Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Denver: office assistant, skiing, European charm, beautiful views, job market, renting, suburbs

Old 01-14-2007, 09:17 AM

135 posts, read 437,709 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I hope there are people here from Denver and surroundings, who can help me a little bit with my decision. I live in CT -work as an office assistant,my husband is a carpenter. We are thinking about moving somewhere where real estate prices arent as ridiculous as here. Our first choice is Charlotte, and surroundings and second one Denver, Colorado. The thing about Denver is that we both LOVE skiing, and so it could be a great place for us
. I've heard many great things about Denver- that it has this European charm, beautiful views etc. Never went there though.But I'm curious about job market here.
Could anyone advise where to start? First find a job,then go, or rent something and then move? What parts of Denver are "good" -safe? Does anyone know if there are many Polish? Unemployment levels, schools, crime levels?
What place would you choose Charlotte-Denver, if you had that choice
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks so much,
Magdalena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 09:55 AM

40 posts, read 204,201 times
Hello,

Denver is a great city! We absolutely love it here!! Charlotte is also a great city, my brother lives there and he loves it! It's hard to determine which is better, alot of it depends on your personal preference. Weather wise, Charlotte has milder winters (although the winters in Denver are generally fairly mild). On the flip side, Charlotte is hot and humid in the summer and Denver is more comfortable. Both of the cities are similar in size. One advantage of Denver is our proximity to the mountains- if you love skiing, this is the city for you! Charlotte however, is closer to the ocean. Cost of living is similar, Charlotte may be a little bit lower.

I would start looking jobs before you come so that you can be fairly certain that you'll be employed easily. It's always advisable to rent for a year so that you can familiarize yourself with the area before buying a house. To be honest, I'm not really sure if there is a high Polish population here or not. As far as safe areas, the city as a whole is fairly safe but certain areas are better than others. The southern, western and northwestern suburbs are good areas to live in. We live in Arvada and have found the area remarkably safe.

If I had to choose between Denver or Charlotte, I would have a difficult time because they're both great places! I would probably choose Denver but I have a slight bias The best thing to do is to fly out to both places and rent a car and get a feel for each city. Then you can determine which place is the best fit for you. Good luck, I think you'll be really happy in either place!

Old 01-14-2007, 10:07 AM

135 posts, read 437,709 times
Thanks so much! I thought that Denver is much bigger that Charlotte though.
I think it's a good idea to go to both places and decide. I think I'm more to Denver anyway because of the mountains and snow.
Thanks again,
Magdalena1

Old 01-14-2007, 10:29 AM

210 posts, read 1,345,731 times
I think that's a good idea to just check both cities out and see which you feel is better for you.... I just want to note, though, that the Denver metro area is somewhat bigger than the Charlotte metro area-- the Denver metro area has a population of 2.4 million, the Charlotte metro area is 1.5 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: