Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:37 PM

7 posts, read 66,707 times

Advertisements

Pros and Cons of the Lowry area of Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 04:20 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Lowry seems very nice. It's somewhat like Stapleton- mostly new urbanism homes with garages in back on alleys, but some suburban type housing with front loading garages. Nice town center, convenient to central Denver and downtown, seems to integrate a lot of work places into the mix. Probably the main cons would be cost of houses (probably at least $475 for a 3 bdr. house) and the neighborhood to the north isn't very nice.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
No alleyways, no real town centers. Unlike Stapleton most residents are dual income no kids thus you see very few folks walking in the warmer weather.

Personally we looked in Lowry and quickly decided against it, having a 16 year old and two younger kids ... but to each their own.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:47 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Ahhh.. the allure of new construction I've never understood. What people will do to get it is amazing... live in dreadful locations, commute for 3 hours a day, or take out a second job to afford the place. Or all of the above.

Lowry, thankfully, only forces you to take the second (or third) job (read: it's expensive). The location is great, and commute is about as central as it gets. And the neighborhood is frankly pretty nice.

On the other hand, I find it hard to get too excited about Lowry. Other than the new-builds, is there really anything that Lowry offers that you couldn't find better in other Denver neighborhoods, often for much less money? I can't think of anything. Or, if you're willing to spend the cash, I think you can do far better in about a dozen other 'hoods in Denver. Anyway, to get to Lowry, you end up on the parkway on 6th ave as you're going through Hilltop. Now there is some Denver old money for you, so Lowry is kind of an aesthetic letdown after passing it by.

Actually, there are some intriguing little pockets of Lowry. A friend of mine lives in a townhouse in one of the converted officer barracks -- now that is interesting, and my friend has a pretty tight bond with all her neighbors -- they do quite a bit together. So, it's not all that bad -- some of the creative re-use of the military properties is the best part of it. And the neighborhood itself is pretty good too, just not good enough IMO to justify the lofty price-tag, which is clearly inflated by a collective fetish we all have with the "new."

Old 02-27-2008, 03:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I love the fact that Lowry exists (I remember when it was a sad, unused air force base) and I like the location.
There are certainly *some* families in Lowry, because When I was teaching preschool in Denver, I had several kids whose parents built homes there.

Quote:
No alleyways, no real town centers.
Steve, where did you get this idea? It has both--I've been there and seen it and walked it. The Town Center was designed by David Owen Tryba. It's a heck of a lot better use of space than, say, the commercial strips on Colorado Boulevard.

Some of Lowry's townhomes start at $146K. Probably some people go for the new construction there simply because they can afford it, and like to oversee what's going on. When it comes to central Denver, not everyone wants Baker, Curtis, Alamo Placita or Park Hill, not everyone can afford Country Club or Hilltop, and they might want more space than they'll get at Congress Park or Wash Park.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:40 AM

Yes, there are alleys. Not on every street, but probably half? I'm just guessing. But it's kind of odd how they try to mix in streets here and there without alleys and garages in front - like they're trying to attract both urban and suburban type people. I don't think the prices there are much, if any higher than Stapleton.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:54 PM

Thanks that gives me some info to go from.

Part of Lowry is in Aurora correct? I found an apartment complex we are looking at that looks nice. The address is:

9801 E Colfax Ave
Aurora, CO 80010

Is that a good part of town? I have had people say "stay away from certain parts of Aurora." Is that one of those parts?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:01 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslee919 View Post
9801 E Colfax Ave
Aurora, CO 80010
Run, don't walk away!!! The Aurora section of East Colfax IS the bad part of Aurora that gives the city a bad reputation.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM

Ok thanks vegaspilgrim! It is always nice to get info from someone who knows!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslee919 View Post
Thanks that gives me some info to go from.

Part of Lowry is in Aurora correct? I found an apartment complex we are looking at that looks nice. The address is:

9801 E Colfax Ave
Aurora, CO 80010

Is that a good part of town? I have had people say "stay away from certain parts of Aurora." Is that one of those parts?
I checked on the sat. view and this looks like that new development in old downtown Aurora. By itself, it looks nice. But the surrounding areas are sketchy. This isn't Lowry or Stapleton, but the area inbetween. I know Aurora is trying to make the old downtown nice, but 90% of the businesses cater to Mexican immigrants and everything is in Spanish. Also a lot of pawn shops and check cashing places in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: