Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 8,619 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (and our 2 year old Daughter) are moving to Golden, Co. We found a nice house just a block north of Hwy 58 and easy walking distance from downtown, the clear creak trail, and the community center. Living the walking life sounds nice, but we had some questions about the area.

The immediate area if full of older homes, some of which are run down a little bit. The school (mitchel elementary) is rated pretty high, but is surrounded by lower income housing.

We are wondering about the safety of this area. the house doesn't have much of a yard (almost none honestly, so we would have to take our daughter down to parks to play, and we are wondering if there are many other young families in this neighborhood

I guess we are wondering if it is a good neighborhood for raising our daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Data are your friends

1. https://www.city-data.com/city/Golden-Colorado.html
2. When reading about Golden do not confuse/conflate the city and the postal address.
3. FYI - most of the sex offenders "living" in Golden are 'residents' of the Jefferson County Jail.
4. Call Non-emergency Police Services (303) 384-8045 and ask about crime.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 AM

4 posts, read 8,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. https://www.city-data.com/city/Golden-Colorado.html
2. When reading about Golden do not confuse/conflate the city and the postal address.
3. FYI - most of the sex offenders "living" in Golden are 'residents' of the Jefferson County Jail.
4. Call Non-emergency Police Services (303) 384-8045 and ask about crime.

Thanks,

We have actually reviewed all of that information, and called police services already too. We are just trying to get a feel for the neighborhood, hopefully from residents. The house would be on 5th street, and we are wondering what life would be like and what the neighborhood is like. Are there many other kids/families in the area for example?

My wife and I are both 34 so we are late-ish parents.

We are definitely excited about the walkability factor, but we want to make sure that our daughter has a good experience.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,856 times
Where do you live now? I only ask because IMO the best way to get the "feel" of a neighborhood is by visiting the neighborhood.

If you live close by, try to visit on a weekday, a weeknight, and a weekend to get an idea of the neighborhood. Otherwise I'm afraid I have no useful advice for you but I wish you guys luck in the move!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
I have friends with younger kids who live a few blocks from there and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver