Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 05:21 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times

Advertisements

If your son wants to play lacrosse, but his school doesn't offer it, he can play for another school. In Broomfield, Monarch HS has a lacrosse team. It is probably too late to play this year, because spring sports started in mid-February.

Pros: Closer to husband's job.

Cons: East is a solid school, but not great school. I wouldn't eat at the school if you paid me. The alternative is to let your kid go off campus. East is very urban and is on Colfax. Is your son ready for this freedom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:58 AM

387 posts, read 638,222 times
I probably beat this drum a bit too often, but Lakewood HS is amazing! Jeffco Schools, so there is the issues with wondering what's going to happen with the current school board (and finger-crossing that after the next election, we won't have Koch Bros-bought-and-paid reps on the board any longer...). Lakewood Tigers Athletics has a full complement of sports, and partners with other schools in the district for their ski team (if that's of any interest). It is an IB school with strong academics. My daughter is a junior and we just had our college planning night; Lakewood seniors have been early accepted into Harvard, Carnegie-Mellon, CO School of Mines, one of the seniors from our orchestra just had a Julliard audition.

We moved here from NC in spring of 2013 (we were in WCPSS), and found Lakewood to be a very welcoming place. My daughter started at the school as a sophomore, has made wonderful friends here, and is very involved in the school music program, and has friends who are athletes (specifically lacrosse players!), STEM kids, other musicians, theater kids, Debaters and Model UN-ers, the whole gamut. All are very supportive of one another. I find the academics to be more challenging than at Cary High, where she attended in NC for her freshman year.

As far as commute goes, Lakewood-Downtown would be MUCH easier than Broomfield-Downtown, and you can miss the ungodly mess that is 36. Yes, 6 going downtown (and Colfax going downtown, or 38th going downtown...) can get busy during high-traffic times. But nothing like coming from the northern 'burbs. And, the W line of the light rail system goes through Lakewood into downtown. It's close enough to the school that many students that come in from outside the attendance area take it, then walk to the school.

PM me if you have any specific questions about Lakewood High, or that area of the west metro in general, I'd be happy to help.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I'd like to reiterate what davidv said. Here is the relevant law: http://www2.chsaa.org/home/pdf/StateStauteHandbook.pdf

"State law also allows a student who attends a school which does not offer a particular program the
ability to try out for a program in another school in their school district of attendance or school
district of residence first; then if that program is not offered at a school in their school district of
attendance or residence; then at the nearest public school that has the facilities and offers that
activity, even if the public school is not in a contiguous school district."

My kids did gymnastics at Broomfield High while attending Monarch. There were students from every high school in BVSD on the team at one time or another, plus some from private schools located in the district. The Monarch hockey team has students from many different schools, in many districts. You do have to sometimes advocate for your kid when you do this. I remember one gymnastics mom who was told by Fairview High staff (don't know at what level) that her kid couldn't do gymnastics at Broomfield.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:13 PM

56 posts, read 92,506 times
My kids go to East (through choice since we don't live in the neighborhood). It is a fabulous school. There are so many different kinds of kids and so many options to get involved.

The lacrosse teams are very good. Both boys and girls' teams went to the playoffs last year. It is a big (!!) school so having a passion (like lax or choir or drama) from the get-go is a great way to make friends.

I wouldn't send my kid to any other high school in DPS. The academics are great. My oldest daughter has friends that transferred from GW IB and they feel that the AP/Honors classes are more challenging/difficult at East. My girls have really blossomed while at East.

If you want to your son to attend East, 1st round choice just ended which means it will be almost impossible to enroll for next year UNLESS you live in the neighborhood. Lots of families live in Park Hill (to the east of City Park) which makes it a great choice if you can swing the rent $$. Easy commute to Downtown. I'd live there in a heartbeat if I could afford moving.

If you need any more info about East, feel free to message me.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:29 PM

937 posts, read 743,990 times
I appreciate all of this helpful info. Thank you! I did find out my son could play lax at Monarch, but I'm not too thrilled about me or him having to drive there for practices. My hubby doesn't really like Broomfield. He thinks it lacks character and a sense of community. I've heard great things about East but I'm getting cold feet about living downtown, and having my son learn to drive there in the city. We would rent right in the East district if we did it. I'm not sure if we'd be happy right in a city though. The advantage would be that the commute for my husband would be easy since he works right downtown. Now we are considering a move to Evergreen. I've heard great things about that high school although I know it would be less diverse. I'm hoping it would be a nice laid back and serene area with a strong sense of community. We've lived in the mountains before and so know what to expect with the colder temps, snow etc.

ALStafford, I will check out Lakewood too! It sounds like a great option.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Living in the East High district does not mean you would be in a super-urban concrete/asphalt environment. Park Hill, Cherry Creek north, Country Club and Country Club north are all beautiful neighborhoods. I'd add Hilltop neighborhood to the mix but I think it might be in the George Washington school district.

A good friend of ours taught at Evergreen High for many years (she has since retired.) My husband (before I knew him) once lived in Evergreen and commuted downtown every day. Sometimes it was fine, sometimes, depending on weather, not so great.

Yes, that would definitely be a different high school experience (and also a different driving/commute for both son and husband.)

Old 03-26-2015, 05:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I appreciate all of this helpful info. Thank you! I did find out my son could play lax at Monarch, but I'm not too thrilled about me or him having to drive there for practices. My hubby doesn't really like Broomfield. He thinks it lacks character and a sense of community. I've heard great things about East but I'm getting cold feet about living downtown, and having my son learn to drive there in the city. We would rent right in the East district if we did it. I'm not sure if we'd be happy right in a city though. The advantage would be that the commute for my husband would be easy since he works right downtown. Now we are considering a move to Evergreen. I've heard great things about that high school although I know it would be less diverse. I'm hoping it would be a nice laid back and serene area with a strong sense of community. We've lived in the mountains before and so know what to expect with the colder temps, snow etc.

ALStafford, I will check out Lakewood too! It sounds like a great option.
Frankly, if Hubby doesn't like Broomfield, he's not likely to like Lakewood, either. They have a lot of similarities. But by all means, check it out. There's always that elusive "chemistry".

I always thought Broomfield had a great sense of community, but that's just me.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:58 PM

937 posts, read 743,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Living in the East High district does not mean you would be in a super-urban concrete/asphalt environment. Park Hill, Cherry Creek north, Country Club and Country Club north are all beautiful neighborhoods. I'd add Hilltop neighborhood to the mix but I think it might be in the George Washington school district
I will definitely check out those areas. I drove around Congress Park and was a bit scared off by the more dense and urban feel of it. We're looking for a quiet, residential area that doesn't feel too crowded. Thanks for the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver