Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 05:49 AM

8 posts, read 13,150 times

Advertisements

My husband, our 2 young girls (2 & 4), and I are transferring to CO for work. My job will be in Aurora, but we'd rather not live there. My husband would prefer Loveland and I would prefer Golden, however, from what I have read, the commutes are horrible. Can anyone provide great locations near the foot hills where the commute wouldn't be so bad? All suggestions are helpful. I know people suggest renting until you know the lay of the land and traffic patterns, but I don't want to move my kids twice. I want them to get acclimated to one town/sitter/school. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Addresses?

Addresses of both you and your husband's work locations?
"Aurora" is too vague.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:17 AM

Default Address

S Vaughn Way, Aurora. I ha ve the exact address number at home.My husband is a heavy equipment operator/mechanic and can find work anywhere, but will most likely transfer to his union local in the Denver area.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:29 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,868 times
I used to commute to Aurora to near Parker Rd and 225 (very near where your husband will be working), and I live on the far northern end of El Paso County about 11 miles east of Palmer Lake. I would drive up Highway 83 (which turns into Parker Road). It took me about 45-60 minutes usually, and it was a nice drive through mostly rural areas at that time (mid 90's). I think now as it has grown in the Parker area, it may take a little longer, but back then it was a pretty nice drive and avoided the high traffic areas. The thing I didn't like about it was not so much the commute, but that I was bothered by being in a different town than where I lived - it felt weird running errands there, etc.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:28 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,222 times
Sounds like he'll be near 225 and Parker Rd. I think Golden or Loveland would make a terrible commute. Maybe consider Highlands Ranch or even Castle Rock.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:43 AM

403 posts, read 759,516 times
If you want both closer to the foothills and a somewhat better daily commute to your job, you might want to check out neighborhoods off of C-470 on the west side of Denver. Some areas that are closer to the foothills would be Littleton, Ken Caryl, and Roxborough. If you want to be up against the foothills, you're probably looking at about a 45 minute commute to work at a minimum.

Providing more information as to what you would consider "reasonable" commute time would be helpful. In addition, what your family views as important in a home, along with budget, and the surrounding area would allow more people to assist you in narrowing down some options for you. This forum is a great place for info!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:30 PM

Default reasonable commute

From all of my reseach, it seems 45 mins is a reasonable commute; I don't want to miss out on anything my kids may do (school, sports, etc). Both kids are in gymnastics now and the eldest plays soccer and hopefully next year t-ball. Prices: $250,000 or less. I've noticed house prices are more expensive out there and pay isn't as good there as it is here (Springfield, IL), but my husband pointed out that you can't put a price on happiness. We would prefer a rural area/small town feel. I really appreciate all of your responses. Oh, and good schools is a must. Also, we have an American bulldog and I think they are banned in Castle Rock. He's too old to get give away and too young to put down. Thanks again everyone!!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:41 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default You need to do more research

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEH23 View Post
We would prefer a rural area/small town feel. ...we have an American bulldog and I think they are banned in Castle Rock
1. There are almost zero rural/small town feel places in greater Denver.
2. Many cities ban specific breeds.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
East of work, maybe for rural under $250,000. But you won't find the best schools, or even good after school programs.

You can find houses in southern Aurora in cherry creek schools for $250,000 but the average is higher.

An hour plus commute across town is never a good idea with small kids.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 AM

What about Erie, Westminster, or Louisville; would they be better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver