Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:25 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,763,761 times

Advertisements

I was reading about Good Eats in Denver on I Go U go (.com) this morning. It seems there are a lot a steak houses in Denver. I look forward to a good steak, even if I don't eat it often.

I also read about places that people go more for the entertainment, than the actual food. One place was described 'like no where else', lots of fun, and one step above Taco Bell. (But it did sound fun.)

So what are your favorite culinary destinations in the Denver Metro? Why do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 03:16 PM

676 posts, read 2,799,065 times
I like to go to Petes University cafe down in the University of Denver area. Its great greek food for cheap. Or mexican there is benny's down on 7th which is good mex. food

Old 10-22-2007, 03:16 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,329,063 times
There are a lot of great places to eat in Denver:
Sahara-- Arapahoe & Dayton-- best middle eastern food in Denver.
Tokyo Joe's (many locations)-- quick casual rice bowl/ california roll place. Really healthy, clean, great-tasting food to put in your stomach.
Spicy Pickle (several locations)-- a local sandwich chain-- blows away Qui$nos.
Tommy's-- Colfax and Cook st-- Thai food
Las brisas (sp?)-- Arapahoe & Clinton area-- best Mexican food I've had in Denver
The Pancake House (Belleview & Prentice)-- not to be confused with IHOP. Really good breakfast.
Trail Dust Steakhouse (around Arapahoe & Clinton, again)-- local favorite

Old 10-22-2007, 05:42 PM

195 posts, read 794,872 times
Default vegetarian

I've been to an excellent vegetarian restaurant called Watercourse. You must try it to believe how good it is.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:17 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,986,314 times
Here's an earlier thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ts-denver.html

Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Well there's a way to kill a thread.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:25 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,986,314 times
Oops... sorry.

Well, to make it up to you for killing the thread....

The other day I went to Dim Sum... a couple of outstanding places are in the Alameda Square shopping center in West Denver. Two outstanding choices are Super Star and King's Land. Both are a lot of fun. Super Star also has an excellent dinner menu as well, so they do more than just Dim Sum.

This might have been mentioned, but my Vietnamese Pick (in an area with lots of good Vietnamese) is New Saigon on South Federal. I think the rest of town agrees -- they are always packed even on weekdays.

If you like Cajun and Creole, there's a great Brunch place called Lucille's in West Wash Park (although their original location is in Boulder). For dinner, there's a nice spot in LoDo called Gumbo's. Some people prefer Bayou Bob's, also downtown, which is more casual than Gumbo's.

If you like to dine al fresco, there's a nice place called Highlands' Garden Cafe in the West Highlands neighborhood. Expensive, but very good on a nice day or evening.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
The other day I went to Dim Sum... a couple of outstanding places are in the Alameda Square shopping center in West Denver. Two outstanding choices are Super Star and King's Land. Both are a lot of fun. Super Star also has an excellent dinner menu as well, so they do more than just Dim Sum.

This might have been mentioned, but my Vietnamese Pick (in an area with lots of good Vietnamese) is New Saigon on South Federal. I think the rest of town agrees -- they are always packed even on weekdays.

If you like Cajun and Creole, there's a great Brunch place called Lucille's in West Wash Park (although their original location is in Boulder). For dinner, there's a nice spot in LoDo called Gumbo's. Some people prefer Bayou Bob's, also downtown, which is more casual than Gumbo's.

If you like to dine al fresco, there's a nice place called Highlands' Garden Cafe in the West Highlands neighborhood. Expensive, but very good on a nice day or evening.

hmmmmmm.... Sounds delicious.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:40 PM

92 posts, read 366,211 times
Here's a short list of my favorites. None of these were mentioned in this thread or the previous thread on Restaurants in Denver. And all are moderate to inexpensive in price.

Domo (about 13th and Osage)--Don't let the industrial surroundings deter you. This restaurant has one of the loveliest outdoor garden eating areas in Denver, to my mind. It serves kind of country-style Japanese food, very unlike anything else in town. Their sides, particularly, have the flavor of rural Japan. They also have a great range of sakes.

Z Cuisine (Highlands area)--As intimate a French bistro as you'll find in Denver. Their entrees are wonderful. I had a wonderful lamb ragout scented with lavendar and rosemary once. They're known, though, for their cassoulet, which I've not tried yet. The wine list is a bit pricey, though.

Pho 79 (781 S Federal) or Pho 99 (2200 W Alameda)--If you need your pho fix, either of these will satisfy. Pho 79 serves only pho, but Pho 99 has other east/southeast Asian dishes so makes a great place to go if you need pho, but everyone else wants something else. It's also one of the best bargains in town; about $6 gets you a filling lunch.

Yorkshire Fish and Chips (7275 Pecos)--The fish has a crispy, crunchy (and, yes, greasy) coating and is just like what you would have gotten in England before chips joints started disappearing. They also have excellent fried oysters and shrimp. Their coleslaw (which comes with most orders) is pretty mediocre, though.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:23 PM

18,060 posts, read 27,510,336 times
Briarwood. Golden. Was 37+ per plate but worth it.

Simms Landing. Simms and ?? Denver West Area

Used to be a little cafe looking Mexican restaurant by Applejacks Liquor Store. Gee, there's a little topic in itself.

How about the Broker Restaurants? They still around?

El Tejado 2651 S Broadway, Denver, CO 80210 · 303-722-3987 for Mexican Cuisine- although the last time we were there, it seems like it's gone downhill a bit.

Sushi Den 1487 S Pearl St, Denver, CO 80210 · 303-777-0826 I used to like Sushi Heights for the lunch specials. That's on Colfax near Josephine or something like that.

The Heaven Dragon for Chinese cuisine. Ask for Mike- if he's still there. 120th and Colorado. You gotta try the Crispy Prawns! Yum.

Marc's on like Tennyson and 38th. Great for fish and mussels, and a drink.

The Palace Arms, $$$$ but worth it! You have to be in the mood for Foe Grass (just kidding) foie gras and Kobi Beef (10 bucks an ounce) and a 550.00 ounce of Cognac if you need it, this is the place.

The Buck Snort- Go to Conifer and ask for directions.

The Northwoods Inn on Thursday night.

Mataam Fez- East Colfax or Boulder. Fun! Bring your appetite.

There's a really nice Italian Restaurant out in the middle of nowhere. At 64th and Lowell, there's this place on the north end of that strip mall by what used to be called Cheri's Pub. I wonder what it's called and if it's still there.

Used to be a place called Gussie's on the north side.

The best breakfast is in a greasy spoon diner in Commerce City near where Colorado blvd and Vasquez meet.

The Fort- best Snattle Rake I've ever eaten! Expensive!

Gee, I hate to leave anybody out.

Those are some of my favorite non-franchise places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver