Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2007, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 11,767 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I'm a hoosier girl in my mid-twenties looking to move to Denver next year with my husband (we're getting married this June). We currently work in Louisville, KY, and we're ready for a major change, expecially after I visited Denver last Christmas (we're also visiting Colorado as part of our honeymoon).

Louisville, while it's a nice place to raise a family, does not offer many options for those seeking a more active lifestyle. Most people here seem to never leave their houses (or they just go to the mall), nor seem to have any desire to. I belong to a young professionals group, and I suggested rather than meeting at a bar, that we take a ski trip or go white water rafting...the group looked at me like I was insane. In fact, people here actually "cruise" through one of our major city parks, rather than walk, run or bike. This could be why Kentucky has been ranked one of the most unhealthiest states. Ok, enough with my rant.

Anyways, my fiance and I love the outdoors...we love to hike, camp, ski, go rafting...you name it, we do it (or at least we'd try). But we also like to be near the city to enjoy the arts, shopping, restaurants....and good jobs.

We're more of the quiet suburban types, and I wondered if anyone could give us some advice on nice suburbs (clean, low crime, affordable apartments in the $500-$800 range, nice parks) that aren't very far from Denver (maybe 20-45 mins. or less). Also, could you tell me what parts of town have high crime and are best to stay away from. I found myself in some sketchy parts last time thanks to MapQuest.

And how is the job market out there? He's in the IT industry and I'm a Marketing Director. So we'd also be looking for jobs in those fields. I might head back to the Non-profit world, so if anyone has any tips on finding a good non-profit marketing/communication job...I'm all ears.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Last edited by gel212; 01-06-2007 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: wanted to add a few things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 03:27 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
You're gonna love Colorado. Tons here to choose from. Whole area is growing, lots of jobs. Lots to do.

CO has the nation's healthiest population....not too many "all you can eat" places here (like back east where we're from) full of obese people going for plateful after plateful of so-so food .... and a plateful of desserts.

I'm hoping you've read most of the threads here. Lots of info in them, prefer that people do that first, keeps us from answering the same questions over and over....everyone wants nice area, good schools, low crime.... If you do that first, you're questions will be much more focused on what matters most to you, and gets you the answers you need quicker.

I know there's info here on young and/or single lifestyles, downtown living or close-in areas, short light-rail rides to/from that sort of thing, etc. Use the Search this Forum tool at top....the Search function is very specific....if you put in schools it will find every case of schools, but it will NOT find the singular version school. It won't find word segments either, you can put in camp, and it will find camp, but it won't find the word camping.

Try the search engine with keywords like hike, hiking, camp, camping, skiing, snow, sports, museums, arts, food, restaurants, cuisine, winter, marketing, jobs, rail, train, pizza, chinese, italian, dogs, pets, commute, commuting, school, schools, education, teaching, Douglas, Arapahoe, and the names of specific towns or areas.... etc....

Even after doing this, most people are still well-advised to rent here for a year, scout the area hard, often and well, then after a year go ahead and make the huge financial decision of where to invest your money in a home and yourselves in a job....

Old 01-06-2007, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 11,767 times
That's so funny that you mentioned the "all you can eat buffets." They are everywhere here!

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out those searches. Seems like everyone keeps saying, Littleton, CO. I'll have to check into it.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: