Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 9,466 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating a move to Denver in a few months....I've lived in Washington, D.C. almost my entire life, except for college and law school. Moving in search of 1) better cost of living; 2) better lifestyle - i'm very outdoorsy and health oriented; 3) (hopefully) better opportunity to meet "my type" of guys. What I hate about D.C.: 1) traffic, traffic, traffic, beyond belief; 2) workaholic, politically-obsessed climbers; 3) the weather SUCKS!!! - I can't take another mosquito-infested, swamp-like summer here; 4) metrosexual men.

I live in the absolute best neighborhood in D.C. (Palisades!!!) and have an awesome house, so am torn about giving it up. I'm looking for a similar neighborhood in Denver: in the city, but feels like it's not, dog-friendly (I have 2), park within a block or two, can walk to a couple of restaurants/shops, and not filled completely with families (but also don't want a young, 20s neighborhood either). I've checked out a couple neighborhoods and am leaning toward Wash Park, but also considering Highlands. Cherry Creek is too "settled/moneyed/Bethesda (if you know the D.C. area)" for me. Any thoughts? And anyone have thoughts on what it is like for a single woman Denver -- 43 y.o., fun, smart, animal lover, been told I'm very attractive????? Much thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 11:45 PM

275 posts, read 1,473,920 times
Hi bleenie,

The two neighborhoods you mentioned are probably good choices. I live in Platt Park and really like this neighborhood also. We have all age ranges here with children/without, gay, straight, etc. My wife and I are in our 40's with an 8 & 7 year old; on one side our neighbor is a really sweet 80 something, on the other side is a gay man about 40, across the street is a young couple in their 20's, next to them is a couple about 40 no kids, next to them is a single woman in her 40's, etc. etc. Black, white, hispanic, asian all on our block. Probably just lack diversity politically... i'd say it's a liberal to moderate neighborhood not many conservatives (at least ultra) here.

Baker you may like, also maybe Berkely. Just was up that way... we are checking out different dog parks and Berkeley Park has a nice one... they also have a rec center, pool and lake at the park. It was our first time there and the neighborhood just seemed to have a nice feel. There are lots of parks in Denver, small and large but not many Dog Parks. People do let the dogs off leash in Platt Park (the actual park in the Platt Park neighborhood) but I have seen them ticketed for it too.

Anyway, links below are some photos of the Baker, Platt Park and Highlands neighborhoods. I think the photos i took of the Baker neighborhood are of better quality, as I have learned a little bit from DenverAztec in the last few months.

Some other neighborhoods that you may be interested in that others could fill you in better on would be Capitol Hill, Congress Park and Cheeseman Park. I pass through and they seem nice but don't know the demographics all that well.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...snow-cold.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...uth-pearl.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ds-photos.html

Old 12-19-2007, 12:27 AM

11,857 posts, read 34,547,043 times
I was born and raised in DC, Denver doesn't have circles, metro (underground) an ocean, or crabs (Hey Mike! wanna have a crab feast?)

But it also doesn't have the traffic, people, uppityness, or all the drama that goes with the Nation's Capitol.

You also have to pay to get into a museum or the zoo.

I'm thinking Old South Gaylord, Wash Park, Observatory Park....depending on how much you want to spend and what size yard you need for the pups.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:07 AM

26,318 posts, read 49,276,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleenie View Post
I'm contemplating a move to Denver in a few months....I've lived in Washington, D.C. almost my entire life, except for college and law school. Moving in search of 1) better cost of living; 2) better lifestyle - i'm very outdoorsy and health oriented; 3) (hopefully) better opportunity to meet "my type" of guys. What I hate about D.C.: 1) traffic, traffic, traffic, beyond belief; 2) workaholic, politically-obsessed climbers; 3) the weather SUCKS!!! - I can't take another mosquito-infested, swamp-like summer here; 4) metrosexual men.....
BTDT. Wife and I were Feds in the DC area for 30+ years, retired and got out of there for good in 2005. Traffic here in CO simply CANNOT compare to the awful mess that is the DC area, esp Northern VA. People here ARE friendly. The weather here IS nicer and even though it is numerically colder/snowier here, its not a bummer, and the very low humidity and lack of bugs is a real treat. Housing costs here in COL SPGS are half what they are back in the No VA area, the lifestyle is healthy, few to none of those "all you can eat" buffet fat-fests here. I'm not one for checking out the guys, but the men here dress, look and act like men, not city slickers. Only thing I miss are my hometown crabcakes from Baltimore (Faidley's or Snyders or Phillips)....2BinDenver understands....

You're gonna love Colorado.

s/Mike

Old 12-19-2007, 09:54 AM

11,857 posts, read 34,547,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Only thing I miss are my hometown crabcakes from Baltimore (Faidley's or Snyders or Phillips)....2BinDenver understands....
s/Mike
I also miss lightning bugs. NOT the Cicadas!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,732,841 times
I moved out here from Bethesda. Really miss Mike's Crab Shack on the shore of the Bay!

Anyway, bleenie, it is definitely more laid back in Denver. I was astonished the first time I went to the symphony at the fancy big concert hall and people came in shorts and flip flops! You will also LOVE the fact that the sky is really blue here and not some ugly gray color.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:42 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,080,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I also miss lightning bugs. NOT the Cicadas!
I miss the lightning bugs, the cherry & magnolia trees, the diversity, the architecture, the history, & the Smithsonian. I do NOT miss the humidity, the mosquitoes, or the I-95 traffic.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:58 PM

303 posts, read 1,563,078 times
I miss the cicadas! At least the summer cicadas, not so much the Brood X cicada overload; August just isn't right without the constant drone. I've tried to find a cd of cicada noise, without any luck ("Dawn and Dusk at New Hope, PA" does have a good east coast cricket night track plus a bird-dominated morning track, btw). I also miss the better public transportation, restaurants, asian grocery stores, Wheaton book sale, trees, humidity, rain, parks, and about a zillion other things (can't wait to move back).

The Asian tiger mosquito has been found in Colorado in the past few years, so the mosquito situation here may get worse soon. I've been heavily bitten during summer evenings while working in my garden plot.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,080,310 times
One lone cicado lived in the corkscrew willow outside the master bedroom window of my last house. Boy, could he make a racket! But, I kinda liked it too, nelumbo.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:38 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,100,845 times
I would highly recommend a weekend visit before you move. We are much slower paced the DC and that can be great for some folks. If you are an outdoor person, you will love being here, especially from May through Sept. However, we average over 300 days of sun a year, so it just makes one want to be outside, cold or not. Washington Park and Highland are perfect areas, but also check out Mayfair, South City Park and Park Hill. All close to downtown but you will also find yards for your dogs and restaurants close by. Capitol Hill is a mix of younger and older folks but Governor's Park is more our age and another great location. There is a strongly inforced lease law in the parks but Berkley Park and Stapleton have dog runs sectioned off. Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: