Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 05:55 PM

41 posts, read 34,879 times

Advertisements

Ive been in the Denver area for 3+ years now and I didn't buy a house when i first moved here, Now im looking around but i hear really bad news about the housing market in Denver. What do you think, is this going to last or are the prices going to drop in a year or so? If you're looking to sell ofcourse you're going to say its a great time to buy but i dont need the fluff...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 06:18 PM

760 posts, read 883,915 times
It all depends on who you ask.

Realtors and homeowners will try to convince you that Denver will always be a sellers market, and that prices will keep going up forever. Buy now before we hit San Francisco prices!!!!

Others will tell you 2008 will repeat itself, nationwide legalization will cause everyone to move away, and you'll be buying up homes near downtown again for under 200K.

For me, I'm going to hold off until this cycle turns (which it will eventually). I'm not really expecting prices to drop by that much, but I am expecting a larger collection of inventory to choose from without having to bid with 10+ buyers. There is so much going on with the markets and economy nationwide that a recession should be right around the corner. Lets see if Denver really is this magical place that is immune to economic downturn...

Old 05-07-2018, 07:30 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,622 times
Unless we have a big jump in wages prices will have to level off. Drop? I doubt it. There is a lot of pent up demand and a large supply of people who want to move to Colorado.

We could have a huge collapse of the global economy and see prices drop, but that would also cause the average buyer to not have any money to buy.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:30 PM

121 posts, read 155,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
It all depends on who you ask.

Realtors and homeowners will try to convince you that Denver will always be a sellers market, and that prices will keep going up forever. Buy now before we hit San Francisco prices!!!!

Others will tell you 2008 will repeat itself, nationwide legalization will cause everyone to move away, and you'll be buying up homes near downtown again for under 200K.

For me, I'm going to hold off until this cycle turns (which it will eventually). I'm not really expecting prices to drop by that much, but I am expecting a larger collection of inventory to choose from without having to bid with 10+ buyers. There is so much going on with the markets and economy nationwide that a recession should be right around the corner. Lets see if Denver really is this magical place that is immune to economic downturn...
Because the "everyone moved here for pot" narrative is totally accurate...

Old 05-07-2018, 07:36 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,240,342 times
Look at what is driving the cost of homes up now, and use some logic to determine if you think that will continue or not.

From my perspective, people are moving here because there are a lot of good paying jobs, beautiful weather and tons of outdoor activities (I am sure some people move for the pot, but I don't think that it at all what is driving the economy here)

With those things said, I doubt companies are just going to start moving away from here (right after moving here), I doubt people are going to stop liking nice weather and tons of outdoor activities.

Sure, if there is a national or global decline, were likely to take a hit. But to think that Denver is going to crash and burn on its own - Im betting against that one.

I am sure pricing will level off and the market will become a little less insane with the bidding wars and all, but I highly doubt prices will really drop, or even go flat for quite a few more years.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:40 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
How to buy at a lower price.
1. Save up at least $500K.
2. Wait for the next recession when you and everyone you know is unemployed.
3. Buy.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:03 PM

121 posts, read 155,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
Look at what is driving the cost of homes up now, and use some logic to determine if you think that will continue or not.

From my perspective, people are moving here because there are a lot of good paying jobs, beautiful weather and tons of outdoor activities (I am sure some people move for the pot, but I don't think that it at all what is driving the economy here)

With those things said, I doubt companies are just going to start moving away from here (right after moving here), I doubt people are going to stop liking nice weather and tons of outdoor activities.

Sure, if there is a national or global decline, were likely to take a hit. But to think that Denver is going to crash and burn on its own - Im betting against that one.

I am sure pricing will level off and the market will become a little less insane with the bidding wars and all, but I highly doubt prices will really drop, or even go flat for quite a few more years.
1. I would be making literally double in LA. (and spending $1,800 on a 1 bedroom instead of $1,400 for a studio here)
2. What beautiful weather?
3. I guess there are outdoor activities if that's your thing.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:23 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
I always love these posts. Hey, homeowners in Denver, when will the market crash so I can swoop in and buy your house for pennies on the dollar while you walk away broke and busted??

Old 05-07-2018, 11:06 PM

824 posts, read 705,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I always love these posts. Hey, homeowners in Denver, when will the market crash so I can swoop in and buy your house for pennies on the dollar while you walk away broke and busted??
a bit dramatic.
Denver could run out of water

let the good times roll, pay off your loans

Last edited by daprara; 05-07-2018 at 11:48 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 06:15 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
Denver could run out of water
Denver has plenty of water for residential users. The Northern half of the frontrange is generally in a solid position too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver