Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 08:07 AM

19 posts, read 24,662 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to Denver in a couple of weeks. My job is located in Commerce City. I hear Commerce City is not a good place to live. I'm with commuting a half hour to 45 minutes to work. Right now I'm looking at Aurora and Thornton. Any advice? Specific apartments would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:23 AM

977 posts, read 1,331,798 times
I would check out several of the apartment complexes in Stapleton as well. It's a great community with some very nice amenities. This is dependent on where in Commerce City your job is at, if it's out towards E-470 than Thorton or Aurora might be a better choice.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:13 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,340,761 times
The new part of Commerce City (the "Reunion" neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods) centered around 104th & Chambers is actually a really nice area-- new, safe, and clean, and it's miles from the old industrial parts of Commerce City. Not a whole lot of retail there at the moment (besides a mega sized King Soopers, tire shop, banks, and fast food) but businesses are rapidly moving in. I'm not aware of any apartment rental complexes there but there are condo and townhome complexes that may have individual units that are rented out (check Craigslist, search "Reunion.") IMHO, this is actually a more desirable area to live than most of Aurora with the exception of far southeast Aurora (the furthest part of Aurora from Commerce City). I never thought I would say that, as I used to bash Commerce City, but after doing some extensive home searching around the metro area this year, those are my conclusions.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:24 PM

371 posts, read 495,312 times
What is your budget?

And will you working near or having to deal with I-270 between 6-9AM or 3-7PM? Going eastbound is literally one of the worst stretches of highway in the Denver Metro area in the morning. Going westbound the same in the evening. The interchange at Vazquez is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life.

If you're young and single (I'm getting the feeling you are), avoid Reunion. It's a new area, very nice, and very low crime. But there is almost nothing to do, no single people, no nightlife, and it also takes a ton of time to get to anywhere where there is. The rest of Commerce City is nothing special at best and very sketchy at worst.

Thornton is OK. Try to stay within a few blocks of Thornton Parkway or north. Northglenn is mostly OK too. Stapleton is an option if you have the money. City or Congress Park near Colorado might be options if you don't mind fighting the Colorado/Vazquez traffic, and it should still fall in the 30-45 minute radius.

Finally, my friends dad who worked at the refineries in Commerce City used to be able to get there in 30 minutes or so using side streets from East Arvada, so I wouldn't completely rule out Arvada (close to Sheridan Blvd) or Westminster.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:13 PM

19 posts, read 24,662 times
My job is located off of the 270 exit near 65th and Quebec st. I will definitely check out the reunion neighborhood. I'll make a list and check out all of these areas. My budget is $750 a month. I didn't realize Colorado was this expensive to live. Some of these apartments charging almost 700+ a month would be 500 a month apartments in Indiana.

Last edited by mamkling; 11-24-2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
What is your budget?

And will you working near or having to deal with I-270 between 6-9AM or 3-7PM? Going eastbound is literally one of the worst stretches of highway in the Denver Metro area in the morning. Going westbound the same in the evening. The interchange at Vazquez is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life.

If you're young and single (I'm getting the feeling you are), avoid Reunion. It's a new area, very nice, and very low crime. But there is almost nothing to do, no single people, no nightlife, and it also takes a ton of time to get to anywhere where there is. The rest of Commerce City is nothing special at best and very sketchy at worst.

Thornton is OK. Try to stay within a few blocks of Thornton Parkway or north. Northglenn is mostly OK too. Stapleton is an option if you have the money. City or Congress Park near Colorado might be options if you don't mind fighting the Colorado/Vazquez traffic, and it should still fall in the 30-45 minute radius.

Finally, my friends dad who worked at the refineries in Commerce City used to be able to get there in 30 minutes or so using side streets from East Arvada, so I wouldn't completely rule out Arvada (close to Sheridan Blvd) or Westminster.
Thanks for your reply, my brother wrote the original post and I am trying to scout for him while he is driving there.

He is under 35 yr old. single, budget has increased to upto $1,000, being close to public transportation would be nice. He won't fight traffic during rush hour.

1. Is it impossible to find a washer and dryer in your unit for under $1,400 a month
2. Should he use an apartment hunter? I guess it's similar to a Realtor but they help with apartments.
3. He doesn't want to be in suburbia 2.5 kids, minivan land or new, neon strip mall and box store area

any additional information would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver