Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 6,273 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. We're finally leaving Texas. My husband is a native Texan. I've lived all over, but I consider the Black Hills home. We've been traveling to the Evergreen/Conifer area for years, but my husband's job security is the thing that kept us here. That's no longer a concern and we've decided it's time to surround ourselves with the beauty of nature. Just being near the mountains makes my soul happy.

We knew Evergreen would likely be more expensive and we'd end up with less house. This isn't a deterrent; however, when we took to the boards and saw transplants posting about how they soon realized that their lives were "down the hill" and they regretted the move to the foothills, it gave us a lot to consider.

We're both 40 with 2 elementary-age children. If it was just us, it would be a no-brainer, but I worry about my kids' experiences. I've seen reviews of the schools that would indicate they're full of bullies and the administration is overly-influenced by the wealthy residents (of which there are many). I've seen posts about extreme inequities and rampant racism. I've seen fewer posts about how well-adjusted Evergreen children are, but we all know people are quick to post about the negatives. Also, in our limited interactions with the locals, we haven't experienced any of that, but I understand the experience of a tourist is very different. As a minority woman raised below the poverty line in a lily-white, rural mid-west town, I'm acutely aware of the impact that sort of environment would have on my kids, and we're doing everything we can to not raise a-holes.

I'm posting here in the hopes of receiving some real, candid opinions about the Evergreen schools and what sort of upbringing my children might have. As it stands, we've pivoted and are now searching the Morrison and Littleton areas because there are more options when it comes to schools, housing, and things to do that might take us "down the hill", but admittedly it does feel a bit like we're settling if we choose the front range over the foothills.

Because I know you'll ask, some of the other things we've considered are:

- commute time: not an issue. My husband currently commutes over an hour to Dallas from a rural area.

- fire: according to the maps, Evergreen is lower risk than, say, Conifer. There also appears to be more ways out in an emergency, unlike the 285 out of Conifer. So, that doesn't really worry us.

- insurance: already a huge expense here in TX, coupled with crazy property taxes. We bought our house for $425k and our property taxes are $9k/year.

TYIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2023, 09:06 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,337,164 times
I’m sorry but I can’t really answer those questions about the schools as I don’t have kids, but just another thought — if jobs aren’t a consideration, would you be open to other parts of Colorado? Like for example, somewhere like Woodland Park? Or is being near Denver something that you specifically want?

Was also going to mention that I’ve heard home insurance is very expensive in that area, but you’ve got that point covered already.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 6,273 times
My husband is a commercial contractor so the larger metro is a better market for him, which is why we decided to stay closer to Denver as opposed to Fort Collins or Colorado Springs.

Old 01-25-2023, 11:39 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
The foothills are part of the Front Range, as are the higher foothills and “real mountains” beyond Evergreen. Evergreen is an expensive bedroom suburb/exurb of Denver. Has been for a very long time. Life will indeed be mostly “down the hill” even from there if you or spouse work or have children.

It partly depends on what amenities you want. Evergreen won’t lack for any basic things. Just expect that you will be doing a lot of driving on roads that get more snow and ice than the closer burbs of Denver, and it won’t be flat driving.

Old 01-25-2023, 12:22 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,048,180 times
Take a look at Ken Caryl Ranch. It is pretty with some nice trees. I think it would be a nice place to grow up. Sort of half way between the Denver suburbs experience and Evergreen due to their trail system, equestrian center, activities etc. You are down the hill and can likely get out in case of a fire.

https://ken-carylranch.org/

Old 01-26-2023, 05:11 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victresslex View Post
...... We bought our house for $425k and our property taxes are $9k/year.......
ALL states that do not have an income tax have very high property and sales taxes to make up for the lost revenue.

You have to take all taxes into account when moving to a new area.

Property (including automobile) insurance is very expensive in CO. due to the terrible hail we get here- be prepared for that also.

Here is a good video showing the different areas of Evergreen: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FN8sGq190oI#menu

Last edited by LHS79; 01-26-2023 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: new video

Old 01-26-2023, 10:19 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
ALL states that do not have an income tax have very high property and sales taxes to make up for the lost revenue.

You have to take all taxes into account when moving to a new area.

Property (including automobile) insurance is very expensive in CO. due to the terrible hail we get here- be prepared for that also.

Here is a good video showing the different areas of Evergreen: []
All true. Auto registration, never cheap, also became expensive.

The big home insurance factor in the foothills is the very high fire risk. As last year’s fire on the nonforested areas (Marshall) showed, brush fire is also dangerous. Mandatory evacuation is horrible enough, but actually losing a home to fire...think about what drought means besides higher water cost or use restrictions.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:08 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Schools.
Evergreen is in 2 counties: Jefferson or Clear Creek.

Old 01-26-2023, 01:44 PM

405 posts, read 448,909 times
FWIW, I know a white/Filipino family that has birth and adoptive (Filipino) children, they live in Evergreen. Kids attend local public schools. They say they have not experienced any meaningful racism.

Old 01-26-2023, 03:46 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,114 times
Things I like about Evergreen:
1. It really is beautiful and even after being here for eight years, I will still stop and take notice.
2. Tons of outdoor activities. Mountain Biking, hiking, climbing etc.
3. Compared to Conifer, Evergreen has a downtown community area, the lake house and very good rec centers.
The rec centers are great if you need a place for your kids to go immediately after school.
4. It's very quiet. No planes, trains, interstate noises, sirens etc.
5. Fairly good schools for JeffCo. Evergreen HS is 16th in the state this year. per USNEWS.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...gh-school-4207

Things that suck a little.
1. We have 3 large chain grocery stores plus a Walmart and a Home Depot - that's about it.
Everything else is down the hill. I back up to Alderfers and can still make Denver West in 30 min or less.
2. It is a wealthy community and sometimes that's a little obnoxious. My daughter is a senior at EHS, and I've
never seen so many Tesla's, Land Rovers and Beemers in a HS parking lot.
3. After the summer crowds go home - Winter can be very Isolating.
4. Fire is a real concern but some areas are more defendable than others. I back up to open space which is
higher risk. Other areas like Bergan park are fairly safe.
5. You will need to purchase a snowblower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver