Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:46 PM

220 posts, read 750,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMama View Post
Is there an area in Denver that has both older homes/character and good schools?
When you say good schools do you mean good public schools? If so, Denver public school would probably not be your first choice. IMHO, if you want to live in Denver you would be looking at private schools for your kids. I would be looking at Jefferson, Douglas, and Arapahoe Counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 07:56 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,199,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAriba View Post
When you say good schools do you mean good public schools? If so, Denver public school would probably not be your first choice. IMHO, if you want to live in Denver you would be looking at private schools for your kids. I would be looking at Jefferson, Douglas, and Arapahoe Counties.
Also Boulder County. Some of the Adams districts are quite good as well.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,136,977 times
Quote:
Wow. That's a fairly blanket statement.
What's the matter with Bromwell Elementary?
Both my kids went to this central Denver school and did very well indeed.

Greatschools Rating for Bromwell

Old 08-25-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Wow. That's a fairly blanket statement.
What's the matter with Bromwell Elementary?
Both my kids went to this central Denver school and did very well indeed.

Greatschools Rating for Bromwell
There are exceptions to everything. Also, that is in a highend neighborhood, North Cherry Creek. If Bromwell Elementary School eventually fed into South High School would you roll them at South? If not what Denver Public High School would you recommend? Again there are exceptions: the Denver magnet schools are good, CEC Middle College of Denver, Denver School of the Arts, and Denver Center for International Studies. But they are harder to get into and you will in all probability have to be bused.

Again, be informed visit the school, check the CSAP scores, and talk to the parents and teachers.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:42 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,494,317 times
There are plenty of good schools in DPS and plenty of bad schools in the boonies.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:18 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,136,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
There are plenty of good schools in DPS and plenty of bad schools in the boonies.
Yes.

Quote:
There are exceptions to everything. Also, that is in a highend neighborhood, North Cherry Creek. If Bromwell Elementary School eventually fed into South High School would you roll them at South? If not what Denver Public High School would you recommend? Again there are exceptions: the Denver magnet schools are good, CEC Middle College of Denver, Denver School of the Arts, and Denver Center for International Studies. But they are harder to get into and you will in all probability have to be bused.
The OP's price range can afford Bromwell's neighborhood. There are older homes, bike lanes and parks galore, and plenty of character.
Bromwell feeds into East, and I sent one of my kids there, the other one went to George Washington. Bromwell's middle school is Morey, and I did not send my kids there, they went to Hill and Place, respectively.
Since then, Morey has improved, and my brother sent his son there (He's now at East High).
But some of the other posters named some other good choices for neighborhoods.
People who believe in public schools usually spend time there (volunteering or whatever) and learn how to work the system (assertively if necessary).
I just think it is too bad that so many people automatically assume that if you live in central Denver, you *must* go the private school route.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:38 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,789,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMama View Post
We are considering relocating to Denver with two young children. Good schools are a top priority.
We like:
an urban atmosphere with character
older homes (1940's and older)
public transit, pedestrian and bike friendly
kid-friendly parks

Is there an area in Denver that has both older homes/character and good schools?
What's your definition of urban atmosphere with character? It sounds like something I may read from a nice real estate ad, but seems to me everyone has a different definition for that.

Maybe you would like a pre-planned urban town like Stapleton?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
CSAP tells a very different story! Just look at the 2008 CSAP proficiency rate for Reading, Writing, Mathematics, and Science. Name me a school district in the Denver metropolitan area with lower proficiency rates!

However, I will agree Denver public schools are improving thanks to the hard work of the teachers and superintendent Michael Bennet.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 AM

11,860 posts, read 34,573,630 times
"good" in "good schools" is entirely subjective.

What makes a school "good" to one person makes it bad for another.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,494,317 times
CSAP is a load of crap. The intentions are of course good, much like the no child left behind initiative, unfortunately in both cases when it came time to implement things went awry.
You are penalizing a district that has the largest percentage of non English speaking immigrants, a higher percentage of poverty and a much higher incidence of parents both working multiple jobs just to put food on the table.

To generalize and assume that every county school is better than every city school is inaccurate and dismisses the benefit of city schools where children are exposed to different socioeconomic groups and cultures.

Furthermore, DPS, while still incredibly top heavy in administration has improved. There are a number of primary schools that are very well ranked, as well as middle school highly gifted and talented programs that are showing promise and a series of well respected and rated high school programs, from the IB at George Washington through to the Science and Tech and Performing arts schools.

The reality as more parents are discovering is that you do not in fact have to move out from the city when you start having Children. Yet another nail in the coffin for Highlands Ranch resale values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver