Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:31 PM

625 posts, read 1,390,013 times

Advertisements

You could also consider Berkeley/Regis north of I70 if you're looking for value in a solid historic house. This area seems less "hip" because there's almost no commercial and you have to cross I70, but it is near the Tennyson district. Its less convenient, true.

I live in West Highlands, and find myself hanging out either in Tennyson Street for more a friendly atmosphere, enjoy the Berkeley neighborhood, go to Sloan's Lake to jog, but still go to lower Highlands or east of the river for restaurants or "going out." I find I have avoided the 32nd & Lowell area entirely now with all the anti-apartment signs, and the coffee shop owner proclaiming to me that we "want it to be the way Boulder used to be" and "apartments attract young people." Maybe I'll explore when the controversy dies down.

Another good value may be Edgewater. Schools I'm not sure about ... no doubt the test scores "on average" are lower but I believe a child can have a good education in a diverse environment. Housing values are still reasonable, nice character, the little downtown will probably become more vibrant, and there's great access to Sloan's Lake. Plus, if you bicycle, you don't have to bicycle up hill every time you return from downtown!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 08:51 AM

18 posts, read 35,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Plus, if you bicycle, you don't have to bicycle up hill every time you return from downtown!
This cracked me up! I just moved from south Austin, where the bike ride home from downtown was *all* uphill and torture! I moved to the Sunnyside area and last week decided to ride downtown...as I got a few blocks away from my house I realized I hadn't had to pedal once! Dang it! I did it again! I live where the ride home is all uphill!

I will say, other than the hill right after the Highland Bridge, it was a pretty steady climb...so I could stay in the saddle and feel like I got a halfway decent cardio workout in.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:57 AM

120 posts, read 470,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
You could also consider Berkeley/Regis north of I70 if you're looking for value in a solid historic house. This area seems less "hip" because there's almost no commercial and you have to cross I70, but it is near the Tennyson district. Its less convenient, true.

I live in West Highlands, and find myself hanging out either in Tennyson Street for more a friendly atmosphere, enjoy the Berkeley neighborhood, go to Sloan's Lake to jog, but still go to lower Highlands or east of the river for restaurants or "going out." I find I have avoided the 32nd & Lowell area entirely now with all the anti-apartment signs, and the coffee shop owner proclaiming to me that we "want it to be the way Boulder used to be" and "apartments attract young people." Maybe I'll explore when the controversy dies down.

Another good value may be Edgewater. Schools I'm not sure about ... no doubt the test scores "on average" are lower but I believe a child can have a good education in a diverse environment. Housing values are still reasonable, nice character, the little downtown will probably become more vibrant, and there's great access to Sloan's Lake. Plus, if you bicycle, you don't have to bicycle up hill every time you return from downtown!
I moved to Edgewater last year and I agree with your statement concerning its value. I live just a few blocks from Sloans Lake/ W. Highlands great little DT Edgewater with great restaurants and future light rail without the expensive price tag. I see this area becoming alot more popular in the coming years. My area has a very low crime rate and is very quiet and so close to DT.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Colorado School Grades
Beach Court Elementary with an A
There is more to a good school than test scores.

Old 06-07-2021, 05:39 PM

27 posts, read 21,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myblock View Post
o and cant you yuppies or real estate developers see that your hurting neighborhoods not helping them, federal and colfax have their own character, character that non natives cant understand, they just want to kick down the old and build brand new condos, and replace little indi shops with wine and spirits or starbucks i am soooooo tired of starbucks. I AM ANTI GENTRIFICATION! AND ITS NOT THE HIGHLANDS ITS THE NORTH SIDE, Californians!
I bet you didn't know it was the Highlands long, long before it was RENAMED the Northside in the hostile Spanish takeover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver