Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:22 AM

3 posts, read 13,519 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating there in about a month or so and school will be starting very quickly so we need to decide which school district to settle in. My kids are 16, 15 and 11 so we will only be looking for middle schools and high schools. Are there other high schools that are good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 07:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
I wish I had time to fully answer this right now, but alas, work is interfering with my City-Data life! Yes, there are lots of good high schools here. Lots of people will chime in with their opinions, so weigh each carefully. My kids graduated from Monarch High School in Louisville, part of the Boulder Valley School District. Where will you be working? That will be the big determinate about where you locate, e.g. N, S, E, or W. Then you can take it from there.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:43 AM

14 posts, read 29,186 times
You may also want to check out this list for ideas on top ranked schools in the area. Filter on Colorado.

America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

Old 06-26-2008, 07:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,049,850 times
As Katiana says, look at where you will be working, and try to add that into your decision.
Much as been posted here about Denver public schools. (And parochial. And private...)
Use your "Search" button at the top of your City Data screen.
I had one kid graduate from George Washington, while my younger one (and I) attended East High.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 13,519 times
My husband's job would be in Aurora so we'd like to settle close to there. I will check out the link you gave MileHi. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,061,141 times
You might want to consider how well your kids do in LARGE schools. As transplants, your children will not belong to the "school within a school" that comes with attending lower grades in the district. Some kids find their niches quickly, while others flounder trying to find their places. The academics can be great, as they apparently are at Cherry Creek, but if your kids will be overwhelmed by the size of the community, it won't matter. If smaller would be better for your family, D'Evelyn Junior/Senior High School frequently comes up in conversations about great Denver Metro schools. On the flipside, large schools like Cherry Creek offer lots of extra-curricular activities that smaller schools can't even dream of offering, so if your kids are football stars, musical prodigies, or chess champions, a large school may be just the place for them. My suggestion is to make a list of all the schools that interest you and then make an appointment to visit each one with your kids before you make your final decision.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 06-26-2008 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Added link

Old 06-26-2008, 12:21 PM

11,834 posts, read 34,465,367 times
Cherry Creek school district is considered one of the best in the metro area - what specifically make a school good is personal to you - and the kids.

What is important to you in a school? What interests do your kids have?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:27 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,726,396 times
Is it the money (from the parents living in the area) that makes Cherry Creek so good? Katiana, answer whenever your annoying work is done. hahaha

Old 06-26-2008, 12:29 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,777,818 times
You may want to look into Douglas county schools as well. In our research, the douglas county schools(in highlands ranch and parker) are every bit as good as cherry creek schools and overall(when you take every school into account) rate higher as far as performance numbers go from the data we went off of. houses there are also more affordable(better $/sqft)

Old 06-26-2008, 12:31 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,726,396 times
this is interesting. You just mentioned two other Denver areas that are rumored to contain wealthy people. Although housing prices do differ. I think that might be because Cherry Creek is very central, unlike Highlands Ranch or Parker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver