Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 PM

6 posts, read 31,493 times

Advertisements

I am going back into the rental market and want to leave the area I've been in for so long with my late spouse, (Fort Collins area) and am asking input as to the best area in and around Denver to live (including Aurora, Arvada, Broomfield, Westminster, etc). With a walking student and a desire for a safe, clean home, I am desperately trying to make the right move here. I am also disabled, so moving is an even bigger ordeal for me to orchestrate. I lost husband quite unexpectedly and lost our home to foreclosure not long after, so this is all very new to me. I am terrified of dealing with moving to get into a bad facility or neighborhood. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM

17,713 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Default ¿Quanto Dinero?

Rental budget?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
You asked for the "safest place" and also the "best area". What other criteria do you have? Obviously, your budget will play a major role. As you may have noticed by reading through the threads here, the rental market in Denver is very tight right now.

You mentioned a "walking student". What grade level? I assume you mean that you want to be within walking distance of school?

You mentioned disabled. Does that mean that you need an accessible residence?

Will you be working? Do you know where?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 AM

Default Denver area budget

My rental budget is about $950

Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 AM

My student is a college student so I'm concerned about the area. I don't need disability access, that I've got covered. I am just looking for a safe area and am lost. I work from home, so that's not an issue.
Thanks for all of your help!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
Where is your son going to be going to college? Why are you concerned about “the area” (I don't really know what “area” you are concerned about)?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 PM

17,713 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Default In Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneemb727 View Post
I am just looking for a safe area
Indian Creek neighborhood.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 PM

31 posts, read 64,418 times
I'm so sorry to hear about your misfortune. If you don't mind living in the burbs, I think you might find some places in Arvada or Wheat Ridge. Lakewood seems affordable (west of Wadsworth is safest). You have to be careful if looking in Aurora. Some areas like south are very safe and you may find a place in your budget but the further north you go, the more crime.
I'm not as familiar with north of town - but heard Westminster is nice, Broomfield might be too pricey and the closer to Boulder the more expensive it is.
Best wishes on your search!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 PM

371 posts, read 494,406 times
With a budget of 950 and a college student, I'm assuming you want a 2 bedroom.

Also, "walking student?" This doesn't quite make sense to me? Where is he or she going to college, and do mean that you want something within walking distance of campus? If it's CU-Denver, Metro, DU, or School of Mines, on your budget, you probably won't find it or at the very least won't find much good, or are you looking somewhere within busing or light railing distance (which is way more doable)?

North parts of Lakewood west of Wadsworth do have some rentals in that range, and the area is pretty good. There's also a smattering of things in the older parts of Arvada that have decent public transport and aren't bad neighborhoods. Westminster near the Boulder Turnpike/Sheridan is doable, if you don't mind being a bit further out. It also has buses going directly towards downtown.

The actual city of Denver really doesn't have much in your range that's also likely going to meet your standards of safety. A 20 year old is probably OK in Cap Hill, but an older woman with a disability may not find it to her liking. Glendale is OK-ish and does have some rentals in your range. Avoid NE Denver and North Aurora, if possible.

Hope this helps. Also, any clarification as to where the college is and what your transport situation looks like may help us narrow down your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver