Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 04:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Remember the Bratskeller on Larimer Square? Was downstairs...huge fireplace. German food...it's gone now?
Gone. That's where I had my first cocktail (White Russian.) They didn't card me, and it was quite dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:53 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Gone. That's where I had my first cocktail (White Russian.) They didn't card me, and it was quite dark.
We really enjoyed the Bratskeller....cozy in the winter months..........hmmm the German potato salad and brats... and oh yeah the drinks were not too shabby, either. HA!; those were the days. Seems like downtown Denver always has great places to dine and just enjoy the whole scene!

Old 09-04-2014, 09:39 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP of it View Post
I don't remember the reservoir or lake above east Yale avenue being there when i lived just North of Yale between Sheridan and federal in the sixties. I was surprised one day just a few years ago when i was driving around the area and found it. We used to walk down to Bear valley shopping center in those days and would have come across it. I think Lake ridge road is above it and i remember a few people living on it but not the lake.
That's one of those private neighborhood lakes, I think it's called Wolcott Lake. Bear Valley Shopping Center back in the day! Unrecognizable now.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:11 AM

694 posts, read 1,039,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimer1 View Post
M-80's! How could I have forgotten that name considering how much 3.2 beer I consumed (and and tossed back up later) at that place. Many was a night I left there when I should not have been behind the wheel! A far cry from where I was then to where I am now! I gave up drinking and have been 'dry' for 13 years now!

I grew up in Arvada, and only made it to the Score Minus 2 a few times. Seems it wasn't the most popular club, though it was still busy. I remember them closing after there was an accident where a girl was crushed between two cars in the parking lot, and was seriously injured. I believe she lost her legs and the club shut down due to liability issues.

Never made it to those Glendale clubs as it seemed like a foreign land when you were coming all the way from Arvada.
Glad to see someone else remembered M-80's!! Loved the place . . . the women were a little more on the Joan Jett and Dale Bonzio side, but more friendly (and willing) than the plastic types at The Lift and Chaps!

Yesterday when driving down Hampden and passing Kennedy Golf Course, I looked to the left and noticed another great early 80's hangout (now a vacant building) . . . Bobby McGee's . . . . many a Friday night would find a Denver Bronco or two hanging out.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,667 times
Is there still a place in Denver (fast food) that serves huge hamburgers; like the size of a dinner plate......they were so yummy, dill pickles, so good. "Whataburger?" Guess Whataburgers are still around.

Last edited by mollygee; 09-08-2014 at 08:17 AM..

Old 09-08-2014, 03:16 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP of it View Post
I don't remember the reservoir or lake above east Yale avenue being there when i lived just North of Yale between Sheridan and federal in the sixties. I was surprised one day just a few years ago when i was driving around the area and found it. We used to walk down to Bear valley shopping center in those days and would have come across it. I think Lake ridge road is above it and i remember a few people living on it but not the lake.
It's been there since at least the 1940s, well before the area was developed, or Bear Valley existed.. It looks like the neighbors have banded together and blocked access to the lake. Thats probably why you never saw it.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:02 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Quote:
Is there still a place in Denver (fast food) that serves huge hamburgers; like the size of a dinner plate......they were so yummy, dill pickles, so good. "Whataburger?" Guess Whataburgers are still around.
I think you're talking about Jim's Burger Haven. They're still around.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:46 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:

It's been a while since I've been through Denver's west end but if memory serves there was a Whataburger on west Morrison Road in west Lakewood. It is a San Antonio based chain and there are several hundred of them. There were other Whataburgers in the Denver area in the late 70's I believe.

Agreed on Jim's Burger Haven!! One word describes those burgers--yums!!

Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,445 times
Default Glendale nightclubs The Lift

I worked at the lift for about 7 years before moving over to Urban Cowboy...I was the first and only female bartender for years. Did any of you reading this ever work at the Lift in the early to mid 70s??
I would love to find any of those wonderful people I worked with. That was the club for sure with great memories!

Old 09-15-2014, 02:03 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimer1 View Post
Is Kitty's on Colfax gone? I don't get down that way much anymore. I think there were four theaters, if I remember correctly. The main store on Colfax, another on Alameda, South Broadway, and another another further south called Kitty's Cine-Art or something like that. I recall one time the late Marilyn Chambers (former Ivory Snow girl) made a live appearance there, and I saw on the news that a line was stretched around the block to see her.

The Puss-N-Boots was on Washington. Went there once until I quickly discovered that the girls were hustling overpriced drinks.

I was thinking to back-in-the-day when an 18 year old could drink 3.2 beer and clubs flourished. I was trying to remember some of them- can you add to this list?

Score Minus 2 in Arvada

After The Gold Rush

Yellow Pages?

Funny Papers?

Not sure of the last two. I know there were more, but can't think of the names. The two I spent most time in drinking (and later throwing up) lots of beer was the Gold Rush, and the one on E 88th, which went though various names, before becoming a Hispanic club and eventually closing.

The Gold rush made the transition to full alcohol and flourished for years, changing its name to Hollywood Legends. It finally closed, reopened briefly as the Grizzly Rock before its final death rattle.

The Pub on Montview in Aurora was a 3.2 club...... I used to bounce there....

And I was there when Marilyn Chambers was at Kitty's.. I was inside watching her show.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver