Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite street in Denver
16th St (mall) 12 19.05%
Colfax Ave 14 22.22%
Federal Blvd 3 4.76%
Broadway 7 11.11%
Parker Rd/Leetsdale Dr 2 3.17%
1st Ave/2nd Ave/3rd Ave (Cherry Creek North) 3 4.76%
Pearl St (the one in south Denver, not the one in Boulder) 3 4.76%
Blake St/ Market St/ Wazee/ Wynkoop (LoDo) 2 3.17%
University Blvd (Bonnie Brae, DU area) 4 6.35%
Colorado Blvd 3 4.76%
Santa Fe Dr (specifically the area with the art galleries) 0 0%
Other (write in) 10 15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:34 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,322,549 times

Advertisements

A recent thread where I started talking about interesting and diverse streets in Denver to explore leads me to open up a poll question-- what's your favorite street in the core Denver metro area (specifically excluding Boulder)? Choose your favorite, say why, and feel free to write in one if I didn't mention your favorite.

I voted for Parker/Leetsdale. It's not pedestrian friendly at all (although you'll still find people walking along the sidewalk and tons of people riding the 83 route bus), and it's kind of ugly, but I think it contains the most interesting and diverse set of businesses that Denver has to offer. I think this is clearly the most "cosmopolitan" street in Denver, and probably all of Colorado. At the same time, it hasn't forgotten its down home all American roots, with numerous long standing bar and grill places, my favorite being the Emerald Isle.

In terms of walkable commercial districts great for people watching, I like Pearl St. Stella's is an awesome coffee shop, and I have not yet found one better in Denver. After that I like the DU area. 16th street mall feels kind of touristy and phoney to me, too many starbucks, but it's great for people watching.

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 07-25-2008 at 07:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
I had a hard time choosing between Univ. Blvd and Pearl St., but eventually went with Pearl. It's just a neat place, if a little "yuppified".

Old 07-25-2008, 08:26 PM

792 posts, read 3,139,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I voted for Parker/Leetsdale. It's not pedestrian friendly at all (although you'll still find people walking along the sidewalk and tons of people riding the 83 route bus), and it's kind of ugly, but I think it contains the most interesting and diverse set of businesses that Denver has to offer. I think this is clearly the most "cosmopolitan" street in Denver, and probably all of Colorado. At the same time, it hasn't forgotten its down home all American roots, with numerous long standing bar and grill places, my favorite being the Emerald Isle.
In your poll I voted Blake St/ Market St/ Wazee/ Wynkoop (LoDo) because of the Microbrews.

What are the traffic patterns like on Parker/Leetsdale going SE in the AM (and reverse in PM)? Is traffic brtual going toward Arapahoe Road and the CAP? I had meant to ask this in the thread I initiated (i.e. comeback). Thanks.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:55 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,963,103 times
Vegas, no 6th Ave Pkwy or Monaco Pkwy? I know there's nothing in the way of businesses or diversity on these streets but I always enjoy a lazy drive down these streets under the trees.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:44 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,322,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
In your poll I voted Blake St/ Market St/ Wazee/ Wynkoop (LoDo) because of the Microbrews.
I'm in agreement there. Wynkoop Brewery is one of my favorites. It's going to be one of my first stops when I get back in town.

Quote:
What are the traffic patterns like on Parker/Leetsdale going SE in the AM (and reverse in PM)? Is traffic brtual going toward Arapahoe Road and the CAP? I had meant to ask this in the thread I initiated (i.e. comeback). Thanks.
I don't know to tell you the truth, because almost every time I've been on that road its been going the other direction than what you're planning on doing. Leetsdale from Alameda to Quebec is usually VERY backed up during rush hours. After Quebec traffic starts flowing pretty smoothly until you get to I-225, then it slows down a bit until you pass Quincy. Although as much traffic as there is, it's an abosolute cakewalk compared to how congested it was before they rebuilt the Parker Rd/I-225 interchange. If you're living in Denver though and working at Centennial Airport area, I'm not sure if taking Parker Rd is the best way. The Parker/Arapahoe intersection and Arapahoe Rd between Parker and Revere/Peoria gets extremely backed up during rush hours (a lot of people work in the the south metro office parks but live in Aurora). It would be a reverse commute until you start approaching Arapahoe Rd, but whether or not it would save time over taking I-25 I'm not sure. A local's shortcut I know about (shhh... keep quiet about this one) is go down Monaco or Quebec (which turns into Tamarac Dr and then DTC Pkwy) to Belleview, then go south on Peoria. Although Belleview itself gets extremely backed up during rush hours since it's basically the heart of the Denver Tech Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Vegas, no 6th Ave Pkwy or Monaco Pkwy? I know there's nothing in the way of businesses or diversity on these streets but I always enjoy a lazy drive down these streets under the trees.
Those are definitely attractive tree lined streets, but my poll was pretty much limited to commercial streets; otherwise I'd have to include practically every street in the city.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:23 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,091,563 times
17th Street downtown is my favorite followed by Speer.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:47 AM

195 posts, read 794,679 times
Default Broadway

It's just so colorful, and there is always something new to look at. Love the kitchyness of it. Is that a word?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:44 AM

275 posts, read 1,472,130 times
^^ I will go with Broadway also. It is a close call for me between Broadway, Colfax and South Pearl though. I live within walking distance of both Broadway and S Pearl and they are totally different which is cool. The scale of S Pearl is great in terms of the street width and pedestrian scale... just wish the commercial/restaurant/retail component was about twice as long as it is.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:20 AM

11,833 posts, read 34,460,220 times
I like the shops on Gaylord - just off uni.

But how do you choose when Broadway,Colfax Federal & Colorado are the the whole street - how do you not just choose Colfax - just for the the variety?

Old 07-26-2008, 04:42 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,411,820 times
I also picked Broadway. However, since I live on the west side--I would add other great streets:

West Colfax---has that very old feeling of Denver that is disappearing with the small motels and unique restaurants.

West 38th----now this is good street with the Hispanic/Italian mix with bakeries, sausage places, tacos, tamales and they get into Wheat Ridge with the interesting small shops. You can go all the way into the nice area of Applewood.

South Federal just past Alameda--what else but good diverse Asian food, nice shopping--you can even imagine you are in Asia with the smells and the lanquages.

Tennyson Street in Berkeley--a gentrified neighborhood but with some old establish shops still there; goes south to the nice redevelopment of Elitch's; goes north passed Berkeley Lake and Case Golf Course. This is where I hang out as it is down the road where I live.

West 32nd in Highlands--what can I say--beautiful exciting, bookstores, restaurants and people all out and about.

Old Wadsworth in Arvada--now this is an authentic old town, not some recreated new urbanism. Old Bars, bakeries, restaurants, libraries, churches, parks; you can spend a day in going to all the antique shops. Another one of my favorite hangouts.

Ah, with all these choices I certainly can
Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver