Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 PM

15 posts, read 34,670 times

Advertisements

I have been living in the Southern California area all of my life, however I've recently been consisting a move to the Denver area. I visited several years ago and found Colorado to be a beautiful state!

While California has some nice qualities that I would miss, I can no longer tolerate the smog, traffic, cost of living and unchecked illegal immigration. I work in downtown Los Angeles and I often times feel like I'm in a different country there are so many Mexicans/Hispanics around. There are literally illegal aliens all over the place in LA, but our local/state/federal government does NOTHING about it. You all would be shocked!!

I'm wondering if the greater Denver area has problems with illegal immigration as well. Are large portions of the city proper or suburbs filled with primarily Hispanics? What is the general attitude towards illegal aliens in your area?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Old 10-10-2013, 10:26 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,881,532 times
If you really think a bunch of Hispanics living in the same area means they are all illegals you probably should live somewhere rural. You certainly wouldn't like it in Denver

Old 10-11-2013, 06:30 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
You would hate it here. I often hear people speaking Spanish.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:47 AM

6,796 posts, read 9,344,447 times
We have illegal aliens here, too, and our politicians bend over backwards to accommodate them by voting for benefits like in-state tuition, etc.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:26 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,507 times
The Arapaho tell me that they've noticed an influx of immigrants in the area. Chief Niwot mentioned it also. We're keeping an eye on it.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:37 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,307 times
Just because someone speaks a language other than English does not make them an illegal alien. My parents speak Spanish as did my grandparents and many generations before them. They were bilingual.

There are 50 million Latinos in America, and 40 million of them speak Spanish. Only a fraction of these people are illegal aliens. Maybe, if you live in an area where the population has spoken Spanish for a few hundred years, you should expect to hear some Spanish spoken. Otherwise you should move to North Dakota.

Unless you are offended by German...

Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
Find a place off Federal. You'll be in hog heaven.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:03 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Just because someone speaks a language other than English does not make them an illegal alien. My parents speak Spanish as did my grandparents and many generations before them. They were bilingual.

There are 50 million Latinos in America, and 40 million of them speak Spanish. Only a fraction of these people are illegal aliens. Maybe, if you live in an area where the population has spoken Spanish for a few hundred years, you should expect to hear some Spanish spoken. Otherwise you should move to North Dakota.

Unless you are offended by German...

I grew up in Northeastern Colorado in Sterling and spent 22 years in the Denver Metro area leaving in 2009.

The last place I lived was Brighton. During my three years of residency there I saw ICE make two large sweeps in Brighton.

The first sweep was in 2006 in an apartment complex named Sun Meadows which netted approx fifty illegals and the second sweep was in 2008 and was less than a quarter mile away from the first sweep.
Another sixty or so were removed.

Denver is quite populated with large numbers of illegals ranging from the predominately Hispanic populated Federal Blvd area in Denver proper, parts of Lakewood and increases in illegal populations the farther in goes in the northeastern quadrant of the metro area. That includes a large portion of Thornton, much of Brighton and then further northward traveling state route 85 into Fort Lupton and Platteville until you reach the city of Greeley which is also heavily populated by such.

If one travels from Brighton on I-76 towards Sterling the towns of Hudson, Fort Morgan/Brush and Sterling are all heavily populated by illegals as well as multi generations of Hispanic Americans.

The Hispanic population both legal and illegal is substantial in the Denver area.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:08 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
If you really think a bunch of Hispanics living in the same area means they are all illegals you probably should live somewhere rural. You certainly wouldn't like it in Denver

Rural populations in Colorado, notably in eastern Colorado are very much populated by both legal and illegal Spanish speaking populations primarily due to the overwhelming industries which employ them in that part of the state which is the cattle industry and agriculture such as sugar beet and wheat farming.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:09 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
The Arapaho tell me that they've noticed an influx of immigrants in the area. Chief Niwot mentioned it also. We're keeping an eye on it.
Well played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver