Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2021, 04:51 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times

Advertisements

Internet mention of a Johnny Long concert in 2019: https://swallowhillmusic.org/event/h...d-johnny-long/

Also an orchestra leader by same name who died in 70s. Maybe his father?

Could the 2019 concert be by the son of the guy you saw? I dunno. Only clue I found besides a mention of playing a festival in Silver City NM. You might find more if you care to pursue it via the Swallow Hill Music staff at that site I linked.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-08-2021 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 01:33 PM

43 posts, read 71,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaster43 View Post
Does anyone recall a small teahouse on E. 17th or E. 18th Ave. in the capitol hill area of Denver, that served vegetarian sandwiches and herbal teas back in the late 1970's, and did play or pay for live entertainment artists? I frequented the place in the summer of 1977 and saw Johnny Long play there, as well as a small acoustic jazz band and others. In the daytime, I'd play chess there as well, and there would occasionally be jam sessions held out back of the place. I'm trying to remember the name of the place. At that time, it had formerly been known as "The Bare Tit", but I'm looking for the name it had after that and an address, to add to my memoirs. If there are any photos of it, that would also be greatly appreciated.
I also later ran across Johnny Long nearby at the Guitar Center on East Colfax Ave. where I was paying down the layaway on my electric guitar or my Roland SH5 synthesizer and he was trying out what i think was either a 7 string or 8 string guitar. He was simply amazing, playing lead, rhythm and bass lines simultaneously. I don't know what became of him, but I hope it worked out to the best of his desire.

Mercury Street Cafe had shows and tea and all sorts of vegan stuff - Johnny Long played there. And a lot of punk and other crazy bands. I remember seeing Dead Kennedys, and X play there and Roy Buchannan - it was at 13th and Pearl.

Marilyn Megenity belongs on any Mt Rushmore of Denver residents in my opinion.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:41 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPioneers View Post
Mercury Street Cafe had shows and tea and all sorts of vegan stuff - Johnny Long played there. And a lot of punk and other crazy bands. I remember seeing Dead Kennedys, and X play there and Roy Buchannan - it was at 13th and Pearl.

Marilyn Megenity belongs on any Mt Rushmore of Denver residents in my opinion.
The Mercury Cafe still lives on at 22nd & California.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:25 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
The Merc had an awesome dance scene when I lived there. Didn't care much for the food.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:47 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
The Merc. ...Didn't care much for the food.
That is interesting. In 1982, we used to walk there for the breakfast dining.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:44 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
I didn't like their entrees, but I did like their gluten-free desserts.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ndog View Post
I'm looking for info about and especially photos of Straight Johnson's Pizza which was located at the corner of S. Pearl and E. Exposition, a few blocks west of Washington Park, in the late 60s and early 70s.

I'm including a scene at Straight Johnson's in a movie script I'm writing and photos would be very useful for the eventual movie as my own memory is rather dim. I remember they had a beautiful ceiling with stars and a moon lit by black-lights but that's about all I remember. (Could it be something I smoked??)

I would be most grateful for any help with this project.

Jay
Baja California

P.S. This is not the Straight Johnson's Blues Bar that was located on Broadway in the 80s but they may have been connected so any info about that place is also welcome.
I used to hang out there. You are correct about the ceiling. How cool it was. Barry Fey used to bring bands there to eat, after their concerts. My best friend's sister worked there as a waitress. The building is now occupied by Listen Up Audio.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-11-2021 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Added the quoted material so this 3 year old thread will track back.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,075 times
I lived in Denver from 1972-1982. Anyone remember the clubs, Rosie Bottoms, Bogarts, The Turn of the Century, and Doc Weeds? I was a DJ at all of those clubs. I started playing oldies at Doc Weeds, then disco at The Turn. I loved Rosie Bottoms, so I DJ’d there in 1978. Then, I DJ’d at Bogarts for awhile. After that, I decided to start my own mobile DJ business. I called it Moby Disc, and specialized in New Wave. Played at Wallaby’s, Straight Johnson’s, The University of What, The 94th Aero Squadron,and a couple of other places I can’t remember. Those were the days my friend, we thought they’d never end. But they did.....sigh.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,938 times
Worked at Mom's place in 1980 when my sister and I stayed briefly with the Bellino's on Marshall Street. I can't remember the address for Mom's place, if someone might know (of course, when you're young you don't pay attention to stuff like that), or if someone knows what houses it now, or even if it still standing.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 10,155 times
Default Doc Weeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyNightshade View Post
I lived in Denver from 1972-1982. Anyone remember the clubs, Rosie Bottoms, Bogarts, The Turn of the Century, and Doc Weeds? I was a DJ at all of those clubs. I started playing oldies at Doc Weeds, then disco at The Turn. I loved Rosie Bottoms, so I DJ’d there in 1978. Then, I DJ’d at Bogarts for awhile. After that, I decided to start my own mobile DJ business. I called it Moby Disc, and specialized in New Wave. Played at Wallaby’s, Straight Johnson’s, The University of What, The 94th Aero Squadron,and a couple of other places I can’t remember. Those were the days my friend, we thought they’d never end. But they did.....sigh.

Gee - must have seen you at Doc Weeds in the mid-seventies. Remember Shady Lady? Vivo? We worked at the adjacent Central Bank and were there every night while the traffic cleared out. Lots of pitchers of beer, free food and a bachelor's delight. Never cooked during the week while at Doc Weeds. Bogarts, yes. I remember Packard's and place right next to it (joined). Walk over from one to the other. The 1970's - - what a glorious time to be in Denver. There was a huge, dirt parking lot to the North of the Bank. All condos now. In fact, that parking lot was gone after 1978, I believe. All the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver