Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 01:24 AM

2 posts, read 21,718 times

Advertisements

I remember lots of things in these posts and I've only been here since 1978. Talk about memories, wow! I have a question for anyone who might know. First, I was researching the old Century 21 Speedway near I-70 and Gunclub Rd that was open between 1971 and 1974 and ran across this bizzare story:

"Another true story from Century 21 after it closed: A friend of mine from Strasburg was running a AA/Fuel Altered back then (and still does today). They took the car out to Century 21 on a week day long after it had been closed to do some tuning and a few launches, while they were working on the car up by the starting line area a black Camaro drove by them with two guys in the front and a girl in the back seat... the guys slowly drove by and went down the track... nobody thought much about it but a few minutes later they heard gunshots from the far end of the track and the Camaro quickly took off and went out a gate on the north end of the property.

So my buddy and one of his crew guys drove down to the end to see what they were shooting at, they found the girl that was in the back seat of the Camaro shot to death. They left and called the Police... the Police seemed more concerned as to why they were on the property than they were about the dead girl. It wasn't long after that the county had piles of dirt dumped here and there on the dragstrip to keep people from racing on it."

Does anyone here remember this incident? It was sometime after 1974 but the author didn't say how long after. I was out at this site yesterday before I found this story and when I left, I went to the East end of the old dragstrip and got such an erie feeling that the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I don't believe in ghosts but this story left me a little rattled. I'd like to know if they IDed the girl and caught the guys that did her in. Please let me know if you have any info. I'll try to write about something cheerier next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 03:27 PM

59 posts, read 350,559 times

the tally ho ??

Old 04-13-2011, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 8,767 times
This is for cher and cindy post that cop that was famous was "buster snyder" and he would fill out his ticket books at the beginig of each shift, he already knew how many tickets he was going to give out. I was told by my friend in high school that his older brothers closed lined him in the back alley behind scotchman when he was a motorcycle cop and put him in the hospital for about 4 months,after that he was an ******* to everyone---neverever seen a cop that laughed when he was writting up a ticket till I got one from him. he would sit off at a distance and sit in his car with his head down and fill out the ticket and then walk up to you and hand it to you while you were standing there in a parking lot talking to girls, when you were downtown on fri.& sat. nights on 15th&16th. If you gave him any lip or just asked a question sometimes he would write you another ticket for not having you transportation (car) not tied up to the hitch'in post,apparently this law was still on the books at the time. Oh yea! he thought that was funny!

Old 04-17-2011, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 13,282 times
Back in the late 60’s or early 70’s on East Colfax in Aurora there was “The Four Seasons” bar/nightclub that was a place we used to go to dance and listen to some great music. I am trying to remember the name of an entertainer that was there on a couple of occasions that had an electric organ that would spin upside down. He would play his tunes and he could make his electric organ spin in a circle. Does anyone remember his act? If you remember his act...do you remember his name? I thinking it was Crazy Al or something along those lines. They used to get some really well known names in there at The Four Seasons to entertain on a Friday or a Saturday night.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 17,435 times
Default allan Berg

I lived in Aurora in the 70's. My Dad would always listen to Allan Berg. It was a shame when he was shot....Does anyone remember Jolly's restaurant on Colfax, Zips restaurant, or a bar called Saturdays?

Old 04-18-2011, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 17,435 times
I was trying to remember the name of The Pub. Used to go there in the late 70's. It was fun!!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moo-moo View Post
I lived in Aurora in the 70's. My Dad would always listen to Allan Berg. It was a shame when he was shot....Does anyone remember Jolly's restaurant on Colfax, Zips restaurant, or a bar called Saturdays?
I remember Saturday's, sure do. Was quite a ways from where I lived so I wouldn't imbibe THAT much, but saw a great concert there in mid October of 1973. Merillee Rush had a chart hit in the Summer of 1968 called "Angel Of The Morning", and played there on a Saturday night. Was a great show! There were other concerts there as well. Seems like they closed around 1980 or so.

I remember Jolly's as well.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:41 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Does anyone remember the Coachlight Restaurant and Inn on Colfax? What a dive but they had quite a bit of late night crowads and the food was decent....

Old 04-19-2011, 12:47 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajet 1968 View Post
This is for cher and cindy post that cop that was famous was "buster snyder" and he would fill out his ticket books at the beginig of each shift, he already knew how many tickets he was going to give out. I was told by my friend in high school that his older brothers closed lined him in the back alley behind scotchman when he was a motorcycle cop and put him in the hospital for about 4 months,after that he was an ******* to everyone---neverever seen a cop that laughed when he was writting up a ticket till I got one from him. he would sit off at a distance and sit in his car with his head down and fill out the ticket and then walk up to you and hand it to you while you were standing there in a parking lot talking to girls, when you were downtown on fri.& sat. nights on 15th&16th. If you gave him any lip or just asked a question sometimes he would write you another ticket for not having you transportation (car) not tied up to the hitch'in post,apparently this law was still on the books at the time. Oh yea! he thought that was funny!
Buster Snyder was NOTORIOUS for writing tickets for NOTHING... But they always seemd to stick... I don't know of anyone who got out of one of his tickets.....He wrote me one for having sidepipes on my Mustang. Seems there was an old law in Denver that said no sidepipes/lakepipes on cars.... I lived in Aurora and worked in Denver.. Hell I used to go all over Denver.. Seems he was the only one who cared I was breaking the law and gave me a ticket....Had to take my car to the Coliseum parking lot where the Highway Patrol had a Decibel meter monitoring set up and they recorded my car as I did a series of drive-bys. That was sent to Denver courts to enter into their books on how bad I was breaking the law.. I ma happy to say I broke the law very well as my test was the loudest of any of them.....

Old 04-21-2011, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 8,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
I haven't been back for a long time either, and I hope to make it back in the next couple of years. I have a few childhood memories.

I remember Burt Chevrolet in Englewood. I don't have many memories of Craig Chevrolet. My dad always bought Chevrolets and we used to see the new models every fall. Burt Chevrolet was always packed, and they had a spotlight that zoomed all over the sky.

I remember Joslins.

I remember Neusteters. My mom didn't buy clothing there because it was so expensive, and I always used to joke with her that she bought her clothing at Wardsteters. I remember Wards being fairly close to Neusteters. Wards at that time was an ugly multi-story concrete building.

I took my swimming lessons at the Littleton YMCA. At that time, it was an old two or three-story house with a pool in the backyard.

I took a few ice skating lessons at DU. I never did master my triple axel. LOL!

I also took the Evelyn Wood spead reading course at DU. What a bummer! Without that speed reading course, I wouldn't have been able to master my triple axel. That course saved me from reading, and reading, and reading Sure!

I used to go quite bit to a recreational trampoline place on Santa Fe Drive. As I recall, they had a minature golf course, too. They had about 20 trampolines and they were all at the ground level. Back then, that was the rage. Today, I don't think this type of business would be viable with high insurance rates. Jumping on a trampoline can be dangerous, if there's no spotters around.
Brentwood Shopping Center - right next to my HS and late nights doing burning contests in back
Lincoln HS - the football team was pretty good
Villa Italia - it was great but they let it get outdated, then Lakewood stole the land for that disgusting, fake downtown thing
Cinderella City - wild rides on the upper parking deck because the concrete sagged between supports, first ride in a Vette that belonged to my sister' boyfriend. The motor caught on fire because there was no air cleaner.
The Scotchman - on Federal north of I-70 where the Wendy's is today. Cinnamon Coke and "Get Back in the Car Son!" from the cop if you opened the door
Lakeridge rd - about a block from my current house - where the "rich" folks lived
Casa Bonita - still there, still OK food, still entertaining, we used to clean the pool using scuba equipment and a big pump, had to build a filter to catch the coins
The burger place on Federal was just north of Alameda - don't think it was Jim's
Englewood Speedway - Figure 8's, Skunky, Fast Freddie, Dick JR, Newlander Radiator a big sponsor, ...
Progress Plunge - my parents swimming pool, Fred Jackson,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver