Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:20 AM

14,373 posts, read 18,481,889 times

Advertisements

Coming from Jersey, I just don't get the whole "native" thing. I come from a state where large swathes of the population are first-generation immigrants, and most of the people I grew up with were third-generation or second-generation at the furthest back, not to mention the people from other states. Ironically, I also knew a few people growing up whose families had been here since well before the American Revolution, including one of my uncles.

If I ran around NJ with a t-shirt that said "Native," pretty sure I'd be roundly mocked for it, even though my family roots in the state go back over a century on both sides.

In any case, I was struck by the fact that there were only a few New Jersey folk moving here. I suspect that it may be because when you're from NJ, you get used to having several major metro within a few hours' drive. I grew up visiting Boston, DC, NYC, Philly and Baltimore - museums, historical sites, aquariums, theaters, etc. Yeah, I miss that aspect of it, but I do like the weather and the more laid-back vibe, and Colorado has it's own great museums and arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 11:28 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,673,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Coming from Jersey, I just don't get the whole "native" thing. I come from a state where large swathes of the population are first-generation immigrants, and most of the people I grew up with were third-generation or second-generation at the furthest back, not to mention the people from other states. Ironically, I also knew a few people growing up whose families had been here since well before the American Revolution, including one of my uncles.

If I ran around NJ with a t-shirt that said "Native," pretty sure I'd be roundly mocked for it, even though my family roots in the state go back over a century on both sides.

In any case, I was struck by the fact that there were only a few New Jersey folk moving here. I suspect that it may be because when you're from NJ, you get used to having several major metro within a few hours' drive. I grew up visiting Boston, DC, NYC, Philly and Baltimore - museums, historical sites, aquariums, theaters, etc. Yeah, I miss that aspect of it, but I do like the weather and the more laid-back vibe, and Colorado has it's own great museums and arts.
My wife and her family are from Jersey. They moved here about 30 years ago.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:30 AM

25 posts, read 33,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
To me, it's not the Highlands . . . it's North Denver. I'll always use that term. It's the old Italian neighborhood. I had no problems with the way the area was 15 or even 34 years ago when I was transferred here by the Air Force.

To me, the new Gaetano's sucks . . . I miss 3 Sons being at 44 and Tennyson . . . I miss Pagliacci's since they closed down . . . I'm glad Carl's is still there and so is Patsy's.
Certainly there are some changes that aren't for the best, but change is never the less inevitable.

I really don't get hung up on names of the neighborhoods. Forever we called it North Denver or the Northside, but I have no issue with people breaking up the sections and calling them different names. I know some people hate the term LoHi, but honestly the look, the feel, the age of that section of the neighborhood is very different from much of the Highland, so I think it does a fine job a) segmenting a portion of the neighborhood that differs from the rest b) providing a more precisely defined area/segment of the neighborhood. There are certain people who LoHi would be a great fit for, that wouldn't like many other areas of the Highland.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Interesting post. Never really thought of that, but it's probably true. So many choices there within a few hours if you're looking to spread your wings and leave the home state.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
Agreed. Some other long time residents don't like those answers, but I do. I remember growing up here you could get from US 36 and Sheridan to I25 and Colorado in 20 minutes during rush hour, but other than the major and minor leagues sports teams you had almost no reason to stop anywhere in between those two points. I'll gladly take the trade-off of better transit options and vastly improved vibrant city for the traffic and parking woes a lot of other locals/natives/curmudgeons want to complain about.
Completely agree. What turns me off the most are people who also moved here from other states and now complain about more people moving in. It makes no sense. I don't like natives complaining but at least they have a little more ground to stand on.

Can't wait for public transit to really get built out. Just hope more people from other big cities move here so it gets used. I fear the current crowds who won't use it, because it doesn't leave exactly when they want, or lacks the exact same convenience as a car. Is it right for everyone? No. Is it an option for way more people than it currently serves. No doubt.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:47 AM

2,303 posts, read 3,129,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I couldn't agree more. We are all still a part of the same country.
Better yet, we are all part of the same planet, and same universe. People who proudly proclaim themselves as "natives" with some entitled sense of superiority seem to like to find other ways in which to prop up their fragile egos, as well, and usually by being as divisive and exclusive as possible. "If you're not like me, you must be BAAAAD."

I'm from Illinois. It's where I happened to be born. I like Colorado better. Big whoop.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:53 AM

3,151 posts, read 5,112,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareLocal5280 View Post
Completely agree. What turns me off the most are people who also moved here from other states and now complain about more people moving in. It makes no sense. I don't like natives complaining but at least they have a little more ground to stand on.

Can't wait for public transit to really get built out. Just hope more people from other big cities move here so it gets used. I fear the current crowds who won't use it, because it doesn't leave exactly when they want, or lacks the exact same convenience as a car. Is it right for everyone? No. Is it an option for way more people than it currently serves. No doubt.
I think were rapidly approaching the time where people will be forced onto the public transit as there will be no more rush hour, non-rush hour times. Thankfully folks persevered when they were planning the train system and everyone wondered, Who will ride it? It is faster to drive.

Thankfully they redid most of I-25 through downtown/Cherry Creek areas. That has helped alot. Now they are focusing on the approaches north and south I-25 and 36. But your right in that people need to adjust to using public transit with the numbers we now have in the metro area. I would hate to see the road system developed to support 20 lane highways.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:01 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,142,881 times
Quote:
In any case, I was struck by the fact that there were only a few New Jersey folk moving here. .
Interesting. When I moved here in 1982 the majority of people I met (and befriended) came from the east coast - mainly NY and NJ. Many of them are still here, only one moved back to care for his elderly parents.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I would hate to see the road system developed to support 20 lane highways.
Couldn't agree more. That is one of the things I hate the most about Houston - they built ugly massive highways, and guess what, traffic still sucks!!

Old 02-20-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I'm from Illinois. It's where I happened to be born. I like Colorado better. Big whoop.
My favorite people from out of state are from Illinois, usually so friendly and well mannered. . . but shhh don't tell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver