Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:48 PM
OHW OHW started this thread

102 posts, read 147,653 times

Advertisements

After a lot of thought, I've decided to leave Austin for the Denver metro area for work (can't wait to get back to a dry climate!). My company is opening a new office in the NW part of Westminster. I'd work from home about 70% of the time, so I'd only commute about 1 day a week, maybe 1 day every other week.

Beings as I'll work from home, I'd really like to live downtown, or at least a walkable neighborhood due to my dislike of car culture. Is that commute doable? Google Maps puts it at about 20-25 minutes, but I'm concerned about rush hour.

Of course if you have any suggestions for places to live, I would much appreciate a link! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 10:11 PM

698 posts, read 2,046,936 times
Check out my neighborhood, Bradburn Village which is a walkable neighborhood in Westminster. You can walk to many shops, restaurants, bars, services, the Dry Creek Open Space, and they are going to break ground soon on a Whole Foods in the neighborhood (to open fall/winter 2014). Not sure if you are looking to buy/rent but prices here are much higher than TX. If you are looking for an apartment though we have a nice complex called Bradburn Row that's worth a look.

Bradburn is not all that happenin' though, so if you are looking for a ton of nightclub choices, then downtown, especially the LoDo area, is a better choice. The commute is about 30-45 minutes from downtown in rush hour to Westminster depending on where in Westminster.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
Check out my neighborhood, Bradburn Village which is a walkable neighborhood in Westminster. You can walk to many shops, restaurants, bars, services, the Dry Creek Open Space, and they are going to break ground soon on a Whole Foods in the neighborhood (to open fall/winter 2014). Not sure if you are looking to buy/rent but prices here are much higher than TX. If you are looking for an apartment though we have a nice complex called Bradburn Row that's worth a look.

Bradburn is not all that happenin' though, so if you are looking for a ton of nightclub choices, then downtown, especially the LoDo area, is a better choice. The commute is about 30-45 minutes from downtown in rush hour to Westminster depending on where in Westminster.
Thanks for the reply! Looking at that area, it is very close to where our office will be - just a few miles.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in Westminster. While I can see the appeal of DT Denver to a young person, don't entirely rule out Westy till you've seen it.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:44 PM

459 posts, read 807,617 times
The reverse commute on 36 typically isn't that bad until you get closer to Boulder since Boulder has it's own commuter traffic, but recently they have been doing construction on 36 so it will vary until that is done.

If you are taking I-25 I have never seen the reverse commute that bad unless a major accident happens, or bad weather.

I have lived in both Westminster and DT Denver, and value walk-ability. I think living near the center of Denver is more than worth it, especially if you are only commuting that often. Bradburn is nice, and I hope most suburbs in the future look like that, but Bradburn is an island of walk-ability in a sea of auto-dependence. To put Bradburn in Austin terms it's kind of what it would be like if they built the Mueller neighborhood just south of Round Rock. If you think you are okay with that isolated walk-ability great, but if not in central Denver you have more continuous walk-ability.

Also living near central Denver you will have numerous other destinations within biking, transit, and cabbing distance. I do not go clubbing, but I do value having the numerous restaurants, art shows, concerts, microbreweries, sporting events, and theaters close enough that I can take alternative transportation to get to them. You are just not going to get that variety without driving significant distances if you live in a new-urbanist development in the middle of an auto-dependent suburb.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:53 PM

Totally agree with Robert. Bradburn may be walkable and walkable to the adjacent shopping area, but the surrounding area is not. Although it is close to many things so when I do drive, it's rarely more than 5 miles round trip. But still, is driving. Which I hate. We live here because of proximity to Boulder and needing good public schools. Well, that and I'm a design snob. So it works for us right now. I'm hoping the Whole Foods will bring in more retail along with it and think that likely, which will finish our downtown. That will take a few years though. More walkable retail the better IMO.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:38 PM

What are the major rush hours between the 2 areas?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 PM

7:30-9:30 am, 4-6 PM

Old 10-22-2013, 08:28 AM

26 posts, read 53,077 times
I live in Westminster and love the area. Not sure exactly where your office will be located...but there are several "Express" Buses that go from Market Street Station to Westminster (BV, X86 are two that go to Sheridan/36). I know there are others that go to the area....so that could be a good way for you to commute from DT to Westminster.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM

434 posts, read 1,118,181 times
OP didn't mention a family, so I'm guessing you are single ? If so, live downtown. I love living in the Denver suburbs, but it is very, um, suburban. I haven't met ANYONE without children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver