Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 02:53 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity666 View Post
I was at that Runaways gig. Couldn't remember if it was Ebbets or at Herman's Hideaway. So it was Ebbets. Can't remember the year though.
Went to Ebbetts to see the Runaways and later that night went to the Auditorium to see Bread (with the opening act called Jelli) and the Runaways were there as well....

This had to be either 75 or 76....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 02:59 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,692 times
How about Richtofen castle? It was located in Montclair area.....

Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 PM

2,887 posts, read 7,137,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
How about Richtofen castle? It was located in Montclair area.....
It's still here, hasn't moved. It's also been in the news in the last few weeks:

Denver's historic Richthofen Castle under contract for sale

Quote:
The Richthofen Castle, an iconic relic of Denver history, is under contract for sale.

The 125-year-old turreted mansion in east Denver's Montclair neighborhood is scheduled to change hands next month at a price of close to $3.75 million.

If the deal closes, it will mark the end of 14 years of on-and-off-again efforts to sell the 35-room estate that was built by the uncle of Baron Manfred von Richthofen, better known as the Red Baron flying ace of World War I.

Baron Walter von Richthofen, a Prussian immigrant turned Colorado mining baron, conceived the idea for the limestone castle in the 1870s and finished it in 1887. He planned — unsuccessfully, as it turned out — to have it serve as the catalyst for an
The breakfast room of Richthofen Castle (THE DENVER POST | Hyoung Chang)
upscale residential development in what was then a dusty prairie five miles east of downtown Denver.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cher&cindy View Post
Was it Mr Lucky's?

I think it was probably the Paramount. 1621 Glenarm Pl., Denver. Opened in 1930 and is still going strong. Paramount Theatre - Paramount Theatre

Old 05-24-2012, 12:47 AM

13 posts, read 53,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Yea, nana56--I remember just about all of that about Denver. "That" Denver--the one I knew--doesn't exist anymore. Too bad that what replaced it really sucks for the most part, in my opinion. I remember the fire on Mt. Evans quite well. Turned Denver sunsets orange for days. It was in the early 1960's--1961 or 1962 if memory serves.
(sigh) no, it doesnt, for the most part. One grandmother quit going downtown in the 80s or thereabouts; made her too sad that "her" Denver was nearly gone. She always told us the view of nighttime Denver was her Jewel box, brighter than any diamond necklaces. Other grandmother, when we complained about the floods of Californians moving in told us the same thing happened after WWII with homecoming soldiers....then great-grandma said she'd seen it happen half a dozen times: big influx of outsiders, then things would settle down for a couple of decades.

I used to go "parking" on the hill where the I225 exit from the Valley Hiway now sits....and Dad used to hunt pheasants in UHills. Grandma thought Grandpa'd moved her nearly to Kansas when they moved "out east" to Birch Street. Ha! I miss our old town, it was unique, but now falling victim to the homogenization of America. At least in NY, Philly, Boston, etc, there are restaurants and such that have been around for over a hundred years. Here they just tear them down......But like the song says, "they cant take that away from me...no....".

Old 05-24-2012, 01:33 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,815,040 times
On the north side of South High School just two blocks south of Wash Park near Florida street was a place called hippie hill..when that part of Denver was still very crunchy with rainbow people ect, my grandparents had a house there late 70's. I was just a young kid than but I still remember the summer parties all lit up at night at the boat house and the paddle boat rentals. The neighborhood was very close knit and even strangers looked after the kids in those days....Never thought thirty years later in 2007 I would buy a bungalow on a 4300 sqft lot for 450 just to scrape and flip it...Don't fear my friends...thirty years from now Globeville could be the next Baker,Highlands ect. I miss the old Denver/Boulder but everywhere has changed....I hear my uncle and father speak about the abundance of fruit orchards they once had going in Grand Valley/Parachute because of the water diverted from the Colorado....now that land with a few exeptions up on Battlement Mesa has solidly returned to grease weed and sage brush country.
As a child living in Boulder I remember that the city had to routinely replace the speed limit signs as they were constantly painted over by some random artist...his subject was usually BugsBunny giving the peace sign or Elmer Fudd with some LSD related caption above...Guess I'm not going see Star Wars any time soon at the Cooper Cameo.. catch a flick up at the North Valley Mall , or head to the drive inn theatre off of North Broadway in Boulder.

Last edited by Scott5280; 05-24-2012 at 01:41 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 02:08 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,575,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
I remember standing in the line that wrapped all the way around the Cooper when I went to see Star Wars with my dad.

My dad was hooked on their Bing Cherry tea and this is where I was introduced to Famous Amos cookies in the brown paper bag; before they were bought by some mega-multi-ruin-it-all food company.

Red Miller and the Denver Gold

My dad, Red Miller and Starr Yellend were friends. Red (Robert) and his wife were in a dixieland/swing/jazz band together and Starr Yellend had the biggest collection of swing/dixieland/jazz music in Arapahoe County. He got all my dad's albums after my dad died.

Ski bus breaking down on the way home and being upset because we were going to miss Mork & Mindy!

Always took out of town friends up to Pearl St to their house.

I may or may not know some people who set fire to the dumpster there in protest when we drove all the way out there and discovered that boulders had been placed outside the parking lot to stop the hundreds of kids that showed up to party on the weekend.

Or the Trail Dust Steakhouse was SOOO far out of town.

We lived at Arapahoe and I-25 in Walnut Hills when there was nothing out there but Acres Green and Walnut Hills. Dry Creek was just being built. It was on the eastern prairie!!

Back when it had hills...

My kids loved riding the hills on county line. We would take County line (before 470 was built) rather than Arapahoe Rd to go to Southglenn Mall or to Franklin Pool for swim lessons.

Google Maps still shows that name and it warms my heart in a way that only people participating in this thread could understand.

How about 2 1/4 for 225? KOA traffic reporters; Mike Silva who worked for KBTV before it became KUSA; Hal and Charley, KOA The 50,000 watt (or something like that) Voice of the Rockies, Steve Kelly and KIMN The Denver Tiger, Bill Kuster's garden, Matt Mateyka gardening on Channel 4, Stormy Rottman, Bob Palmer, Bill Stuart, Ed and Larry--the Green Brothers, Blinky the Clown on Channel 2 (my kids all were on the show on their birthdays), .....
My parents were transferred out to Denver from NYC when Johns-Manville moved its whole corporate headquarters to Greenwood Village, then Ken Caryl, then Denver, in 1971 and I left college in Rhode Island and transferred to Boulder in 1972. Lived in CO until last year, full time.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
On the north side of South High School just two blocks south of Wash Park near Florida street was a place called hippie hill..when that part of Denver was still very crunchy with rainbow people ect,
Heh. I remember it well. It was quite the hang-out, for a variety of reasons.
Quote:
...Guess I'm not going see Star Wars any time soon at the Cooper Cameo.. catch a flick up at the North Valley Mall , or head to the drive inn theatre off of North Broadway in Boulder.
Me too. Loved the Cooper especially. But we will always have the memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
It's still here, hasn't moved. It's also been in the news in the last few weeks:

Denver's historic Richthofen Castle under contract for sale
Thanks for posting this. Our first Denver home as a married couple was on Pontiac St, just a couple blocks south of Richthofen, for about 7 years.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:54 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
How about 2 1/4 for 225?

For some reason I always loved that name - as a kid I thought it was so clever, and as an adult it was a nice bit of nostalgia.

So many of the other things you listed hit home, but especially a lot of the radio station stuff. I miss things like Hal & Charley; I miss people that could TALK on the radio (and TV for that matter).

Every now and then I can still get KOA down here (most AM radios suck now so picking up the signal can be tricky)... the 50,000 watt blowtorch! I am saddened when I am back in Denver and I tune it in hoping for a decent traffic report since so much of their lineup seems to be nationally syndicated junk. I miss LOCAL radio.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:17 PM

833 posts, read 1,713,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Me too. Loved the Cooper especially. But we will always have the memories.
All three of the big screens had their points, my least favorite was the probably the Century 21, but it was still an awesome place to see the big, exciting movies.

I don't think we knew how luck we were to have it just down the street from the Cooper Cameo and the Continental just a few miles away.

I found some cool links for these theaters. The first has some pictures of the old Cooper... too bad they don't show the balcony, that has some extra special memories!

Add in Celebrity Sports Center (got my first ticket leaving there on a date)... Colorado Blvd used to have it all!

Now they have a Barnes & Noble and a Home Depot.

Yuck.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/824

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/9049

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/13718

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3636/3678497924_57bb1c2a27_o.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver