Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:30 PM

16 posts, read 34,413 times

Advertisements

I'm a conservative Christian guy considering moving to Denver in the near future. Coming from Seattle I'm looking for more sun, more conservatives, lower cost of living, friendlier folks, Christian women, etc. I'm originally from Idaho, so Seattle has been quite a shock for me.

Could someone please provide their input as to whether this could be a good move as it relates to the above criteria? And what are the prospects for single, Christian women 25-35?

I'm also considering Nashville, Charlotte, and Dallas, so if you have any comments about those areas, please feel free to share!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 05:39 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Try Colorado Springs.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:41 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
There are some conservative Christians in Denver. I don't know if it's more than Seattle per capita or not.

Colorado Springs is a much smaller city than Denver but is perhaps proportionatley dense and has much to offer and is perhaps way more conservative.

When you say you're looking for Christian women from 25-35, just how many did you have in mind? You're mainly looking for one good one, right? I'm not being smart-aleck here. I'm far removed from the dating scene.

I would think that Dallas, Nashville, or Charlotte are much more "Bible-belt" if that's your aim.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:42 PM

351 posts, read 649,580 times
Dude, I think Denver would be a very good fit for you. Colorado Springs wouldn't be a bad bet, either. The great thing about Denver is that it's a young, vibrant, outdoorsy, clean city--just like Seattle. Except Denver also has a very strong evangelical community, many wonderful churches, and a much more conservative sentiment. I grew up in Denver and lived in the Pacific Northwest for a year and I was completely floored by how different the two areas seemed to me.

As you prolly know, being 32 and single is a little tough in the church. That's the case whether you're in Seattle, Denver, Dallas, or any other city. Denver has a very Mars Hill-y quality to it, however. There are lots of new believers who received Christ in college or whatever and are doing a career now. If you get involved in a good church with small groups, you'll do fine. There are lots of great (single) Christian women in Denver.

If you have a specific area you're looking at, I can recommend some good churches. Oh....and Denver's a lot sunnier than Seattle and I think you'll really like it.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:45 PM

Nashville is also a great city. It's a lot like Colorado Springs with major evangelical organizations in town. And the Christian music industry is hubbed there so you've naturally got a lot of younger Christians chillin' there.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:14 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
I grew up in Denver and lived in the Pacific Northwest for a year and I was completely floored by how different the two areas seemed to me.
How different? Is Seattle same as Boulder, more left/worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsmyth View Post
I'm a conservative Christian guy considering moving to Denver in the near future.
Ok.

Quote:
I'm Coming from Seattle I'm looking for more sun, more conservatives, lower cost of living, friendlier folks, Christian women, etc.
I have never been to the Pacific NW. No friendlier folks, Christian women there? I thought that was "god's country" up there? Yes, no? What gives?

Quote:
I'm originally from Idaho, so Seattle has been quite a shock for me.
What shock? Perhaps Seattle is like Boulder (I sense)?

Quote:
Could someone please provide their input as to whether this could be a good move as it relates to the above criteria? And what are the prospects for single, Christian women 25-35?.
Forget Boulder. I think metro Denver and perhaps CS may be OK for you.

Quote:
I'm also considering Nashville, Charlotte, and Dallas, so if you have any comments about those areas, please feel free to share!!
For the time I was in CO I met many TX transplants at church. Charlotte, NC is becoming over-run and over-populated by northeastern "white flight" running from high taxes, high real estate prices, crime infested cities, and very corrupt, very liberal local/state governments they are fleeing from in the northeast US (e.g. NY, NJ). Charlotte may have seen better days in yesteryears. Just proceede w/caution for NC. Do check out Denver and CS. I am sure you will find a quality, ex-TX Christian woman in CO.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:59 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,716,788 times
Denver is not for you. C. Spgs or the other, southern places you mentioned would be better. Or maybe the burbs anywhere in U.S. But not the City and County of Denver.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Denver is not for you. C. Spgs or the other, southern places you mentioned would be better. Or maybe the burbs anywhere in U.S. But not the City and County of Denver.
I disagree 100% w/you. Denver isn't Boulder. It may not be CS but there are Christians in metro Denver (incl: Lakewood/Arvada/Wheat Ridge/Littleton) and OP will meet them. There's tons of resources online for the OP w.r.t. Denver area.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:28 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
I also must disagree. While the City and County of Denver is not very conservative, relatively speaking, people run the gamut here. I find Denver (the city and county of...) a very welcoming place. Yes, it's a welcoming place that happens to lean a bit to the left, but that doesn't mean that there there isn't room for everyone here.

As for churches, there are many, even right here in Denver. People of all political stripes from right to left attend church in Denver (or not, according to their preferences). It's probably true that the churches in suburban metro Denver (or Colorado Springs) are more numerous and larger, but that's only because the families with kids that live in the suburbs tend to be at a point in their lives where they show more interest in going to church regularly.

To the OP: I think you'll do fine in Denver, and you'll find many like-minded people here. That said, south suburban metro Denver and Colorado Springs are both probably more churchgoing and family-oriented than Denver itself. Of course, the southern states will be much more churchgoing even than Colorado Springs (which, despite its reputation, is NOT really Bible belt territory).

Old 08-22-2008, 08:17 PM

Many of the professors at the very evangelical Denver Seminary live and attend church in the city of Denver. In fact, there is a tremendous amount of (conservative) church planting going on within the city and county. Granted, it is easily the most liberal and perhaps secular part of the metro area (although with Latino immigration the Catholic Church has grown stronger in Denver), but as TFox mentioned, there are plenty of great churches full of great Christian girls even in the city.

The southern suburbs most definitely have the bulwark of Denver's evangelical community and some of the best churches. But any part of the metro area will yield welcoming, committed, Christ-loving churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver