothered by drunks.

Another good quiet spot, Barnes and Noble. They'll let you camp there forever. I also like Panera Bread, free wifi.
I came very, very close to attending UCD. In fact I planned on it, but changed my mind at the last minute earlier in the year. I thought the Auraria library was a pretty good library actually, although agree with you about the bums. Every college campus, at least public colleges have that problem though; same thing at ASU.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:15 PM

No, they don't all have them, bums that is. Univ. of Denver has a most beautiful library and law library, and to get in you have to use your student id. It's very posh, and doesn't have bums at all, except for sometimes on campus, just not nearly like Auraria.

UCD is an excellent school, although I paid for it --- it's too bad you have to pay an arm and a leg for a decent education.

I'm taking online Spanish classes at CCD, it's nice to be studying again.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 14,898 times
My favorite place on Cap. Hill would be either Gypsy House or Penn St. Perk.
All the DPL libraries now have wifi. Plus, the big downtown branch has study rooms upstairs AND there is a special computer lab where you can print for free that only folks with a student ID can use.
I went to school at Auraria and even worked in the library for a while and was never harassed by "bums". Yes, there are homeless people that hang out there but there are homeless people at Barnes and Noble and the public library and most coffee shops, too. It's good for quiet study upstairs but I often had trouble finding a seat, especially around mid terms and finals.
Another great place is The Market downtown - it's open until 11 on weeknights and they have great coffee. It's open even later on Friday and Saturday. And they have WiFi
Both Barnes and Noble and Tattered Cover can get really busy so it's loud and hard to find a seat. You have to buy something at the Starbucks at Barnes and Noble or they may ask you to leave (I've seen it happen). Sometimes you can get the 16th st. mall wifi at BN, and Tattered Cover has it for free.
There is a 24 hour Starbucks in the Barnes and Noble on Colorado Blvd. I've never studied there but I worked at that BN and there were tons of students there every night.
So, that's my rundown of study spots. I live in New York now and have to say that I miss all the good Denver coffee shops. While Manhattan has some great stuff, the one coffee shop that is within walking distance of my apartment (I live in Morningside Heights), doesn't have tables, just a bar and stools.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:42 PM

Interesting. I called the Denver Public Library, they just instilled wifi in Jan. 2008. That's a good thing though. For years I'd go to every other library in the city and no problem. I would much rather study at Denver Public than Auraria.

As for bums, oh man I've been harrrassed many times. I've had drunken bums walk up to me, ask for change, one even asked where the party was! Upstairs, in the "quiet zone" you get teens on cell phones, bums laughing and snoring and farting, using computers for gaming. I was really outraged at that sort of thing. My beef was that this is not Barnes and Noble, this is a college library where I am paying a hefty fee to attend. As it's on campus, I think that more of an effort needs to be made to maintain the library and keep it a place of study.

Panera Bread encourages students to go there for study, and they don't require a purchase to use their wifi.

I totally agree: Forget about midterms and finals, Auraria library is packed!!!

Hey so can you tell me where you can print for free in the public library? I'm in school again and would much rather hang out there, they have so many hidden nooks and crannies and private study rooms. Thanks so much for that info.

So what are the libraries like in Manhattan? I've heard that the big libraries (like Denver's) are mainly restricted to western states. I wonder if that's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredmonster View Post
My favorite place on Cap. Hill would be either Gypsy House or Penn St. Perk.
All the DPL libraries now have wifi. Plus, the big downtown branch has study rooms upstairs AND there is a special computer lab where you can print for free that only folks with a student ID can use.
I went to school at Auraria and even worked in the library for a while and was never harassed by "bums". Yes, there are homeless people that hang out there but there are homeless people at Barnes and Noble and the public library and most coffee shops, too. It's good for quiet study upstairs but I often had trouble finding a seat, especially around mid terms and finals.
Another great place is The Market downtown - it's open until 11 on weeknights and they have great coffee. It's open even later on Friday and Saturday. And they have WiFi
Both Barnes and Noble and Tattered Cover can get really busy so it's loud and hard to find a seat. You have to buy something at the Starbucks at Barnes and Noble or they may ask you to leave (I've seen it happen). Sometimes you can get the 16th st. mall wifi at BN, and Tattered Cover has it for free.
There is a 24 hour Starbucks in the Barnes and Noble on Colorado Blvd. I've never studied there but I worked at that BN and there were tons of students there every night.
So, that's my rundown of study spots. I live in New York now and have to say that I miss all the good Denver coffee shops. While Manhattan has some great stuff, the one coffee shop that is within walking distance of my apartment (I live in Morningside Heights), doesn't have tables, just a bar and stools.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:09 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Stella's on S Pearl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: