Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:56 PM

4 posts, read 29,726 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to Denver with my husband and toddler and I would love to get some input about neighborhoods. We are going to rent and our budget is up to $1500/month. I would like an area that has many amenities that can be walked to, such as parks, grocery stores, and shopping. I would also like an area with some character. Most important though is safety. My husband is away a lot so I need to feel safe at home and in the neighborhood. Some areas I am looking into are Parker, Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch, Washington Park, Cherry Creek, and Park Hill. Am I on the right track?? Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 01:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I think you will find all those areas safe. Some are more/less walkable than others. You're all over the place in terms of location. Try looking in the index. There are threads about all of those places, sometimes multiple, multiple threads.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:48 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,035 times
Park Hill, Washington Park, and Cherry Creek are all Denver city neighborhoods, the latter two being pretty high end. Highlands Ranch, Parker, and Castle Rock are all suburban areas in Douglas County (Highlands Ranch being the "closest in" and most suburban -- Castle Rock is more exurban than suburban.) Sounds to me like you might need to do some more research, because comparing an exurban area like Castle Rock with city 'hoods like Washington Park or Park Hill is pretty much apples and oranges, it's hard to compare them.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:07 AM

4 posts, read 29,726 times
You're right, I am all over the place. I really would like to live in Denver, the one thing that is making me look at those other areas is I will be alone a lot with my young son and I want to feel really safe. So, I guess a better question would be which urban areas are the safest? And would I be able to find something with a small yard for $1500 (I have 2 dogs)? I have been looking on Craigslist, and all I can find is condos in that price range. Thank you!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
The city neighborhoods you are interested in are all safe. I don't know what rents are in those areas; Cherry Creek is probably about out of the question. My nephew rented a duplex in Wash Park. I don't know what he paid, but I can't imagine it was over $1500, just knowing him. It had a small yard.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:29 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,035 times
You won't have any problem in those areas at all. Washington Park is 100% gentrified so it basically already has very low level of crime -- pretty much like living in the 'burbs as far as crime is concerned. Park Hill is a very diverse neighborhood, so the southern part of it (from about 16th Ave to about 23rd Ave) is similar to Wash Park, but as you get further north it's lower income -- you probably don't want any further than about 23rd or 26th at the most. As for Cherry Creek, I'm not a fan of the area, way too expensive and foo-foo but safety is likely not an issue.

Frankly, anywhere in Denver in the southeast part of the city (including Central Denver) is going to be fine; most 'hoods there have always been fine even before gentrificiation. The higher crime areas have traditionally been northeast Denver (think the part near I-70, except for Stapleton which is fine), and southwest Denver (think near Morrison Road and Federal), though even many of those areas are improving. NW Denver (aka the Highlands) has gentrified away most of its problems, so there's really no significant crime problems there either, but the schools are not YET as good in NW Denver as they are in Central and SE Denver.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:35 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,762 times
Park Hill is a really big hood - You will be fine anywhere south of 23rd. Some areas north of 23rd are still really nice, but it can be patchy.

I would also like to throw out my neighborhood - Mayfair. For $1500 you should be able to get more home than Park Hill, Cherry Creek or Wash Park and it is just as safe. My wife often goes jogging at night by herself and hasn't had even a scare. The neighborhood is in 80220 bounded by 6th, Colorado, Colfax, and Monaco. Other neighborhoods to consider are Montclair and Stapleton.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:40 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Check out Platt Park. It is on the lightrail, has lots of character, shops, a nice park and playground. It's similair to the Wash Park neighborhood but not as expensive. It's a safe area. I'd also look into Harvard Gulch which has a really nice big park, a rec center with a pool and is close to DU.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 AM

182 posts, read 668,557 times
I don't think you can find a house in Wash Park or Cherry Creek with your rental budget. Certainly you could find a nice apartment in Wash Park. I wonder if Virginia Village could work for you? You can walk easily to Whole Foods and all of that jazz on Colorado Blvd. and there is an easy path to Cherry Creek.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:27 PM

53 posts, read 227,203 times
There was recently a 2bd 1bth 1200 sq/ft house for rent in Wash Park (great street - 1 blk off the park) for rent at $1650/month. Of course it went quickly (like a week) but deals can be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver