Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,145 times

Advertisements

Taking my 17 year old out to see Denver in late April. Been hearing about a raging homeless population out there? Any truth to this?

Side bar: Is UC Denver a commuter campus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default More research on your part

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenpkelly View Post
Taking my 17 year old...
Did you spend any time researching on this forum before making your FIRST post ever?

And, no, we don't have "raging" homeless population.
Some, who visit the Queen, would argue that we have a raging homosexual population. But, they don't appreciate the Queen the way we do.
/sarcasm [for the clueless]

Old 03-11-2013, 08:51 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,332,326 times
Yeah, CU-Denver is basically a commuter campus and it's pretty much right in downtown Denver. There are homeless people on campus. If you want a more traditional college experience, check out CU-Boulder.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Definitely a commuter campus. University of Denver is the "real" college campus experience in the city, but it is private and expensive.

CU Boulder and CSU in Fort Collins are the "real" college experiences as far as public schools.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 PM

434 posts, read 1,117,913 times
I could see how someone could perceive that there was a lot of homeless people. The touristy area (16th Street) and the general downtown had a fair number of stereotypically looking homeless people about and some teenagers who appeared to be very dirty, singing (badly) for money.

Of course, these days, homeless people look just like you and me. But I was surprised at the dirty teenager types (bless their hearts) who were hanging out.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 AM

51 posts, read 116,508 times
Well, it's an American city in the post-Great Recession era. Unemployment is high, prospects are grim. What does she want to study? Something practical I hope! Are you looking for a UCD price-point? How competitive is her academic record? All of these things factor into her choice of college much more than any number of domiciliary-challenged individuals in proximity to the college. For Christ's sake, just don't buy into the whole, "as long as you get a degree, that's all that matters," stuff that I heard growing up. It's just not that way anymore.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:05 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Default You missed a few colleges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Definitely a commuter campus. University of Denver is the "real" college campus experience in the city, but it is private and expensive.

CU Boulder and CSU in Fort Collins are the "real" college experiences as far as public schools.
There are far more traditional college experiences in Colorado than just CU-Boulder and CSU-Ft. Collins in Colorado. There are several public universities that have on campus housing for students including:

Private universities with campus housing for students besides DU include:

Additionally, while CU-Denver and Metro State University (they share a campus) are largely commuter schools, there are student housing options available.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-12-2013 at 07:35 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 AM

618 posts, read 1,365,672 times
The homeless population on the Auraria campus is small and pretty harmless. There are a couple of people that will hang out at the library, but I rarely encounter homeless people otherwise. While it is a commuter campus, there are plenty of options available for student life - and being located at downtown Denver, there is no shortage of fun activities. Davidv gives some great suggestions for other schools above...I'm actually a huge fan of UCCS, which has a very tight, on-campus, student life community.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
Denver has a lot of homeless and panhandlers (not sure if they are all homeless). I get hit up more here for spare change than I ever did when I was in Detroit. The homeless extend all the way down into the nice parts of town, too. It's not uncommon to see panhandlers standing at Belleview and I-25 or in Cherry Creek. I'm not really sure why this is. Anyway, they are fairly harmless in my observation. You likely be assaulted more by their abnormal appearance and putrid odor than anything else.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 AM

864 posts, read 1,453,831 times
I go to UC Denver (if your child qualifies, have them look into the program I am in on campus---University Honors and Leadership Program...UHL), and it's a great school. I had my choice of schools to attend (I'm a National Merit scholarship recipient and was my senior class valedictorian), and I chose UCD over Regis, DU, CU Boulder, CSU and Mines (all of which I was accepted to). The UHL program is wonderful, and gives the students in it so many more opportunities (and scholarships!). It is one of the top research universities in the country, and has strong ties to the UC Medical school and health programs at the Anschutz campus. I think it's an especially great school for pre-health studies (I'm pre-vet).

I haven't really noticed homeless people on campus except on the weekends (I do commute from home, so I am rarely on campus on the weekends). And the proximity to downtown is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver